News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

What is a ‘racing incident’ you decide….

Started by raceday, September 12, 2007, 01:45:18 PM

Fair or foul or other?

This is a racing incident
Blues' bad
Reds' error
To close to call...

raceday

As part of an upcoming series of articles designed to use some cool media to evaluate and discus racing events we would like your opinion on this 'racing incident' http://www.totalracingsolutions.com/52/ (follow the 'here' link in the middle of the article).  In an effort to get through the up and coming winter we'll be reviewing all kinds of track events.  Thanks for playing...feel free to leave comments or suggestions for new topics to review.

Jeff

Was this a race or was this practice? That can make a world of difference.

Assuming it was a race, it is, well, a racing incident. In my humble opinion, the guy in the red picked a poor spot to pass and executed it poorly. He passed in a manner that caused him to basically blow the turn, giving the guy on the blue bike the opportunity to retake the position (which he was really obligated to do since it was a race). Then when the guy on the blue overtook him they collided.

Who is at fault? Tough call. If the guy on the red bike had planned his execution better, he wouldn't have been re-passed and clipped. It is "always the responsibility of the one doing the passing" to make sure they have the line and can complete the pass. In this case, he failed.

Looking at it though, from a RACING perspective they both did what they 'had to do' and, well, shit happens.

If this was practice, all bets are off and both of them should be kicked in the junk.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Speedballer347

imho, if its not intentional, it's a racing incident.  A bonehead move is still a racing incident.
Red bike made a clean pass but ran wide on exit.  Bluebike repassed, kinda looked like he checked up on the guy....but I wasn't there.  So I don't know what it was.  Cool video though  :thumb:
CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

Xian_13

Thats racing, Blue had the line... (his front wheel was there).
End of story.

XIII
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

Ducmarc

if you figure the camera bike is on the race line he's on the same line as the red bike. don't you think the red bike is on the race line and the blue bike is not.I think the blue bike is in control of the situation. the red could not do anything about it .I'd be pissed if i was on the red bike.

Speedballer347

CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

Super Dave

Super Dave

weggieman

From reoeated pausing the action it almost looks like the red bike braked too hard and lost it on his own. Rear tire off the ground. I don't know that the blue bike ever touched the red bike. Red bike screwed up but that's racing................ :ahhh:

Court Jester

The guy in back is responsible for making a clean pass.
The feller on the red bike didn't look like he was looking through the turn nearly as much as the guy on the blue bike. he crammed the break too hard.
If we're laying blame then the guy that went down is at fault. Right or wrong though, it's still racing.
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

Xian_13

After further review...

I doubt there was even contact made between bikes.
Had wheels touched, it would have been much more ugly then this pix.
Note the stiff arms on the bars and the upright position, Red bike was in freak mode.

XIII
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

weggieman

HAWK

Brake lever is on the wrong side to have been hit, Blue is running a much better line than red (red entered right hander from the wrong side of the track and early apexed) Red was looking at blue instead of through turn and at the last second paniced and flipped the bike with brakes. Like X said blue was in front (not just a wheel either his entire bike was ahead of red before turnin) so even if red had been on a good racing line he was obligated to make a clean pass where ever blue went
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

ZXYBCH

I'm not a racer, but I concur with most of the folks here - first of all, it doesn't even appear that there was physical contact between the bikes. It looks like Red jerked and grabbed too much front brake -

(Knowing how hesitant and uncomfortable I used to be in turns, and having done it, I know what it feels like, although thankfully I never went down!).

My uneducated $0.02,

S.
MARRC Cornerworker @ Summit Point
Street: 2002 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Track: 2000 SV650
CCS#872

I ride motorcycles cuz Daddy never got me that pony I wanted!

Simon

Yup, from that pic it sure looks lik he grabbed a big handfull. Done it myself, unfortunately.
MARRC Cornerworker
CCS AM 48
Always in the gravel, one way or another!
www.marrc.org

ekraft84

Here's the original discussion on the topic (with my thoughts on it as well).  Read all the posts if you have the time:

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=146216&highlight=eddie

There was contact BTW. 

In any event, it's been discussed thoroughly on the WERA board, so I won't post anything else here in regard to the matter.

Cheers,

Eddie Kraft

Eddie Kraft - #48
Witchkraft Racing
Honda East Racing - Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Aprilia

plasticweld

All I  know after reading the thread, those Wera guys are first class   :biggrin:
EmpireGP.com
Sport Bike Plastic Welding, Custom Painting Tank Repair
Ride Hard Take Chances    We Need the Work!

CCS WERA #865

raceday

Quote from: ekraft84 on September 13, 2007, 08:14:33 AM
Here's the original discussion on the topic (with my thoughts on it as well).  Read all the posts if you have the time:

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=146216&highlight=eddie

There was contact BTW. 

In any event, it's been discussed thoroughly on the WERA board, so I won't post anything else here in regard to the matter.

Cheers,

Eddie Kraft

this poll is not about ed kraft, as we originaly stated we are just looking at what people think about what is or isn't a racing incedent.  It's about your take on red guy and blue guy and how cool it is that evryone sees the same piece of footage a bit differently.

raceday

Probably should have said this before, the 'red guy' was fine, for the most part the bike was ok as well, thanks for your concern.