News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

bullet camera questions (atc2k oregon scientific)

Started by zeroice, August 02, 2007, 04:45:06 PM

DavidV

One thing I just forgot fellas:

Always always always, press the "STOP" button directly after your race. Then hold the power button to turn the camera off. I found that if you do not do this, you lose your last race you recorded.

So to recap:

Always use fresh batteries for every race
Always reformat your SD card after every race (FAT16 file system) after you copy your video
Always tighten your cap very tight
Always press stop after your race is done. Then immediately power down the camera

NEVER eject the card while the camera is on
NEVER take out the batteries, without pressing STOP first
NEVER hold the power button down without pressing STOP first

A good indication that the camera recorded, is if you pull in the pits after the checkered, and the camera is still on. If it's off, it is usually bad news. 

zeroice

I think the one recording session that got cut short but wasnt corrupted, the Team Challenge rear view, may have got cut short cuz the recording was "stopped" by the zip tie. I think I zip tied right in front of the circular holder, right were the button was. It may have caused the buttor to get pressed....

So don't zip tie near the buttons!!! :)
Krishna A. Pribadi
CCS #707

surftheasphalt

Quote from: zeroice on August 02, 2007, 04:45:06 PM
So I got an el cheapo bullet camera and 2GB SD memory card. Actually I got 2; one for forward viewing and one for backwards viewing. Got one off ebay for $85 shipped. Paid another $20 for the 2gig card shipped.

Anyone got this camera? is it worth the money? What do you think about it?

I tried it out on the road (on a touring Harley bike) and it sounds like crap... Sound is saturated?

maybe that is the sound of the Harley? :thumb:

great cam ,I use one on mid-Ohio and vid is very clear and crisp,no wires,no problem,
was mounted inside front faring and sound and vid is very good
worth the money for sure
MW#80

eightonezero

I recorded a race at Summit this past weekend. I put the cap on REAL tight and had no problems.  Well, one problem. I was using a 2gb card. It recorded the entire race except for the last few minutes. The 2gb card was not formatted and I had some pictures on there, but nothing that would affect it from filling up the card.

Oh well.

magicrat

I do quite a bit of on-bike video.  I use mini-DV camcorders ... but, I have used solid-state recording devices like you have, too.

I think you should just keep recording like you are, but then use an "editor" to mute the sound after you download it to your computer.

Movie Maker 2.0 comes free with Windows XP.  All you gotta do is import the raw .avi file and then mute the sound.  You can then add music, do slow-mo on portions, overdub narration, etc.

The video I posted here is done with movie maker:  http://www.ccsforum.com/index.php/topic,18332.0.html

You can see more videos here:  http://flandersland.tzo.com/public.htm

... and my "thoughts" on bike video here:  http://flandersland.tzo.com/CameraTips.htm

... and the best guys in the business ... that I have EVER met making bike video are here:  http://www.linesthemovie.com/linesforum.htm

-- Magic-Rat
-- Rat

"Ride to the sound of the guns ..."

tstruyk

CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

magicrat

Quote from: tstruyk on September 09, 2007, 05:59:16 PM
the Rat has spoken!!!

whats up pat!   :cheers:

LOL.

Hey man!

I miss you guys .. and those roads out to Pitosi.

Hooah!
-- Rat

tstruyk

i was thinking we need someone to get married... the bus is gettin dusty and the ladies out east are lonely!!    :biggrin:

need to grab some beers your next trip back.  you still here somewhat regularily?

oh and so as not to totally thread jack... listen to the rat, he's got onboard pretty much figured out!  :thumb:

timmay
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

zeroice

So last week during labor day weekend a friend and myself took a 1500mi trip through the Tennessy & N. Carolina Smokey Mtn twisties. We hit up Cherohalla Skyway, Deal's Gap, Smokey Mtn National Park (waaayy too many cars and traffic), and finally we rode the blueridge parkway for 100miles both ways (200mi). And also we hit up NC rt 151 into Canton, NC from the Blueridge parkway, and man that road is more twisty than Deal's Gap!!!

I took a Harley 07 Dyna Super Glide Cusom with a lowered P&A rear suspenssion. Don't be hatin' on us Harley riders now!!! That Harley was really nice to ride, great handling and awesome power from the 96cuin engine. And not a damn person, including sportbikes, passed us. In fact we passed some sport bikes!!!

Anyways, I recorded most of the trip and (over 7 hrs of footage) and figured out a few things about that camera.
Here's what I discovered:
1. Never use cheap wal-mart brand batteries, they die too fast. Get Duracel or Energizer or use some good rechargeables. Good new batteries will last over 2hrs. El cheopo lasts only 30 minutes.
2. make sure the battery flap is "snapped" shut. It needs to "Slide" all the way in. Otherwise it may bounce around and loose contact.
3. When you buy a new card, and even though you read it on the computer and the "properties" says that it's already formated w/ FAT16, re-format it.
4. Noise isn't saturated even if its lound. Noise is only saturated when the camera is ridgidly mounted to the frame such as the fork. In other words, the vibration transfers into sound noise on the camera. Sort of like listening to an engine with a mechanic's stethoscope.
5. And lastly, don't aim the camera too high thinking that you're climbing a hill and taking sharp turns. You just end up not seeing any of the road so really it doesn't look right. And also, the image gets really dark because it gets too much light exposure from above.

Krishna A. Pribadi
CCS #707

eightonezero

Zeroice: What is the biggest size file you have successfully recorded so far? How many minutes was it?  I'm happy with the camera, quality is actually pretty decent for $80

I too, have also found that it is better to point the camera slightly down, vs slightly up. I mount mine on the fork leg and get decent results

magicrat

Pointing the camera down helps capture the feeling of speed, too.  I purposely point my cams down a bit ... especially on street rides to make them "feel fast."  It's the same effect as looking at the road right in front of you instead of looking "out".
-- Rat

zeroice

Quote from: eightonezero on September 12, 2007, 06:36:23 PM
Zeroice: What is the biggest size file you have successfully recorded so far? How many minutes was it?  I'm happy with the camera, quality is actually pretty decent for $80

I too, have also found that it is better to point the camera slightly down, vs slightly up. I mount mine on the fork leg and get decent results

Ok, sorry for the delay...

A week and a half ago I recorded the entire length of the VIR solo/team challenge. Everything went well. Used fresh batteries and formatted card before starting. Also made sure everything was secure. I'll post footage shortly. I AM VERY PLEASE WITH THE QUALITY!!!

Biggest file size was 90minutes. recordign did not stop but dumped over into a 2nd file; total record time if you add the 2 files together is over 2 hrs. I haven't tried long recording w/ higher resolution (currently using 320x240 @15fps); got a file size of 854MB.
Krishna A. Pribadi
CCS #707