Prepping a '06 SV650S for track use...

Started by clm2112, July 28, 2007, 08:14:06 PM

clm2112

Hi All,

I've been away from the sport for about 14 years, so forgive the lack of currency on CCS rules regarding tech.  Now that my daughter is old enough that I can go off and risk my hide without angry looks from my wife, I've given some thought to taking my current motorcycle out on the track.  The bike is a 2006 Suzuki SV650s, more or less in stock trim except for the D&D exhaust and a K&N filter.  I'll probably limit the bike to Supersport rules, just for the sake of simplicity.

Reading the rules for CCS and WERA, much of what I'm seeing in bike prep is pretty straight forward  (I see lots of drilling and safety wire in my future.)  There are a few items that I'd like to hear from other SV racers on how they did such and such to pass tech inspection.

First off...the belly pan.  I picked up a lower faring from the UK, but I guess I need to come up with a bottom for it to hold 3 quarts of oil right?

Next, the catch can for the overflow.  I plan on keeping the stock airbox, so I guess I can route the hoses back to it and plug the drains?  Or is using a seperate catch can preferable.

Last one that comes to mind isn't in the CCS rules, but it is mentioned in the WERA rules so I would probably need to do it as well to run the same bike in both organizations.  Regarding safety wire on the front axle...how the heck is that done when the axle is flush with the front fork slider.

Any thoughts on these would be appreciated,

Curt Martin
Ormond Beach, Florida
(used to be AMA-CCS Am#343 years and years ago)

grasshopper

You do need belly pad or lower faring that holds 3 quarts. In CCS you need to safety wire the oil fill cap, oil filter and oil drain plug. I safety wire my coolant drain bolt as well. It's not a bad idea to wire the caliper mounting bolts, axle nut/bolts, pinch bolts either. Where it gets a little anal with safety wire with WERA is with the exhaust header nuts. I don't get that. Rules are rules though. Keep your crankcase oil blow by routed to your air box. If you decide to run flat slides you will have to rout your crankcase blow by to a filter and mount that about your carbs so that if in the even oil does blow by it will "Technically" get sucked back into the motor.

Have someone who knows what they are doing set up your suspension correctly for you. I recommend building the forks for your weight with the proper springs and some kind of emulator for rebound damping. Buy a rear shock as well. Suspension and geometry set up is key.

Good luck, have fun and post up if you have any more questions. There are alot of people that race SVs. You mite want to check out Svrider.com

clm2112

Quote from: grasshopper on August 03, 2007, 02:32:50 PM
Good luck, have fun and post up if you have any more questions. There are alot of people that race SVs. You mite want to check out Svrider.com

Thanks, I'm already hanging out over there as well.

Looks like I have a nice couple of winter projects.  I know I will not be ready by the October races in Dyatona,  I'm currently overweight and outta shape.   Dusted off the 10-speed and have been hitting the pavement every morning for the past couple of weeks.

ktd

Hi,  I have an 02 with Flat Slides and Stacks.  My question is the breather. I ran the breather hose into the Velocity Stack.  I secured it by drilling two very small holes on the lip and using Safety Wire.  I did not mount a filter on the crank case hose.  I have one but I didn't want that much in the way of my air flow.  can anyone tell me if this will be legal?

Thanks,
Kyle

Jeff

The way that I read the rules, you should be fine as it's directly routed to an intake.  I didn't see anything about requiring a filter on it.

Anyone else?
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

EX_#76

Quote from: Jeff on February 04, 2008, 04:15:09 PM
The way that I read the rules, you should be fine as it's directly routed to an intake.  I didn't see anything about requiring a filter on it.

Anyone else?

+1, here is what the rule book states:
5.2.15 On 4 stroke machines, crankcase ventilation must be routed into a heat
resistant catch can of at least 350cc capacity or the air box.
A. If ventilation is routed into the air box, any drains from the air box
must be sealed.
B. If ventilation is routed to a catch can, the overflow tube from the catch
can must be routed into the intake area of the carburetors so that
any overflow from the catch can will be drawn into the engine.
C. Radiator overflow and battery vent tubes may be routed into a
separate catch can that need not be vented into the intake area.
D. Final approval of the catch can system rests with the Tech Inspector.
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor

ktd

Thanks very much for the info!.  It is very much appreciated.!