News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Stopping short?

Started by tug296, September 04, 2007, 02:11:34 AM

tug296

First, I used to race with Dunlops, great tires, BUT!

When I heard that Sundays Superbike race was going to be shortened to 20 laps at the request of Dunlop, I didn't like the sound of that.
No one is more concerned about safety than myself, and if the other tire manufacturers agreed that their tires might not make it as well, that's fine.
But to read the story it sounded like Dunlop alone asked the AMA to shorten the event because their tires might not make it to the end, with no mention of any other manufacturer's problems or concerns.

Reminded me of the AMA giving in to Dunlop's request, that the West Banking at Daytona be eliminated after many exploding Dunlop tires, and near disasters for a few teams, no other tire makers had trouble that I know of.  That lead to the rinky-dink infield that ruined the flow of that great race track, in my opinion.

Where and when will Dunlop request another shortened race?  Maybe Laguna Seca will be shortened if their tires blister up again, maybe eliminate the East Banking at Daytona, just get rid of those pesky High Banks.
This is not right or fair to other tire manufacturers, riders, owners and fans, another rinky-dink and submissive move by the AMA that harms the state of Motorcycle Roadracing in the U.S.

I don't sound off much, but this kind of thing can't good for the sport.

Henry Madsen CCS Expert #396 
2004 Am. Super Twins Champion
Florida Region,  
Moto ST #96, Corvette #6, Patriot Guard Rider

Super Dave

There's a good thread going on on the WERA board. 

Seems like if a team or rider tire choice is bad, you're going to ride what you have or change the tire.  Isnt' that part of the reason why one chooses a tire or contracts with a tire manufacturer?

Stir, stir, stir...
Super Dave

DavidV

They should have made the rest of the grid switch to Pirelli if they wanted to race on Sunday.  That would force Dunlop to fix the problem in time for Laguna for sure  :biggrin:

Kind of screwy if you ask me. Tire manufacturers compete to make a tire that sticks AND lasts.  By shortening the length of the race, they show favoritism to Dunlop.  I don't care if 95% of the riders or whatever were on Dunlops.   Same deal if you're on a Yoshi Suzuki. Crash and they stop the race for you  :pop:

Jeff

The thread on the WERA forum really hits all angles.  Suffice it to say, this will be an interesting situation.

I can understand the AMA wanting to be as safe as possible,  but this sets a rather 'interesting' precedence. 

Probably the best call overall, as just as at Iowa speedway, if the organization doesn't make the call, sometimes the racers end up in a situation of unnecessary risk.  But I digress...  And, yes, it's all personal choice and the riders don't have anyone to blame but themselves, but nobody wants to see people get hurt.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest