Scariest Cornerworking Incident

Started by TheHiriser, August 17, 2007, 02:42:46 PM

TheHiriser

In working with motorcycles you're bound to have seen some crazy, wild or scary stuff.

What is the craziest, wildest or scariest thing you've seen while cornerworking?  Or one of each.  I'm going to have to think about mine to narrow down some.

Kuala76

There are many...but the one that sticks in my mind the most is when I saw Terrance get run over in turn 5  :ahhh:  :ahhh:, or maybe it was my first day as a corner captain when I had a bike come through the chute ON FIRE - opposite side of the track, rider down and not moving - only 5 feet from the blazing bike !!  :ahhh: :ahhh:

~For those who don't know - Terrance did break his neck and had subsequent surgery, but made a full return to racing the very next season.

~The guy with the bike on fire was fine as well, just winded - bike fared okay as well, in fact he ran some more races with the fire damaged plastics  :thumb: :thumb:
Kumi
MARRC Corner Worker of the Year 2008
MARRC Vice President 2012
MARRC President 2013

Simon

Quote from: TheHiriser on August 17, 2007, 02:42:46 PM
What is the craziest, wildest or scariest thing you've seen while cornerworking?  Or one of each.  I'm going to have to think about mine to narrow down some.
You've gotta be kidding me....some of the shit thats happened....ok, good point....I need to think about this before I start posting!!!!!
MARRC Cornerworker
CCS AM 48
Always in the gravel, one way or another!
www.marrc.org

Woofentino Pugrossi

Watching Kevin Gordon come out of T5 at BHF into a tank slapper and end up going off into the trees riders left before T6.

Wasnt working for these next 2 incedents.
1. seen a guy tumble own the straight at BHF from the tower to the turn and the 2nd gy involved tumbling about 100'. back in 99.

2. New racer the year before we got the airfence went head on into the tires at T4 after being spooked (what it appeared to me).
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

TheHiriser

Okay so I couldn't narrow it down to one so I chose three.

1) The story I tell all new cornerworkers that get put with me.  My first day on the track after being trained I'm put with Simon in T5 at SP.  Guy comes into view from up the chute flying across the track.  Bike hits the wall, cloud of dust and lose sight of both bike and rider.  Rider comes into view looking like a rag doll and comes to a stop underneath the flag tub.  Simon and I both run over to him crossing the hot track.  The guy was hyperventilating and unconscious.  Pretty damn scary for my first day on the track.  Everything worked out though.  He walked away and I can't remember what injuries if any he sustained.  Needless to say a pretty hard knock to the head.

2)  Captaining T8 and I see a guy tank slap going up the hill.  He ends up high siding and the last thing I see are his feet over his head, still hanging on the bike and it almost looks like he is looking back at me.  I take off running up the hill riders left.  I called into control to let them know there was a situation and asked the people in T9 tub to relay and get no response (T8 is tricky with control, transmissions don't always go through).  Still running I repeat my call to control and T9.  A couple of seconds later I crest the top of the hill to see 5 riders and 4 bikes down.  The captain of T10 called a stoppage just as I was reaching for the mic.  Then I see a rider coming counter race back up the hill.  He had run over the initial guy that high sided.  The fifth bike was in the woods pretty deep.

3)  Guy comes into T1 way hot and goes all the way through the gravel trap and into the woods.  I was working deep T1/2 and was expecting to see a mangled mess.  I see the bike first and after listening hear the guy moaning.  He ended up in a depression out of my line of sight.  He ended up just getting his bell rung.  He later came down to take pictures and I showed him his line through the gravel trap and out the back.  He brought a case of beer to the cornerworker area later as a reward for our efforts.

There are so many more as Simon alluded to and more than likely more to come.  All in all I'm glad all my riders lived to tell about their mishaps and I'm glad I was there to lend a hand when needed.

fightinflames

ok i've read enough I'll share a few,  by far the worst incident i have ever seen was in T-6 on the main course at Summit however I'm not going to go into it.  the other one was working T-1 and had a guy lose the front under brakes at about the 2nd brake marker he slide down the middle of the track and his bike went down, hit the dirt jumped back up ,hit the embankment on riders right flipped about 7 or 8 times heading right for my flagger (who at the time was behind the armcoe) the bike ended up destroyed about 4 feet short of the armcoe and the rider was ok. but it was by far a very scary moment. now as for the rest i have way to many to tell so I'll leave it with just those two.

