Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

resurection

ED is all that but.
maybe good advise has a deaf ear?
These guys are so busy thread jacking the don't read posts with good advice

EM JAY

Yep...simple solution...just needed the guidence!  Ed was on hand and talked me thru my virgin uncloging...or something like that... 

Big thanks for real Ed!
Michael Jordan
           CCS EX #??   ASRA #??
   01 SV Midwest
  Thanks to Expert Racing Ltd. in Chicago and Madness Custom Choppers of Fox Lake

grasshopper

So it was the low speed jets just like I told you or what?

Oh and by the way, when someone posts a problem like this I find it difficult to understand why people go with a complicated solution immediately. For example, the cams being off. I understand why that was brought up because Em Jay said that he had the cam swap done. I actually did the cam swap, double and triple checked the markings and timing and it was dead nuts on. After the swap and carb install the bike was brought down to Valley Racing for carb tune and dyno run and it was a running little son of bitch... 89 hp with 39mm flat slides and 03+ cam swap. Pretty damn good.

Again... So it was the low speed jets just like I told you or what?

grasshopper

Here are the markings for the 03+ cam swap. Follow along in the Suzuki manual exactly like it says to install the cams except use the marking on the picture for the old intake cams you are installing on the exhaust side.

What you need to do is order the front and rear 03+ intake cams. Install the 03+ intake cams exactly like the 99-02 SV manual says. The markings are identical. Take the old intake cams and install on the exhaust side with the marking on the picture. The new markings (in red) are where the markings are normally on the stock exhaust cams.

We have done this mod on 5 motors and it straight up makes the motor rip all throughout the rev range. It's not a bad idea to get a degree wheel out, but you can't adjust them anyway with out pressing new adjustable cam sprockets on. I have never had a problem with the timing being off and I beat the living shit out of all my SVs. Long track days, tons of street riding, burnouts, wheelies and racing. Never had a problem with this cam swap. Do it. 100 bucks per cam. 200 dollar mod. 5 to 6 hp gain.

grasshopper

That picture above kind of sucks, here's a better one. Where the arrow is on the cam is where the dowl of the cam chain should be and you count the specified number of dowls from the specified mark on the exhaust cam to the specified mark on the intake cam.

grasshopper

Oh one other thing. If you ever get the 1st gen cams mixed up with the 2nd gen cams observe the markings on the dark part of the cam in the center of the sprocket.

A,B,C,D - 1st gen

E,F,G,H - 2nd gen

EX_#76

Quote from: grasshopper on September 21, 2007, 11:01:16 AM
So it was the low speed jets just like I told you or what?

Oh and by the way, when someone posts a problem like this I find it difficult to understand why people go with a complicated solution immediately. For example, the cams being off. I understand why that was brought up because Em Jay said that he had the cam swap done. I actually did the cam swap, double and triple checked the markings and timing and it was dead nuts on. After the swap and carb install the bike was brought down to Valley Racing for carb tune and dyno run and it was a running little son of bitch... 89 hp with 39mm flat slides and 03+ cam swap. Pretty damn good.

Again... So it was the low speed jets just like I told you or what?

Ed said it was the pilot jets.  I stated in my first post that I am assuming everything in the carb is OK.  I did not realize that MJay did not know how to dismantle and clean his carbs (no offence dude).  He also did not state that someone other than he did the cam swap until a later post (again no offence).  So I thought that there may be a chance the cam timing was off.  Then we thread jacked and forgot about MJay altogeather.
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor

grasshopper

It's all good brotha! Em Jay called me before he even started this thread and told me what was going on. I told him to clean the pilot jets out. He must have had fluff in his ear.  :err:

So what's new Guy? Wanna go ride some dirt this weekend?

How about the Slimey Crud Run, are you going to do that the first Sunday of October? Show me some good twisty Wisconsin roads man!

EX_#76

Quote from: grasshopper on September 21, 2007, 12:29:15 PM
It's all good brotha! Em Jay called me before he even started this thread and told me what was going on. I told him to clean the pilot jets out. He must have had fluff in his ear.  :err:

So what's new Guy? Wanna go ride some dirt this weekend?

How about the Slimey Crud Run, are you going to do that the first Sunday of October? Show me some good twisty Wisconsin roads man!

Nothings new, can't ride dirt, got plans.  Slimey Crud might work out.  I won't be much fun to ride with, I am a sally on the street.  I am sure you can relate, seems that trying to go fast (?) on a street bike just isn't that much fun.  Racing kinda took the thrill out of that.   Give me a call or fire me an Email.   Maybe you can get Key to pull that RZ of his out for a ride.
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76

grasshopper

I'm going to try and get Gus (resurrection) to let me ride his custom CB750 cafe racer. It's a pretty cool machine.

Hmmm, a street ride with you and Ed Key, that outta be interesting.

EX_#76

Hey Ben,
I am a little confused about your post.  When you stated "We are getting a little more overlap at sustained high RPM then we would like" what did you mean?  More valve overlap is what you want to make upper end HP.  Did you mean you have a little more lobe separation than you want?  That would make more sense as you stated that it works so good everywhere else that its not worth messing with.  I am assuming that you meant that the bike is making good HP and or torque in the low to mid range RPM. 

More valve overlap generally helps with scavenging at the cost of low-end power.  The loss of low rpm power is due to opening the intake valve before the blow down of the exhaust gasses is complete.  The small amount pressure that exists in the cylinder as the intake begins to open causes a reversion pulse in the intake track.  This early opening also causes a little over scavenging, pulling a little of the fresh intake charge out the exhaust.

Please shed a little light on this for me.

Talk with ya later
Guy   
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76