News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Broken Collar Bones and Return To Racing

Started by Cyklracer, August 08, 2007, 10:50:27 AM

ahastings

All breaks are different, and the doctors tend to be on the conservative side on returning to action to cover themselves. I broke mine last year March 12th at VIR first race of the year . Had surgery 1 1/2 weeks later on March 22nd to get it plated, did a track day 3 1/2 weeks after that and raced one week after the trackday. My doctor gave me the option of surgery or not and I opted for it , because I had heard too many horror stories of waiting several weeks then finding out you have a non union of the bone. Also I didn't trust myself to keep my arm immobilized long enough for the bone to start to heal together.
Arnie
A&M Motorsports
Mid-Atlantic VP Fuel Vendor

Jason748

Broke mine July of last year, after weeks I had no bone growth and everything was still moving around in a big way.  Doc said it needed to be plated.  After it was plated I "could have been racing within a week or two, except the wife said "you can be done for the year, or you can just be done..." :spank:  So I took the rest of the year off  :wah:  and I'm back at it this year.
CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com

Court Jester

Vit D helps the body absorb calcium.
outside of that i have nothing to add.
Good luck.
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

backMARKr

NFC Racin',Woodcraft, Pitbull,M4, SUDCO,Bridgestone
WERA #13

Court Jester

CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

APP_Racing

Oct 16 2005 broke mine in 2 places.  Healed up and was relatively moveable within about 7 days as long as I didn't try to do anything with big motions.  Was exercising and light weights within a couple of weeks.  Rode the street bike a few times as well.  The collapsed lung is what took the longest recovery.
A Dean
APP Racing LLC
St. Louis, MO
314-757-0364

Donate today!
www.redflagfund.org/

Cyklracer

Quote from: steve p on August 08, 2007, 10:15:54 PM
No money, no points, no championship
and a chance at either hurting myself againg or one of
my competitors because of lack of strength. 

That's sort of where I am.  Have the burning desire to get back on the bike, but at 40 years old with 4 kids at home who are pissed that I can't/won't go trail riding and being pissed myself that I can't "easily" do all the other physical activities I'm used to (mountain biking, running, golfing, etc) I've got to balance that desire with a rational approach to not messing things up and further delaying a return to ALL those activities.

Quote from: tug296 on August 08, 2007, 10:41:00 PM

My big problem comes from the Dr. cutting through the muscle and nerves, be aware of this if you get it plated as mine is just about ruined.
I think the Dr. could have been more careful and done less damage.

Sounds like your doc could have been a little more careful with his cutting!  I had one plated 10 years ago - felt relatively fine within 2 - 3 weeks post operation, a little tender to being bumped for a year afterwards, but now probably stronger than it was before.  Took a HARD skiing fall on it this winter (15 feet of air between where the ski dug in to where I hit packed base), got back up, rounded up the skis, and took off again.

I love the racing, but want to be able to do everything else as well - and like any racer want to do it all as soon as possible!

ahastings

Quote from: APP_Racing on August 09, 2007, 01:52:13 PM
Oct 16 2005 broke mine in 2 places.  Healed up and was relatively moveable within about 7 days as long as I didn't try to do anything with big motions.  Was exercising and light weights within a couple of weeks.  Rode the street bike a few times as well.  The collapsed lung is what took the longest recovery.
. You might have been able to move it after 7 days but A broken bone will not be healed  in 7 days.
Arnie
A&M Motorsports
Mid-Atlantic VP Fuel Vendor

Super Dave

The bone stuff...
http://www.seacoastvitamins.com/product_info.php?products_id=787

It has several bits in there that help develop a more complex matrix of bone building that one would normallyl normally have.  A scientist friend of mine turned me on to it six years ago, and the link is to a very inexpensive place to get it from. 

In seven days?  Well, I don't know, but I have been back to a doctor after fourteen, and he stated that I was healed.

Take the suppliment, eat protien.   

It is about discomfort after that.  I've raced hours and a day after breaking stuff.  How much does it affect you?  Really depends. 
Super Dave