Allen

Simon

Quote from: fightinflames on August 20, 2007, 04:05:03 PM
ok i've read enough I'll share a few,  by far the worst incident i have ever seen was in T-6 on the main course at Summit however I'm not going to go into it. 
Yeah, my worst ones I don't want to share, mainly because I went through them once and don't want to think about them anymore.

One I will share was when me and Chris Astle were working in turn one at Summit. We were all the way against the concrete at the skid pad, probably 100 feet from the track, when a guy went down on the brakes. The bike slid like a rocket into the gravel trap, caught something and went straight up in the air about 30 feet. It was in the air long enough for Chris and me to look at one another, go "Oh Shit!!!" and take off running in opposite directions and then watch the bike land right where we ran from :ahhh: Thats the only time I've seen a bike clear that monster gravel trap.
MARRC Cornerworker
CCS AM 48
www.marrc.org

castle228

Yup, Simon, that's one I share all the time.

The other is from last season, Sara's first time ever to the track. We're in the tub in T9, a female racer hi-sided thru the right hander in T8, held on to her bars as she's tossed up over the widescreen. She was in such a position so that the top of her helmet was almost touching the front tire, with she was looking right at the front numbers on her bike. Her bike turned left and she rode directly into the tire wall, with her head being in between the bike and tires, at about 40 mph.

Was one of the scariest incidents I've ever seen.
Chris Astle
CCS MA AM #458
MARRC Cornerworker 
www.marrc.org

P_M

Does one have to be a cornerworker to post a story?  .. Or are other close in folks allowed to contribute?
Ok, so I'm faster with my camera then you are with your bike..

Black Cowboy Hats - Keep the sun off my neck.
Nikon (because I use the best)
RnR Cycles - Great folks, great service
Team Pro-Motion - Just for the fun of it..
Photographing the Racing because I love the Sport and you folks ROCK!

Simon

Quote from: P_M on August 24, 2007, 08:34:17 AM
Does one have to be a cornerworker to post a story?  .. Or are other close in folks allowed to contribute?
Go ahead, we're not biased. A good story is a good story, after all.
MARRC Cornerworker
CCS AM 48
www.marrc.org

P_M

Ok, let's see.. where to start..

1) Earlier this season, at Summit Main, watched a rider highside coming through 9.  For some reason, he deathgripped the bars and was flipped over and through his windshield, then dropped to the track and through the lens I watched as his front wheel ran over his head.  He slid to a stop not ten feet from me and turned out to be just fine. 

2) Last year.  At VIR I was at pit in, shooting the exit of T17/18 - When a rider started a low side slide, saved it then went into a high side.  Rider, sliding off track now as the bike hits the curbing and bounces into the air.  Rider stops bouncing as the bike comes down.. I have a shot in my archives of a bike sliding across the grass.. an arm sticking out from under one side and a boot protruding from under the swingarm on the other side.  Rider was transported.

3) A couple of years ago.  Summit Main, T10.  Rider highsides, the bike behind him was working on a pass and suddenly has the rider he was trying to pass pitched in front of him.  First rider gets broadsided by the second bike at close to the ton.  Second bike and rider go down, pitching the second rider to the blacktop.  Third bike trying to avoid the second bike hits the first bike and is catapulted into the air.  Watched though the lens as it tumbles and bounces with rider three skimming across the gravel trap like a stone on a lake.  The first rider comes to a stop and doesn't move.  The second riders (visible in a blow up of one shot) head just misses getting the spinning rear wheel of bike three in the face shield by about 4 inches. as it passes right over him.. Riders two and three will walk off bruised and sore.  Rider one is transported.

4) Shooting a private event for a specific riders use.  His group is in so I'm sitting in an empty flagging station staying out of the sun to wait for his group to come back out when a rider high sides through the turn I'm sitting at.  He lands hard and rag dolls to about ten feet from me his bike hitting the tires about twenty or so feet down track from me.  Rider doesn't move so I hop the wall screaming and waving my arms to the single flagger working the next station.  I get to the rider and he's still not moving.  I signal to the flagger for the 'bus and this person (not a pro by any stretch of the imagination) is angrily waving at me to get away from the track.  It seemed like minutes going by without the rider answering me and bikes are still whizzing by at pace, me kneeling there with my arms over my head trying to get a flag.. some help.. something..  Rider finally stirs, groans and I try to talk to him while signaling for help.  Person working the flag station is now moving in my direction waving for me to get back over the tires and away from the track.  Then he runs back to his station and pulls the red flag.  Seems one of the riders reported the situation to 'control' and now help was on the way.  Rider would be alright but since he was knocked out for a minute or two .. The EMT's weren't taking chances.  Corner person yelled at me for not running down to tell him what had happened and since I wasn't 'staff' I couldn't be where I was doing what little I did, he threatens to have me ejected from the event.   I almost smacked him.  (as I understand it 'Control' reamed him a new one over his ignoring the "A" sign - and not calling in a down rider)

I really have a lot of respect for you guys out there.. and if I haven't said it enough.. Thanks.. really.. That last story was my scariest, since I was there with a down rider and felt.. well.. useless, frustrated, angry and scared all at the same time.  All I could think about was 'what if it's really serious.. and I can't get anyone to send help and this poor guy'.. well.. you know where I'm going..

castle228

Chris Astle
CCS MA AM #458
MARRC Cornerworker 
www.marrc.org

P_M

Quote from: castle228 on August 24, 2007, 10:37:35 AM
That you Peter?

Yep, I know, I'm not wearing my black hat in my picture.. but then again.. I don't have my camera with me either..

Recognized one of the stories huh? 

castle228

Yep, and your reference of seeing stuff through the lens and "P_M". I know, Simon, Mike and Kumi might tell people that I'm not good at putting 2 & 2 together....but this is proof!   :biggrin: :ass:
Chris Astle
CCS MA AM #458
MARRC Cornerworker 
www.marrc.org

Simon

We never said you weren't good at putting two and two together, we just can't figure out why you say it comes to three! :lmao:
MARRC Cornerworker
CCS AM 48
www.marrc.org

Kuala76

Quote from: P_M on August 24, 2007, 11:56:55 AM
Recognized one of the stories huh? 

NOTE - STORY #4 did NOT involve ANY MARRC Corner Workers  :thumb: :thumb:
Kumi
MARRC President 2013

TheHiriser

It would have been a story with a much happier ending.

P_M

Quote from: Kuala76 on August 24, 2007, 12:15:51 PM
NOTE - STORY #4 did NOT involve ANY MARRC Corner Workers  :thumb: :thumb:

If MARRC had been there.. I probably wouldn't have been the one going over the tires.  I know the flagger would have seen (at least heard) the rider go down and made the call.. I know the red and 'bus flags would have been out and I'm sure the EMT's and additional help would have been there before the guy came too..

The sad part is that there are folks out there that think they know what to do, when to do it and how to do it.  And the only time it comes out that they are a lost cause is when the excrement strikes the roational air movement device..  I don't know if people have an idea of just how much work and prep you guys put into a weekend.  And then when it does happen, you guys seem to just move like you got a purpose and make things happen.. I think some folks take that for granted that everyone is as prepared as you are..   And that story shows you.. Not by a long shot.

Guzz

Ok since you aren't biased, I was by some corner workers, and I still need 15 POSTS!

Who remembers turn 4 in the WERA races this past June when Lloyd Bayley and #50 (can't remember his name) come screaming down the hill and decide to bang each other and they both lowside and the bikes come flying at me right behind the tire wall. I am jumping out of the way as the bikes hit the tire wall, go straight up in the air and #50's bike snaps in half and his battery goes sailing over my head. Then as the dust clears and Lloyd and he quit arguing, Lloyd walks over to me and says "Hey Guzz, get any pictures of that?"  :wtf:

I headed to the green room for a few minutes :)
GUZZ~

PRESIDENT- Mid-Atlantic Road Racing Club
www.marrc.org

Kuala76

LOL Guzz....good one ! AND you only need ONE MORE POST!!!  :cheers:
Kumi
MARRC President 2013

TheHiriser

I know someone who could contribute to this thread after this past weekend.

ZXYBCH

MARRC Cornerworker @ Summit Point
Street: 2002 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Track: 2000 SV650
CCS#872

I ride motorcycles cuz Daddy never got me that pony I wanted!

TheHiriser

Quote from: P_M on August 27, 2007, 03:19:55 PMI don't know if people have an idea of just how much work and prep you guys put into a weekend. 

Some of our own people don't even know how much work goes on before and after the weekend is over.  Simply put we do it for the love of the sport just like you.

But thanks for the kind words Peter, they are much appreciated.

Kuala76

Quote from: TheHiriser on August 27, 2007, 07:01:22 PM
I know someone who could contribute to this thread after this past weekend.

I know I know I know who!!!!  :ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh:
Kumi
MARRC President 2013

ZXYBCH

CCS#872

Kuala76

Quote from: ZXYBCH on August 28, 2007, 09:29:59 AM
8)

Just so you know - you did a great job under less than ideal circumstances!  :cheers:
Kumi
MARRC President 2013

ZXYBCH

I really appreciate hearing that. It was intimidating enough being a new "captain."

Until Vadim is around to take part in the conversation, I will refrain from discussing said incident here, or anywhere, out of respect to him and his family.

CCS#872

Kuala76

Quote from: ZXYBCH on August 28, 2007, 11:02:53 AM
Until Vadim is around to take part in the conversation, I will refrain from discussing said incident here, or anywhere, out of respect to him and his family.

Totally understood and well respected position!

At least you didn't jump the wall....  :rollseyes:  :ahhh: :ahhh:
Kumi
MARRC President 2013

castle228

I agree, you did extremely well, and made good calls concerning the incident. You told control exactly what he needed to know.
Chris Astle
CCS MA AM #458
MARRC Cornerworker 
www.marrc.org

ZXYBCH

QuoteAt least you didn't jump the wall.... 
Uh, that's cuz I was already on the track side of the wall, where ASD Astle told me to stand..... :err:

Quoteyou did extremely well, and made good calls concerning the incident.
Much appreciated, hearing that. I'm too new to kick myself for "shoulda coulda woulda"s, only because I don't know everything yet, but I am still going over it wondering if there was anything I could have done better, or can do better for **god forbid** next time.

Thanks, guys. Glad to be a part of the team.  :thumb:
CCS#872

Guzz

I really appreciate hearing that. It was intimidating enough being a new "captain."

I was standing right behind you the whole time. Not only did you handle everything by the book, you took control of what was trying to become a caoutic situation and made it a complete safe environment for all the racers still on the track as well as the spectators and the fallen racer. I commend the way you handled everything, and even though I think you are kinda grumpy, I would be on your corner anytime!

And if you are second guessing yourself or anybody else is, DON'T. It was a bad situation that was handled 100% correctly by the M.A.R.R.C. Safety Crew until turned over to the medics and CCS Race directors.
GUZZ~

PRESIDENT- Mid-Atlantic Road Racing Club
www.marrc.org

ZXYBCH

Quoteeven though I think you are kinda grumpy

Hahahaha - that's all an act, to keep me single. When you act like a beyotch, people stay away.  :lmao:
CCS#872

Josh Shriver 07

This is Josh Shriver and I just wanted to say thanks for everything and this weekend was fun and with alot of action. I can't wait to get back to races again when I am finished with college I will miss you guys be safe .  I have the down rider in my prayers also his family and team mates.

Kuala76

Hey Josh!  Thanks for coming out!  :thumb:  Our next weekend is September 8-9 on the Main course - will we see you then??  :cheers:

PS.  If you want your PMs...go here http://www.ccsforum.com/index.php/topic,18206.0.html  :biggrin:
Kumi
MARRC President 2013

TheHiriser

Hey Josh, welcome aboard.  Now you can find out what is going on and also read about some of what you are missing.  Great talking to you and your dad the other night.  Have fun in college man.

TheHiriser

You did great irregardless of being a newbie or not.  The call was exactly the information I needed to relay to CCS.  They heard our call along with theirs from start, and I never even had to ask for a red flag.  It was automatic, so you must have said something right.  Your calls were great, everyones calls were great.

Quote from: ZXYBCH on August 28, 2007, 11:59:05 AM
Much appreciated, hearing that. I'm too new to kick myself for "shoulda coulda woulda"s, only because I don't know everything yet, but I am still going over it wondering if there was anything I could have done better, or can do better for **god forbid** next time.

Thanks, guys. Glad to be a part of the team.  :thumb:

Glad to have you as part of the team.  We all second guess every call we make.  Over analyze it.  The bottom line is all these thoughts go through all our heads.  Think about all the decisions and things you have to remember or be on the look out for in a split second. 

Could have said this, should have said that, this could have been shorter, longer, more info, better bike description, leather color, helmet color, re-enter safely, moto, left or right, rider up or down, bike in an impact area, rider in an impact area, do I need an ambulance, crash pick up, an ASD, time estimate, is there debris, unsafe riding, loose bike parts, smoke, dropping oil, other fluids, leathers open, visor down, the list goes on and on and on.

All that becomes second nature, you tend to just start seeing all of it.  And still you will ask yourself how to do it better and faster, and if you are doing everything right.

Simon

Quote from: TheHiriser on August 29, 2007, 12:41:54 AM
And still you will ask yourself how to do it better and faster, and if you are doing everything right.
Yeah, thats right. You'll go through it just about every time.
MARRC Cornerworker
CCS AM 48
www.marrc.org

Kuala76

Quote from: Simon on August 29, 2007, 06:55:25 AM
Yeah, thats right. You'll go through it just about every time.
And then go through it after the time, and then maybe again after that time!!!!
Kumi
MARRC President 2013

TheHiriser

Kuala76

Resurecting this thread to add my newest scariest incident.

Now, I have seen high HIGH HIGH sides, low sides, medevac incidents etc. involving bikes.

The "monkey" flying out of the side car disturbed me the most so far... :ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh:
Kumi
MARRC President 2013

TheHiriser

Quote from: Kuala76 on September 10, 2007, 11:33:49 AM
The "monkey" flying out of the side car disturbed me the most so far... :ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh:

This was all of our worst nightmares come true.  Having this happen right in front of Simon and I was not very pleasant at all.  Hearing the thud from the body and I swear I could hear her go "Ummmphhhffff".  Landed on her head and knees simultaneously.  The added twist is having the driver (her husband) to contend with immediately after the incident.  Puts a whole new twist on how we respond to this sort of incident.  The update I was told was a concussion and broken hand in two places.  Hoping that is all she sustained from this terrible incident.

DrD

re:

turn 10 summit, a few years ago:

i was rider no. 2.  rider no. 1 made a full recovery.  all 3 riders are still racing.  cornerworkers and EMS on scene did a great job that day.

thank you all.. and thanks to whoever got those shots.

bill davenport
dr.d racing
ccs  ex#182

Court Jester

I've had a few scary incidents coming off the bike and track at the most inopportune times. the worst was turn 1 at MAM and the scoring tower to turn 1 at Blackhawk. I'll spare you the stories but I will offer my thanks and my unquestionable gratitude to all of you for spending your weekends cleaning up our messes.
Thank You.   
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

Kuala76

Quote from: DrD on December 16, 2007, 03:38:44 PM
re:

turn 10 summit, a few years ago:

i was rider no. 2.  rider no. 1 made a full recovery.  all 3 riders are still racing.  cornerworkers and EMS on scene did a great job that day.

thank you all.. and thanks to whoever got those shots.

bill davenport
dr.d racing
ccs  ex#182

Great news!  We had heard all riders were 'okay' but better even to hear it from the 'horse's mouth'. 
Kumi
MARRC President 2013

Cornerman

My first race conerworking. About 7 years ago
It was at Roebling and I was on Turn 3. It was the first race on Saturday. A bike came into turn3 and the guy who was an Am. highsided off of 3 he went tumbling and tumbling and rolling etc... He was in bad shape. I ran over to him with another guy scared to death. I thought the guy was a goner. I left the track that day wondering if I could ever do it again because of what I witnessed. The late Great Paul Farrel talked to me after and with his way of handling things calmed me down and encouraged me to do it again. I haven't stopped since.

Cornerman

Turn 4 at VIR 2 years ago at the Nationals.
ASRA Superbike race. WET!!!
The whole pack came into 4. Nearly all of them went sliding and riding off. So many went off I couldn't even begin to tell Alan just how many and who. I think I said over the radio almost all of them went off in t4. Everyone was ok. A few riders couldn't continue we laughed a little about it. I figured these guys would have been more careful.They  were all muddy and looked like they played football rather than raced bikes. It made for a real slop fest for the rest of the day. Race after race people slid off that turn. I was very tired after that day. I told the riders I had enough and would start charging them for parking. It didn't work. :lmao:

P_M

Dr. D - That was I on camera for that incident.. Still an 'ouch' moment for sure.. And it's always good to see everyone back up and at it again.

See ya out there..