News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

CCS Summit Point Shenny Weekend

Started by TheHiriser, August 26, 2007, 10:52:57 PM

TheHiriser

First the upside of the weekend which was a brutal scorcher on Saturday at first and much more pleasant on Sunday.

We were paid a visit by "Evil" Ed and his lovely companion Rhonda (Rhoda) this weekend from the Midwest Safety Crew.  It was a pleasure working with them and they fit in with our crew seamlessly.  I was given a gift of a Midwest Safety Crew shirt, which is fantastic by the way and I wore it that night around the paddock after my shower.  Thanks to the two of them for coming out and playing with us and we welcome you both back anytime.  You both were outstanding in the corners and on the radios.  I will definitely be coming to your neck of the woods to play with you guys.  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:

We had a new track record set by Mr Lloyd Bailey (117), once again I don't remember it outright but it was in the 1:28's, about one thousandth shy of a full second off the old record.  He was riding the wheels off that thing, as well as the forks (bottoming out and the reason for going down in 6) and the muffler (the reason for the sparks everywhere else).  Props Mr. Bailey, it is awesome to watch you ride.   :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:

We were once again blessed with Mrs. Lesley Whalley and her family running our cafe.  We were spoiled throughout the weekend with all kinds of goodies.  We had NY strip steaks for dinner on Saturday night, salads, dressings, potato's, it just goes on and on.  Candy, gum, trail mix, breakfast bar, fruit of all kinds and all sorts of other portable snacks to take out on the turns.  There isn't enough thanks in the world for what they provided to us.  Mrs. Whalley and crew, you ROCK.  Taking a page from Simon, the food was the dogs bollocks (I hope that was right).  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:

We had some outstanding racing going on courtesy of CCS and all the racers that came out.  A lot of tight battles were going on both days.  Made my job in control very hard at times as I was wanting to watch the spectacular passing I was hearing about from all over the track.  Thank you once again to all the cornerworkers and safety crew for coming out and for making my job easy in Control with outstanding calls.  I know I've said it often but with you guys making those calls my job is easy (the way I like it).  You once again made everything run smoothly even with a short crew.  I'm proud to be a part of MARRC.

An engagement announcement was made as well.  Congratulations to you both.  :cheers: I hope you find many many years of happiness together.  I'll let you post it up on here if you so desire. 

Now the downside, we had an airlift on Sunday.  Pretty bad get off in T1, a lowside that ended up into the tire wall and soft barriers.  I was running Control and didn't see the incident but from descriptions it wasn't good.  I won't go into details out of respect for the rider and his family but we are all hoping things get better.  Well wishes from the entire MARRC crew go out to him and his family.  We are all pulling for you.  We are hoping for a good update soon.

A pretty crazy storm passed through Saturday evening, lightning which caused us to shut down before the last race, hail pelting everyone and rain coming from all directions.   It didn't seem to matter where you stood under cover, it was hitting you from all sides.  All this as our cafe crew was finishing up our aforementioned dinner.  A lightning strike hit so close a fellow cornerworker and I hit the deck in the tower.  Scary but also a tad funny as we both had the self preservation to take cover.

castle228

Wow Mike, you should start blogging. Very well done.

To the Whalley crew, thank you, thank you, thank you for a wonderful weekend of food!  :cheers:

Allen, thanks for being in Control Saturday and Mike, thank you for Sunday. I know it's not fun, but DAYUM, you two both kick arse up there!  :thumb:

To Ed & Rhonda, like Mike said, thanks for coming out and playing with us. It was a pleasure to have you two join us.

A HUGE thank you to everyone else that came out and worked this weekend and endured the intense heat and humidity. You guys and girls make me proud to be part of the MARRC family.  :kissy:
Chris Astle
CCS MA AM #458
MARRC Cornerworker 
www.marrc.org

Kuala76

Also my thank yous to the Whalley family for the great!! Great!!! nourishment provided for us.  We were WELL taken care of this weekend!   :thumb:

Despite being short handed we sure pulled together as a group - worked as a complete team to provide the best safety crew they could ask for!  And to say that Ed and Rhonda "fit in seamlessly" is actually an understatement!!!  Hopefully you will come out and play with us again!!!

Allen and Mike - thanks for doing a great job in control and thanks for the updates regarding lap times and results!!  We are, after all, race fans and appreciate the info out there! 

A special thanks to ALL for helping to give Tyler his birthday surprise.  You guys really are a second family to us!!!  :kissy:  He was thrilled and certainly surprised! 

