Tranny Woahs.

Started by Noidly1, August 05, 2007, 02:03:45 AM

Noidly1

Figured it was time for some PM work on my 400/600 Hybrid and add a few upgrades. Got some parts for it, Barnett clutch n springs, Factory shift kit, V&H pipe, pod filters, plugs, oil n filter, new shock, had the forks reworked, getting ready to put on that swinger i had, yada yada.

Any way, I read somewhere that it was a good idea to drop the pan and check and clean the screen. Since I had the stock pipe off, I thought, Sure, why not? So I drained the oil n dropped the pan. Everything looks fine. Typical debris, no sweat. Pulled the screen, saw a little bit of stuff, figured it was from clutch, rinsed it out, out comes 2 teeth! F^@KKK...

Now I am worried. I put it in high gear and bumped it, looking at all the teeth. I'm bumping and bumping, checking and checking. So far so good, I'm starting to think, hopfully they're from the starter gears. It's been makin noise, they are on the side, cool, I can fix that. Still bumping and -AW-F^@KKK, 2 teeth on far left forward gear , both teeth next to each other.

Great, now I'm out the rest of the season I guess.

Any one know how long it will take or know how much it'll cost to fix it or should I just go ahead and rebuild it? It runs fine. Haven't had to touch it in 15 years. No noise or smoke. Mostly street ridden n some track.

What are my options?

Thanks.
'08 R6, CCSGP44EX

resurection

If its 1 or2 poor launch .If it's 5 or top gear you may gear around it for some tracks and it may never completely fail.  A lower gear will surly fail .maybe you should plan a winter trans under cut service.About 500 plus gaskets, rings ,clutch,ristpins and clips.
About 800bucks if you do the service,maybe 10 ,15 hours with motor on bench.Did some of those 400motors have casette style trans?

Noidly1

I heard something downshifting from 6th, thought it was the dogs poppin...

The weard part is, I never noticed anything the rest of the day.

The broken teeth are broke on a wedge. full tooth on one side, point on other. That may be the reason I was able to keep riding.
'08 R6, CCSGP44EX

resurection

One of the millions of crashed 600 's may have a less expensive Donor motor ,but building lets you know what you really have.
And the pride of building your own motor is priceless

Jeff

Yep, a new motor may well be cheaper than a replacement transmission.

A tranny replacement IF you remove the motor...  You're probably looking at around $250-$350 for labor alone (maybe more, but certainly not less). If you wheel the bike in add another $250 to it.

Parts (new gears), new shift forks and anything else, you're probably around $200 assuming the input & output shafts are good (don't see why they wouldn't be).
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Ducmarc

email racer22 he's hording all that fizzer stuff. otherwise ebay theere was a whole motor on there about a month back

Noidly1

I think I'm gonna fix the tranny for now and save up some dough for a rebuild this winter with an undercut. Speaking of undercutting, who does it, how much and how long turn-a-round time?

BTW, Thanks all...
'08 R6, CCSGP44EX

Super Dave

I think R&D in Florida is recognized as one of the places that everyone sends transmissions to.

They will also tell you if the trans is good at all.
Super Dave

resurection

R&D trans in Florida they will magnaflux and replace bad parts sending you the slickest shifting trans .the last one we had done was 450$ .If you just  fix trans,be  sure to have it magnafluxed to check for other bad gears ,or they're next to go
with the clutch out check for notches along basket edges ,you can file away small ridges .Things will feel much better

resurection

YOU type faster than i do ,look at posting times

Super Dave

LOL!  I do type pretty fast.   :biggrin:
Super Dave

Noidly1

Quote from: Ducmarc on August 06, 2007, 08:36:28 PM
email racer22 he's hording all that fizzer stuff. otherwise ebay theere was a whole motor on there about a month back

mark;

I don't see racer22 on the member list.

I've been collecting parts too.
'08 R6, CCSGP44EX