News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Cornerworking for Money!!!

Started by TheHiriser, August 13, 2007, 11:13:33 AM

TheHiriser

I worked two track days this weekend for the first time and was payed for my services.  I was wondering if anyone else does this on a regular basis and what their thoughts were on doing it.  I viewed it as a way of seeing another track, working with different people with different ideas and also I just love the exhaust fumes I guess.  :thumb:

How many people on here actually work Track days and the like for money?

Where do you do it?  Which groups do you do it with?

What is the average pay/incentives, I know this probably varies by region?

And lastly is it just for the money?  Love of the sport or a combination of both?

eviled98

Midwest Safety Crew Pays $50/day (plus lunch and beer) at Blackhawk Farms Raceway for C.C.S. races. At Road America during the A.M.A. Pro races this year we had exceptionally long days and were paid $75/day.
  I also cornerwork for S.C.C.A. (cars) and get paid nothing even though they are a huge org. Last weekend we were doing a Champ Car race on live nat'l t.v. and got food, beer and door prizes but no money.  Skip Barber racing school has a base at Road America and they pay $125/day, but it's always weekdays and gets pretty boring. Road America also rents out the track for private testing during the week (usually to race teams with a lot of money and manufacturers). That pays $100/day.
  I've never done a weekday gig as I have a regular job I'd like to keep. They have a bunch of retired guys who usually do that.
  It would be nice to be paid at least enough to cover your expenses....

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quote from: TheHiriser on August 13, 2007, 11:13:33 AMAnd lastly is it just for the money?  Love of the sport or a combination of both?

Mostly its the love of the sport. Wont make a living cornerworking. Keeps me involved since I'm not able to race for a while. All teh money does is pay for gas to the track and the bottled water, power ade and soda for the weekend. Oh and a bag of tootsie pops. Cant have a race weekend without them.:biggrin:
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

TheHiriser

Quote from: Woofentino Pugrossi on August 13, 2007, 09:22:25 PM
Oh and a bag of tootsie pops. Cant have a race weekend without them.:biggrin:

My personal favorite is Swedish Fish.  But try making a call with a mouthful of them.  :lmao: :biggrin:

I was paid $125 each day.  Granted I had to drive 2 hours to a friends place but any and all expenses were well covered.  I didn't do it for the money at all but for reasons previously stated.  I'd like to visit and work as many tracks as possible, getting paid just might make it more enticing and might cover some expenses.

I guess my original idea was to see where else they paid and also to let people know the opportunity is out there.  Retired people might see it as a way to provide supplimental income.

Suzy

I'm in it more for the sport, but money is good too.  :biggrin: I'm sure way back everything wasn't as expensive as it is now (gas, etc.), so volunteering was easier.
2005 Rookie Corner Worker of the Year!

barb_arah

It sure would be nice if the cornerworkers would get some compensation for being out in the weather all day.  Guess you gotta really love the sport to do what you do out there.  Thank you to all the cornerworkers who are out there keeping the racers safe!  Without you we couldn't put on the races.
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.

TheHiriser

I'm sure I can speak for all corner workers when I say thanks for the thanks Barb we really do appreciate it.

Jan

Swedish Fish? .....I work for the company that makes that stuff. How much do you need?
Anyway I work a lot of track days at Blackhawk Farms Raceway. 
Porsche, Audi, BMW, NESBA, track bike days, vintage cars and SCCA events.
Pay is anywhere from dinner and beer to $125.
Love of the sport and a day vacation.
If I was really serious about working corners I could work at Road America too,between Blackhawk and Road America you can almost work 5 days a week in the season.

barb_arah

Quote from: Jan on August 16, 2007, 05:06:03 PM
Swedish Fish? .....I work for the company that makes that stuff. How much do you need?
Anyway I work a lot of track days at Blackhawk Farms Raceway. 
Porsche, Audi, BMW, NESBA, track bike days, vintage cars and SCCA events.
Pay is anywhere from dinner and beer to $125.
Love of the sport and a day vacation.
If I was really serious about working corners I could work at Road America too,between Blackhawk and Road America you can almost work 5 days a week in the season.

Maybe I should reconsider my career options...or maybe I shouldn't quit my day job.  I don't think I would be very good at corner working.
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.

TheHiriser

Anyone can do it IMHO, just not everyone is good at it.  There are many roles in the different clubs though.  We normally have a full blown cafe crew, info booth personnel, and there are various other behind the scenes things that don't involve putting yourself in harms way.

Kuala76

Quote from: barb_arah on August 16, 2007, 06:00:20 PM
  Maybe I should reconsider my career options...or maybe I shouldn't quit my day job.  I don't think I would be very good at corner working.

You never know til you try  :thumb:.  My sister was involved in corner working for YEARS before she finally convinced me to come out!!!  I didn't think there was ANY way I could do what she was doing, never mind actually LOVE it!!!  I went once and now you can't keep me away (sorry guys  ::))

:cheers:
Kumi
MARRC Corner Worker of the Year 2008
MARRC Vice President 2012
MARRC President 2013

TheHiriser

Her sister actually got both of us to go and I remember having so many reservations because I was a former MX'er and didn't know all that much about street bikes.  :rollseyes:  I didn't know if I was going to be expected to look them over and tech them or what.  So glad I made the decision to try it and like Kumi you can't keep me away.  In three seasons so far I've missed one day :wah: (sons b-day) couldn't convince his mom to have it on another day.  :lmao: