News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Ice cold I.V. to reduce spinal injury on track?

Started by DavidV, September 13, 2007, 10:54:27 AM

DavidV

Wondering if this is a technique that is widely used? Kevin Everett, the Buffalo Bills player that was just injured, received an ice cold IV directly after the incident (by the Bill's medical staff).  They said this is what probably saved him and prevented him from being paralyzed.  http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070911/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_bills_everett_hurt

It seems like a good idea to me to employ at the track, if the EMT suspect a spinal injury. Is this possible?

Thoughts?

ScubaSteve

I know i didn't get it when I broke my neck. I did get the shot the helps in SCI victims. I never heard of this treatment until this week.

If it helps then it would be awesome to have. He's still not guarranted to walk but at the level break he received if he had cord damage he would be like christopher reeves was function wise. Any movement is better then none
Steve

CCS FL

DavidV

More in
Quote from: ScubaSteve on September 13, 2007, 11:00:36 AM
I know i didn't get it when I broke my neck. I did get the shot the helps in SCI victims. I never heard of this treatment until this week.

If it helps then it would be awesome to have. He's still not guarranted to walk but at the level break he received if he had cord damage he would be like christopher reeves was function wise. Any movement is better then none

Let's hope all is well. What is SC1 by the way?

Here is more info on the treatment they are using on him. They said it has to be administered within 3 hours?   http://www.comcast.net/news/health/index.jsp?cat=HEALTHWELLNESS&fn=/2007/09/13/762246.html&cvqh=itn_doctors

APP_Racing

I know a few Motocross guys that started wearing the (sp?) Leatt Brace this year and swear by it.  Seems that its function doesn't work as well on road bikes as the lean angle (of the body) makes it unwearable and you can't turn your head. 

But, isn't there a company that had ads out about such a devise for road racers?
A Dean
APP Racing LLC
St. Louis, MO
314-757-0364

Donate today!
www.redflagfund.org/

Burt Munro

Quote from: DavidV on September 13, 2007, 11:37:18 AM
More in
Let's hope all is well. What is SC1 by the way?

I think he wrote SCI as in Spinal Cord Injury.

I'm looking for an article that I just read related to research on lowering the body temperature to reduce brain swelling in traumatic head injuries.

Would have to be pretty much the same principle as the treatment mentioned for Spinal Cord Injuries.

I'll post it when I find it.
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

ScubaSteve

Quote from: Burt Munro on September 13, 2007, 08:01:34 PM
I think he wrote SCI as in Spinal Cord Injury.

I'm looking for an article that I just read related to research on lowering the body temperature to reduce brain swelling in traumatic head injuries.

Would have to be pretty much the same principle as the treatment mentioned for Spinal Cord Injuries.

I'll post it when I find it.

Ya SCI as in spinal cord injury.  Hopefully he can continue improving its really good he has movement so soon. The first 2 years are the most important movement wise
Steve

CCS FL