News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

CCS Races at Iowa Speedway cancelled.

Started by Burt Munro, August 02, 2007, 11:40:47 PM

Burt Munro

Just received the following update from Trackaddix....

Iowa Speedway Canceled

TrackAddix and Iowa Speedway have canceled the September 15th and 16th event due to scheduling conflicts.

Iowa Speedway requested that TrackAddix release the date so they could fulfill an obligation to a primary sponsor. The Select Central Iowa Chevrolet Dealers will be hosting their annual open house and new vehicle introduction at Iowa Speedway and need the September 15th / 16th weekend for that important event. According to Dean Rumfola, President of TrackAddix, "We have many sponsors of our own and understand the importance of accommodating sponsor requests. We are happy to help and look forward to working with Iowa Speedway in the future." Mr. Rumfola also said, "It has been a long and challenging season for many racers, we considered moving the event to another venue, but decided racers might appreciate a break in the schedule so they can better prepare for the remainder of the season."

Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

racrx451

." Mr. Rumfola also said, "It has been a long and challenging season for many racers, we considered moving the event to another venue, but decided racers might appreciate a break in the schedule so they can better prepare for the remainder of the season."

[/quote]

A break... geez.. I think a month between RA and Hallet and then 3 weeks between  Hallet and ISW is plenty.. I was really looking forward to traveling 45 minutes to race.  I think the 25-50 family/friends that were coming liked it too.  Just when I was beginning to like this series.....
'08 Ducati 848

CCS/ASRA #451

tstruyk

you where really looking forward to going there after the moto-st nightmare?  sounds like a blessing... now the track has some time to beef up the safety!

CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

BrianC636

While I am grateful TA does everything they can to give a place to race, I hope that this does not hurt them.  I was going to race there but I'm glad (for safety reasons) we are not.

Tim - I seen you've been posting on SWMO sportbikes lately.  I'm "Unregistered" on there.

Brian

CCS # 29 - GP Region

Thanks to:
Cafe Racer Inc., No-Mar Tire Changers, CR Signs, Ace Fabrication, Bridgestone

tstruyk

yeah I didnt have enough forums to keep u with...  ::)

:cheers:

CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

racrx451

I was def. looking forward to it... what's the difference between me running 185mph on the banks of Daytona or flying around GIR... its all dangerous. 
'08 Ducati 848

CCS/ASRA #451

p3afoster61

The difference is at Daytona, with the severe banking, your bike is closer to being perpendicular to the track; you can ride next to the wall.  If you get to Nascar 1&2 at Iowa, grinding solidly on your knee at 120 -130 mphdown at the apron,  praying that your contact patches don't let go, you'll realize that riding Daytona next to the wall  at 185 in Nascar 4 is a piece of cake by comparison.  I'm very apprehensive of CCS at Iowa.  I'm afraid it is likely to be a catastrophe. I'd love to be proved wrong. I was sad that our MOTO-ST event ended prematurely. Until Iowa, we've had pretty clean racing. (Even though there has been plenty of contact.) I'm afraid that the necessities of sprint racing will amp up the risk and the carnage that goes with it.

Spooner

I am VERY happy we aren't going to that place!  Sure I would have raced there, but it would have been like gateway where I just cruise around and try to keep from hitting anything so I can make it to the next round where you can actually push it without fear of splattering myself on a concrete barrier..
CCS Expert #172
'04 R6

APP_Racing

Wait Nick didn't you hit the barrier at MAM.   Don't go bashin my home track to much will yeah.  Its the only time I get to sleep in my own bed for a race.
A Dean
APP Racing LLC
St. Louis, MO
314-757-0364

Donate today!
www.redflagfund.org/

Burt Munro

Anthony,

Nick has managed to block the MAM incident from his mind.  You know, since it was the ONLY time he has ever crashed!! :ass:

Spooner

Actually he is talking about this year when my swingarm broke going down the front straight.  Something tells me that track has it in for me lol!
CCS Expert #172
'04 R6

Burt Munro

OK... so you have no problem racing at a track that you crashed at each of the last 2 years and you bad mouth Gateway. :rollseyes:

My big fear at MAM would be that if you went down in most of the corners and nobody saw you go down, they wouldn't find you until they bail hay in the fall! :thumb:

funsizeracing

You should have seen the alfalfa at Hastings.  I had to put one of those orange ATV flags on my back so if I went off the corner workers could find me! :ahhh:
Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

tstruyk

Quote from: racrx451 on August 04, 2007, 10:36:04 PM
I was def. looking forward to it... what's the difference between me running 185mph on the banks of Daytona or flying around GIR... its all dangerous. 

Or the tree's at Blackhawk, or the walls at Topeka... correct its all dangerous.  I think people are defending the decision to not shoe horn a race in there moreso as a "attaboy" to Dean, vs the "just when I was starting to like this series" attitude.   the track simply isnt ready and this works out well for the safety of everyone, hate to see you hit a wall in front of 25-50 of your family and friends (btw that would add about 300% to the spectator base, kudos to you)  you find yourself not liking the series?  go run BFR 6 times a year in the MW.  Noone is holding a gun to your head.  But if you want a more local series... understand the big picture  :thumb:  TA has done more to incorporate the wants and needs of a racer than any series I have seen (not that I have been around forever, but still).

CCS GP/ASRA  #85

LMsports

I too am happy that the Iowa speedway race was cancelled this year. It would be one of my closest races for the year as I am from Iowa, so I understand the racing close to home thing. But I did race there for Moto ST on a 82 horsepower air cooled Ducati 1000ss. Even with that heavy slow turd the track was scary. You enter turn one high and dip down to the apron on the banking. The banking is not very steep and you find yourself in 5th gear pinned with your knee firmly planted in the asphalt and dragging pegs (a danger all in itself). As you exit turn two onto the back straight the momentum carries you all the way to the outside wall and I found myself having to chop the throttle regularly as the wall came up quicker than expected and I nearly hit it on more than one occassion. I did manage to rub my outside leg and elbow a few times but luckily never cought my brake lever. When you dive off of the back straight to the infield you are pointed right at tire walls which one of my teammates hit when he lost the front of his SV. The bikes we rode were low horsepower and relatively slow bikes and I would like to think that most of us participating in that series are accomplished riders. I fear the result of higher horsepower, faster motorcycles, with lesser experienced riders in the current environment at Iowa Speedway.
Rob Oliva
Lithium Motorsports, Inc.
Suspension Solutions
712-546-7747
www.lithiummotorsports.net

Cyklracer

Right there with you Rob.   :cheers:  Yes, it would have been nice to race at a place close to home and have family and friends there, but how much fun would it have been to explain to them why we do this if (and from the way it sounds, a likely if) someone put themselves into a wall?

I'll make the 7 hour drive to Hastings without the friends and family in tow and be happy knowing that if I go off-course they'll eventually find me while bailing hay in October.

LMsports

Bailing alfalfa.........

Only in Nebraska can you get a contractor to do your dirtwork in trade for letting him plant alfalfa on the infield of your road course  :wtf:
Rob Oliva
Lithium Motorsports, Inc.
Suspension Solutions
712-546-7747
www.lithiummotorsports.net

JPwheelie

Bummer.  I am not in country much so any race I can make is welcomed.

Hope to make more next season.

I will definatly be at hastings.  Never been there.  Sounds fun.  :)

JP.  :)