News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Beginner Racer, I need help Fellas!!!

Started by homepro, August 05, 2007, 01:19:24 AM

homepro

Alright so I am getting into racing probably next season but maybe a quick start this season.  I have been riding for 12 years and am ready to race and it has always been my dream to race something like this and I love bikes. 

I need help on where to start, need a bike, apparel, you name it I need it.  i would like to get a race ready bike so i don't have to go through the prep stuff although my brother in law already has told me he will prep everything and be my personal mechanic.  He grew up on dirt bikes and knows motorcycles very well as a mechanic. 

So if anyone of you all could help me out on where to get started I'd appreciate it.  I need classifieds for bikes and everything else from getting my license (assuming WERA) to race or whatever is needed to do that.  I am located in Frederick, Maryland. 

I was going to get into racing 5-6 years ago.  I had Tim Bemisderfer (WERA top racer) work on my bike at his house and we went riding on his back roads together and ever since then I've had the itch.  I just didn't have any money to spend and now I am ready for this!!!!

Thanks everyone for your future help!!! 

George_Linhart

Welcome to the insanity.  We have classifieds here, that would be a start to look for a racebike.  The WERA BBS also has classifieds (www.wera.com).  Perhaps some locals from the Frederick area will have some more local ideas.  Generally it is more cost effective to get a couple year old retired race bike which is fully set up for racing.  Generally most of the bugs have been worked out of them...

For leathers/boot/gloves and the like.  I am a big fan of Newenough.com.  Good service, great prices.  Don't skimp on the safety gear!

In the mid-atlantic its a pretty good region racing good options for racing either with CCS or WERA.  You can start a nuclear war asking which is better or who's racers are faster...

I'm pretty sure that you could get your license through Learning Curves at a CCS weekend.  Check the schedule, it should have information there.

Ask lots of questions, don't be afraid to seek out advice from other racers.  Ideally if you could find somebody local who is a regular racer I am sure somebody would take you under their wing as a young jedi in traingin.  They could help you out to get your feet wet, from how to get through registration & technical inspection as well as to show you how to make it through a race weekend as well as some of the on-track behaviours that just can't be easily put into a rule book but make you a better and safer rider.

Good luck!

George

homepro

George,

Thanks for the info.  I appreciate that very much.  There are still a ton of other questions but one of the main ones I have is about my bike.  I am planning on racing a Suzuki GSXR 750 my favorite bike and also what I have always rode. 

If I can't get a race ready bike what do you guys recommend  for me to do to the bike for racing as in upgrading it from stock condition?  Or should i just get a race ready bike or stock bike prepped and just focus on racing as a beginner considering i could go down or crash???  Sorry for all the questions...

Thanks, Mike...

SVbadguy

To find a bike check out the classifieds on www.dcsportbikes.net and www.dcsportbikes.com.  And I suggest becoming a member of .net.   We can provide you tons of info about getting started racing at Summit Point.  There is already a load of info posted in the racing and trackday sections of the forum.  Many of us are instructors and control riders for the various schools and trackdays at Summit Point and VIR.

Simon

Come out and work with the MARRC (Mid Atlantic Road Racing Club) Safety Crew at Summit, you can learn the track and get a discount for their road racing school. Once you've taken the school you can get your license with CCS or WERA. Check out their website. marrc.org
MARRC Cornerworker
CCS AM 48
Always in the gravel, one way or another!
www.marrc.org

George_Linhart

One suggestion - forget about the gsxr750 and buy a used race prepped SV650 with a good spares package.  You will save a ton of cash on the bike, you won't go through tires nearly as fast and you will learn faster.  You are just starting and need to learn - LW grids are the best place for that.  You can always feed your ego and race bigger bikes once you have learned the basics.

Believe me, its not a question of if you will crash just a matter of when and how bad.  I would feel much better crashing the heck out of a $3000 SV than a $10,000 GSXR750 and the SV will probably fair better. 

If (despite the advice of all those with experience) you must race your big bike, spend your money on 1) race bodywork, 2) suspension, and 3) track days and  riding instructions.  Don't bother doing any motorwork - you don't even need a pipe or pcIII.

Just my opinion though.

George

roadracer162

Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Super Dave

And hook up with Tim again if you can.  You've got a good familly of people in that area.
Super Dave

jfappraisers

I can show you around the track HomePro..... lol  If you can keep up.  I just read Tim had kidney transplant few years ago.  I am trying to locate hi e-mail so I can say Hi.

Jim

Ducmarc

if you are over forty the 750 is good for formula forty but like everyone has said find an sv. cash in your 401 make sure you have real good insurance apply for several credit cards and have fun. the hangover will start two days after daytona

ducatiboy

Super Dave

SV is much better.  More parts at the track, more power, more reliable.  Still a fun bike.
Super Dave