Propylene Glycol antifreeze okay for bikes?

Started by ZXYBCH, August 20, 2007, 11:23:12 AM

ZXYBCH

It's time to flush and fill the coolant on my bike.

(History digression: bought her in March of this year; 2002, previous owner only put 3481 miles on her in 5 years, coolant perhaps never changed, AFAIK.)

I would REALLY like to use the non-toxic propylene glycol antifreeze (I'm pretty environmentally conscious), unless it is contraindicated. The manual doesn't say anything about NOT using it; it just statesethylene glycol.

Anyone have any experience with this?

On another note: Any opinions on Valvoline's Motorcycle Formula for an oil change?

TIA,
S.
MARRC Cornerworker @ Summit Point
Street: 2002 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Track: 2000 SV650
CCS#872

I ride motorcycles cuz Daddy never got me that pony I wanted!

Super Dave

Propylene glycol is fine to use in a bike.

Whether it is completely "environmentally safe" is another story, but it's probably better than ethylene glycol.

Oil?  Well, I haven't used that.  I use Rotella T in just about everything I have, including bikes, cars, bus, and lawn mowers.   You could have a thousand posts on oil ideas.
Super Dave

ZXYBCH

Hmm. From Wikipedia:

Propylene glycol is used:

As a moisturizer in medicines, cosmetics, food, toothpaste, and tobacco products
As a carrier in fragrance oils
As a main ingredient in many cosmetic products, including baby wipes, bubble baths, deodorants, shampoos, and hair dyes
As a medical and sexual lubricant (A.K.A. "personal lubricant") 
As a non-toxic antifreeze

My bike really WILL be a ZXY BCH..... :spank:

(or should it be  :jerkoff:) ......

ANYWAY:
QuoteWhether it is completely "environmentally safe" is another story, but it's probably better than ethylene glycol.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has determined propylene glycol to be "generally recognized as safe" for use in food, cosmetics, and medicines. Like ethylene glycol, propylene glycol affects the body's chemistry by increasing the amount of acid. Propylene glycol is metabolized into lactic acid, which occurs naturally as muscles are exercised, while ethylene glycol is metabolized into oxalic acid, which is toxic.

THIS is the part I'm interested in. Having been a vet tech in a past life, I saw several animals come in for treatment for antifreeze ingestion. With ethylene glycol, even if the animal is treated right away, the long-term damage is done, and prognosis is not particularly good.

So propylene glycol it will be. Thanks!
S.

CCS#872

GSXR RACER MIKE

http://evanscooling.com/main27.htm, Expensive, but great stuff, completely water free. Lifetime coolant, doesn't begin to boil till 370*, and doesn't freeze till life ceases to exist for humans!

Alot of reading material on their site, including the environmental stuff.  :thumb:
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

ZXYBCH

Quotehttp://evanscooling.com/main27.htm, Expensive,

OY. You aren't kidding - $32.50/gal, with 4 gallons needed? PLUS they want you to buy the Prep Fluid at $28/gal.

Yikes.

Thanks for the recommendation, but a little out of my price range for what it is. (I'll never be able to afford a track bike and leathers if I spend $150 on coolant!)

S.
CCS#872

Super Dave

Why do you need four gallons?  Four bikes?

I haven't used the Prep Fluid myself.

There are other PG based products out there, but you're getting PG mixed with water for about the same cost.

I've use RV anti-freeze quite often, at about $3 a gallon, which is a water an PG mix.  And it's pink.
Super Dave

Super Dave

Evans is really designed as a permanant replacement...meaning that you're not going to remove it for a long, long time. 

I'm using one of their products full strength in my bus.  With wet liners in that diesel, water is the enemy.  Evans eliminates water complete.  Takes more than four gallons too.  I'm really budget concious, but, for that application, it was valuable.
Super Dave

resurection

If that's a picture of you doing a stopie .
Don't even worry about the oil you use .
Worry about starvation .Wheelies and stopies will kill your motor long before the type of oil you use !!!!!
Ive built 10 SV motors from 70hp to94hp and only the street motors being stunted have failed .
Du to starvation!!!!!
No wheelies @the track you know!!!

ZXYBCH

QuoteIf that's a picture of you doing a stopie .
Don't even worry about the oil you use .

Uh, no, that is definitely NOT me.

I am a woman; the person doing the stoppie is a guy.

I mean, I KNOW I'm not a girly-girl, but c'mon..... :rollseyes:
CCS#872

resurection

I'm sorry
I've had my manhood challenged before ,maybe they never saw the reel me either.
Mobil 1 oil costs alittle more but synthetic oil last twice as long ,avoid short rides as they don't burn off condensation ,keep both wheels on the ground and you will never have an oil related failure