My best goes out to the down rider and hope for a speedy and full recovery.  The Chaplains, I'm sure, will be following up with the family. 
Kumi
MARRC Corner Worker of the Year 2008
MARRC Vice President 2012
MARRC President 2013

Guzz

I know I don't do corner work and this is your section, but I wanted to pop in and Thank you guys for another GREAT weekend. I just take the pictures, but you guys make my time at the track so much more fun and enjoyable!

Thanks Again!
GUZZ~

PRESIDENT- Mid-Atlantic Road Racing Club
www.marrc.org

Kuala76

Quote from: Guzz on August 27, 2007, 10:23:06 AM
I know I don't do corner work and this is your section

Hey, we don't discriminate around here, we welcome all!!  :thumb: Especially those who look out for use with extra water and candy  :thumb: :thumb:!  I'm sure you got some great shots this weekend, there was some great racing going on!!
Kumi
MARRC President 2013

TheHiriser

Quote from: Guzz on August 27, 2007, 10:23:06 AM
I know I don't do corner work and this is your section, but I wanted to pop in and Thank you guys for another GREAT weekend. I just take the pictures, but you guys make my time at the track so much more fun and enjoyable!

Thanks Again!

You guys are out there in the heat and humidity just like us and working your arses off as well getting pictures.  You are just about part of the crew at this point.  Thank you Guzz for taking the time to take the pictures of our crew.

TheHiriser

Quote from: castle228 on August 27, 2007, 08:30:48 AM
Wow Mike, you should start blogging. Very well done.

Allen, thanks for being in Control Saturday and Mike, thank you for Sunday. I know it's not fun, but DAYUM, you two both kick arse up there!  :thumb:

Thanks Chris, I'm practicing for the newsletter I think. 

And no problem with Control, I honestly think I'm loosening up a bit on my disliking of it.  It is fun trying to keep everyone entertained when there is downtime.

Simon

Quote from: TheHiriser on August 27, 2007, 07:42:27 PM

And no problem with Control, I honestly think I'm loosening up a bit on my disliking of it.  It is fun trying to keep everyone entertained when there is downtime.
Bollocks....you just like the A/C :biggrin:
MARRC Cornerworker
CCS AM 48
Always in the gravel, one way or another!
www.marrc.org

TheHiriser

Actually we didn't have it on and I had the window in front of me and to the side of me open.  And I spent about half my time outside so I could watch the racing better.

I actually laughed when Alan Muse said to a guy that walked in and commented about the lack of AC something along lines of "we like to be in the same conditions as our cornerworkers."

Kuala76

I was lucky on both Saturday and Sunday.  Turn 2 on Saturday had a beautiful breeze and same with Turn 4 on Sunday! 
Kumi
MARRC President 2013

TheHiriser

Seemed like the place to really cool down was either the bathroom (I'd get goosebumps every time I walked in there) or the storage room in the middle of the bathrooms.  The AC up in the tower was sporadic at best on Sunday.

castle228

Mike, what happens to you in the bathroom is best left there, my friend.  :rollseyes:
Chris Astle
CCS MA AM #458
MARRC Cornerworker 
www.marrc.org

TheHiriser

Just as long as the person next to me doesn't start tapping on the wall or sliding his foot over it's all good.

catman

pretty crazy storm passed through Saturday evening, lightning which caused us to shut down

@ SUMMIT? magin that! :ahhh: :lmao:

eviled98

Well...  I just wanted to let you all know that we got back home safely! Your hospitality was the best! Going into a strange situation is always a little unsettling, this was my first "road game" as a corner marshall but you people made us feel very welcome. Thank -you for everything and if any of you think you might want to work at Black Hawk Farms or Road America, let me know and I'll steer you to the good stuff.  Ed

TheHiriser

Quote from: eviled98 on August 31, 2007, 10:55:30 PM
Well...  I just wanted to let you all know that we got back home safely! Your hospitality was the best! Going into a strange situation is always a little unsettling, this was my first "road game" as a corner marshall but you people made us feel very welcome. Thank -you for everything and if any of you think you might want to work at Black Hawk Farms or Road America, let me know and I'll steer you to the good stuff.  Ed

I'm definitely in for coming out next year.  Very interested in working the AMA event but also want to work something on the club level with you guys.  Once again thanks for the shirt.  I've received a lot of compliments on it.  As already stated the two of you are welcome back anytime.   :thumb: :cheers:

Kuala76

Ed!  Glad to hear you made it back safely!!  :thumb:  You guys delt with a lot of "unfriendly" weather!  Thanks again for coming out!  Hope you will plan your trip next year and bless us with your company again!!  :thumb: :thumb: :cheers:
Kumi
MARRC President 2013