News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Resurrected bmw

Started by resurection, August 26, 2007, 09:19:28 PM

resurection

Have any of you race guys ridden an old BMW .
This 1980 r65 got new Brembo rebuild ,pads and carb service .
Twin discs up front and boy do they stop this little bike.
What a pleasent ride for a sunday afternoon .No temptation to do wheelies ,stopies,no arm pump just a pleasent ride .
Maybe I'm getting old

dylanfan53

Hey, that's not that old.  Watch it fella.  :biggrin:

Yeah, I had one of them before I got a K100RS the first year they made it.  The R65 really was a sweet machine to ride.  I was on a Yamaha 650 twin ('77 I think it was, maybe a little older) that I rode all over the country.  I stopped in a BMW dealership just to take a breather.  I ended up test riding the R65 just for fun and that was the end of the Yamaha.  The difference was ginormous.   It felt smooth as silk with hardly any vibration and a seat posture a little more forward so I wasn't buffeted by the wind like I was on the Yamaha.  I rode home with a brand new shiny black R65 that afternoon. 

Unfortunately, like most  bikes I've owned I wrecked the beemer.  It was a few years later right in front of the picture window of a hair salon. It wrapped around a telephone pole after I bailed off.  All these women in capes and curlers came running out from underneath those big hair dryer thingies to see if I was hurt.  It should have been in America's Funniest videos.    :lmao:

I still look for them in Ebay and think about it.  The bike that is...not the women in curlers.  (Beat you to it, Ricky "Burt").  :biggrin:
Don Cook
CCS #53

resurection

The old bikes have more stories,romance and personality in my opinion.
And are worth every moment wait hour I spend on them,some young punks think I'm nuts!
but us old bikers know with time they learn.

dylanfan53

Yeah...well...I could call tickling an Amal carb until my fingers smell like gas romantic but if I did these guys would make fun of me.   :biggrin:
Don Cook
CCS #53

resurection

People with limited knowledge of such things would have a hard time even talking bikes with the likes of you let alone poke fun!!!

Noidly1

Smurf This.
I have a '78 1/2 T140E Triumph Bonniville 750. '78 electrics w/ 79 fuel.
'08 R6, CCSGP44EX

resurection

See another 40 somthing knows a thing or two

Burt Munro

Quote from: dylanfan53 on August 26, 2007, 10:58:25 PM
Yeah...well...I could call tickling an Amal carb until my fingers smell like gas romantic but if I did these guys would make fun of me.   :biggrin:

The thought of you 'NOT' searching for ladies with their hair in big curlers on ebay and you 'NOT' getting aroused by playing with a carburetor has me deeply disturbed about you Don.  But I can't figure out which one bothers me more!! :ahhh:
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

weggieman

I still ride an '84 R100RS Beemer almost daily. Great bike.

resurection

Isn't that the one they called the last edition?
My brotherinlaw has the same bike .Once on a trip back from RA another friend was busting his balls about how his H.D.could beat the BMW home (180miles).
They bet the next years super ticket.So my brother just kind of keeped up ,letting the H.D. rider have his fun .
Then we stop for dinner @A&Won 94 south my brother asks if the bet is still on and of course the H.D. guy made some wise crack and we all left together .I was riding a GS1100E .As the pace increased Istayed with BMW and watched the poor fella on H.D trying to keep up @ about 85 for 10 miles my brother slowed for a second smiled and waved good by .That was a lesson my H.D. friend will never forget!

HAWK

My summer commuter.

Oh yea, fun at the track too.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

resurection

I've seen BMWs still running with that much tape holding them together!

weggieman

Mine is not the last edition model but yeah '84 was supposed to be the last of the airhead beemers.

HAWK

I thought all the 84's were last editions.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

resurection

Me to
I'm sure it was nothing but some stickers maybe yours was repainted?

Burt Munro

Everything I've ever known was that the oil-head era started in 1994.
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

HAWK

I believe though that the K bikes were supposed to retire the Airheads in 84 and it didn't go over very well, the airheads came back and then evolved into the oilheads.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413