Sparklers

Started by ccsvet, August 31, 2007, 11:13:38 AM

ccsvet

I have seen some discusion about toe sliders and sparky knee pucks and without starting a major issue I just want to know something. I understand the whole knee puck thing, it is just not needed. Now the toe slider issue, I think the metal sliders are a good thing, I may not have been the fastest but I know I lean over a lot. I have my toes on my pegs but still drag them, I have always done this and it is normal to me so metal makes sense to ME. I have been in and out of this addiction since I was 15 (1985) and have also heard people complain about bike parts draging. Is it that I am comfortable following someone draging a peg or boot? Heck when I started the pipes,pegs,kickstand mounts,cases,shifters and rear brake lever would drag. After sitting out 2 seasons I plan a return in 08' for what would be my 23rd season and was thinking about the Oxtar boots with the Ti sliders, are these a no no? Now I will get to the point, are these things a problem because they distract or is it something else?

Thanks
Jim

GSXR RACER MIKE

I had an experience with someone at Heartland Park this season when they made a very aggresive inside pass on me during the 1st lap then started throwing sparks while leaned over really far. I thought they had bitten off more than they could chew and were going down, but that wasn't the case after all - they had metal toe sliders. For me it was that split second where I saw sparks as a warning that they might be going down at the exit of the turn due to bottoming out a solid mount footpeg or something, after having been pushed wide by his pass I was now potentially going to be tangled up in any crash he might fabricate for himself. I adjusted my line slightly further inside to try and avoid that possibility, that resulted in me making a correction into another racers line who was hauling ass really close to me up the inside and almost getting into a wreck with that person. After having my apex removed by the toe slider guy my line was forced wide, which wasn't a big deal, but then when I thought he was going down it was an issue because I would have almost for sure been involved in his wreck - all as a domino effect because of toe sliders.

I see no positive reason for sliders that are purposefully designed to generate sparks in a racing evironment, it's an unsafe distraction which creates question as to what is happening with that rider. Plus if your closely following someone using them your getting sprayed with a shower of sparks, I was actually getting sparks coming right at my helmet's face shield while leaned over in a fast turn. In case your not involved in manufacturing - different metals throw different types, colors, lengths, and sizes of sparks. The choice of metal the slider manufacturers are using isn't accidental, it's used because of it's ability to throw lot's of sparks.

If your in a situation where your going thru an excessive amount of toe sliders you should probably look into how your foot placement is or possibly get different rearsets for the footpegs. Sliders that throw sparks are a dangerous choice in my opinion.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Marsolais

At hockenhiem the german guys will use anything that sparks. I've seen guys with screws put in there knee pucks just to spark. I totally understand the reason behind using nonsparking material. Sparks cause unnecessary distractions and could lead to problems as described above. If you are worried about burning threw your toe sliders and into your boot then do what everyone else does. Either buy adjustable rearsets and set them up higher or replace your toe sliders after each race. Simple as that.

ccsvet

Thanks guys,
I was just wondering if it was because of the distraction factor or something else. I guess if I can afford this addiction I can afford a couple of extra sliders. Good luck and thanks.

Jim