Identifying tire compounds

Started by the_jarhead, September 07, 2007, 02:20:18 PM

the_jarhead

I have a stack of Michelin 16.5 slicks that I got from a racer who was "retiring".

They were all organized by compound but they got moved around and are now all mixed up. Does anyone know how I can identify the compounds?

Super Dave

I'd probably contact Walt Schaefer or Tom Mason direct.  The numbers change depending upon what you have, which carcass, etc.

Where are you located?
Super Dave

the_jarhead

I'm in Tampa

They are all 19/67-240 rear  12/60-420 front but the "stamp" isn't the same on all of them

Super Dave

I think Frank Kinsey is the Michelin tire guy there, so I'd probably talk to Walt Schaefer.

But I can't find his number.  I believe it's in Road Racing World...Walt Schaefer Cycle Supply.

Or you could contact Dave Hirsch through the Bibmen website.  He will probably have some answers too.
http://www.bibmen.com/que2004.html

Hope that gives you some direction.
Super Dave

benprobst

BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

benprobst

Walt Schaeffer  ---  256-538-5906. Walts the man, and one of the top dogs in the country, he can help you for sure.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565