Motor Work - 06 R1

Started by KWComp, August 04, 2007, 08:50:33 AM

KWComp

I am planning some engine upgrades on my bike and need some input.   Fairly basic stuff but I want to add the GYTR .1mm base gasket and .3mm Head gasket as well as get some port work done.   

The question is, can anyone tell me what the compression ratio ends up being with this combination and will the bike still run on pump gas without detonation? 

Second question....any recommendations for a reputable place to go for the port work or anyone that specializes in the Yami's?

Super Dave

You have the suspension set up and your tire budget in place?

Where you are located might help everyone point you toward someone local.

Super Dave

proechel539

Darrell Proechel
CCS Ex # 76
02 SV-650, 06 GSXR750
proechel1@comcast.net

KWComp

Quote from: Super Dave on August 04, 2007, 01:02:46 PM
You have the suspension set up and your tire budget in place?

Where you are located might help everyone point you toward someone local.

I worked on the suspension and brakes this summer, (Ohlins Forks / shocks, set up by Total Performance), Brakes are AP Racing.....now its time for more ponies.  :D

Location for me = Flint, MI......I have talked to Scott up here at L7 motorsports (former owner of Cafe Motorsports), he had some good input and pricing was reasonable.  Still want to shop the work around though for price and quality. 

Jeff

Quote from: KWComp on August 04, 2007, 08:50:33 AM
The question is, can anyone tell me what the compression ratio ends up being with this combination and will the bike still run on pump gas without detonation? 

No bike wil run without detonation...

Your compression will be higher, so to prevent PRE-detonation (aka pinging/knocking) you'll likely need to increase the octane level of the fuel you use.  Commercially available 91 or 93 is fine in MOST cases.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Super Dave

Quote from: KWComp on August 06, 2007, 06:19:34 AM
I worked on the suspension and brakes this summer, (Ohlins Forks / shocks, set up by Total Performance), Brakes are AP Racing.....now its time for more ponies.  :D

Have you been running a leaded, oxygenated racing fuel?  How do you have the fuel injection controlled now?

Just a street bike?
Super Dave

KWComp

Its a street bike / track day bike.  Not looking to make a full on race machine.  The electronics are just the basic stock ECU and PCIIIUSB.  I would like to eventually add an aftermarket ECU but thats down the road. 

Super Dave

An aftermarket ECU from Magnetti Marelli might be a really good upgrade.  You could contact http://www.4and6.com as I know they have talked with MM.  They could do motorwork too.  Ed would be the guy to talk to about a motor plan.  Jim on the ECU and motor stuff too even.

More top end probably won't show any real reduction in lap times at most tracks as it's very, very hard to get the power down on an R1, GSXR1000, etc. already.  But it would be impressive on the street.
Super Dave

KWComp

I will give them a call,   Thank you for the input Dave.   I ll have to check pricing but doing both upgrades at this time will more than likely blow my budget out of the water.  Dependability is a key factor in the build, I do a couple rides a year where we put on 6-700 miles in a weekend.

On a side note, I spoke to Lees performance this morning about the motor and they did not sound very optimistic about it.   They told me that the R1 does not respond as well as a Suzuki to the kind of motor work I was wanting to do.  That with porting and decking the block I would maybe see 10 more hp where as a Gixxer with the same work could potentially lay down 190hp.  They did have a good suggestion which I should have known from past car experience though,  there suggestion was to deck the block as opposed to running the thinner head gasket for a more durable result.  Given the cost of the GYTR head gasket and since  they are virtually impossible to find now that yamaha has discontinued the 06 model it seemed like a good plan.  So the quest continues for the final plan.

Super Dave

Lee's an old school guy.  I'd put money on that being good information.
Super Dave

mdr14

You are in luck with the gaskets for your 06 R1. The base gasket is the same as the 07 R1. I do have a base gasket in stock, I do not remember which thickness it is.

Additionally, Cometic gasket should have their EST .018" head gaskets available.

If your bike was a 2007 R1, The porting I have come up with for the 4 valve head works really well.

I have no interest in working with the 5 valve head. I personally can't even think of anyone I could recommend.

And yes, the GSXR is a better bike for a privateer. But, you run what ya got.
Matt Drucker
MD Racing
www.mdracingstp.com

KWComp

Is the 5 valve head harder to work on?  Or just a PITA to get some gains out of?  It seems almost everywhere I turn is the same results.