bodywork painting??

Started by hmpmark, February 13, 2003, 12:30:29 PM

Woofentino Pugrossi

I used Plasti-coat Automotive Clear with Plasticoat basecoat and primer. Basically 4 cans of red, 2 cans of black, 2 cans of white, 1 can of safety yellow, 6 cans of clear.

BTW when you are painting the tank, make sure its on a sturdy stand. ;D Mine slipped off right after the 2nd coat of red and messed up the paint a bit. :( Now it has a textured feel in a spot.;D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Nate R

OK. One other question: Where'd you get the Plasti-Kote? What store, and was the clear more than $5/Can?

I'll probably need 5 or 6 cans of yellow, and then 6 of clear, then. I have sharkskinz, so I just need to prime the fender, and wet sand the rest.

Thanx! I hope to be able to show you a good paint job in April!

Also, what kind of lap times were you running at BHF in August? Any idea? Just curious. Probably faster than I'll be for a while this year.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

Chef

QuoteThanks Ike
  I won't do gold though the most bs paint to do-right Ike ;D
Craig

actully Craig,
if it comes out "gold" it wont be as bad, Your paintjob was the best of the season, sad i dont have any pics to post, but you did good!

Dawn, Rockford IS like wisc to me, but you're rite, my mistake. and by the way, now knowing someone in Wisc, i dont feel AS bad about Chicago weather these days...

QuoteYEp I used clear spray.

It was a fast job though. THere are spots that are so so, but you'll never notice it while its on teh track.

DJamn ROB,
you could open a paint shop, thats really good work... (well to me anyway, im not real judge)
40. Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but powerful beyond measure. We were all meant to shine, as children do. When our light shines, we liberate others.

xlr8tn

Boy did I get a good deal...I looked into a local high school that had an autobody program and they did a better job than last years PROFESSIONAL in 1/2 the time.  Take a look and let me know what you think.

-brent

xlr8tn

and the front...

Chef

JAMN!!!

good deal.....

my old high school has a paint shop.... think i'll stop over..... ;D
40. Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but powerful beyond measure. We were all meant to shine, as children do. When our light shines, we liberate others.

sdiver68

Damn, I took the stealth approach last year.  ;D

You should have seen the looks on the grid I got with unpainted white bodywork and taped on number plates and smashed up slip on.  Leathers and helmet that didn't match.

Sure ticked off plenty of pretty bikes at the beginning of the year.  By the mid-point or end, every 'regualr' bike looked like it had been through a war, so I wasn't so out of place then lol

MCRA Race School Instructor

xlr8tn

$141 bucks...all I had to do was pay for paint.  I'm not going to worry about loosing a bunch if/when I go down.  I've already got a deal to drop off my spare set.  They did bodywork repair and paint and an awesome job.  Only wish I could say I did it myself.

tshort

I like the work TS Customs does, up here in Wisconsin.  Talk to Jeff - 888-773-0190, and tell him Tom Short sent you - he knows me, and will treat you well.
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

Woofentino Pugrossi

Nate, Autozone sells it. Any auto parts store will have a good automotive clear.

Well lap times, High :30's to :40 with a few :33's. Out of sync with racing since I only could do teh last 2 BHF's events last year :(

Chef, I did used to do auto painting at my old job;D . Would liek to do bike paint jobs on teh side, but EPA regs and city ordinances really take the fun out of it.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

r6_philly

for best result in spray painting your bodywork (Even my street bikes are spray painted whenever I feel like changing the colors), SAND between coats. Get super super fine grit finishing sand paper. First sand the primer coat. Spray a good coating until you don't see the primer. Dont get too close or it will run, don't get too far or it will solidify and end up with small grits of paint. Then let dry, then wet sand it until really smooth, then repeat. Ithink 4 coats will be fine. For best finish, take it to a paint shop to get it clear coated. The under coat can be brilliant, but the clear spray will never be event enough to bring that shine through. Best have it clear coated with a good spray gun.

But then for the price of 10 spray bottles, you can just get a small spray gun, then you can do your top coat too. hmmm

Its easiet to come out with a good look if you use any type of metallic paint (blue metallic, black metallic...) because the coating will not have to be absolutely even and still looks decent.

roadracer797

Ike
Thanks for the compliment on the paint but heyI am my worse critic when it comes to my paint jobs, maybe it looks good because I only charged you guys for the cost of the paint LOL. No serious thanks though and hope to see you at the track so I can show you my 600 paint job that I'm doing, it's going to be funny as shit.
Craig