Couple of class eligibility questions

Started by Kris87, July 26, 2007, 11:52:04 AM

ahastings

Quote from: benprobst on August 08, 2007, 07:00:03 PM
eeehhhh, ill be done with all of this lightweight bull in a few months. Ill go down to road atlanta in october and either win a couple championships or lose a couple championships, then Ill move on to a big bike and see if i actually am capable of riding a motorcycle quickly. Hopefully someone buys my superbike for mucho money.  :thumb:
Are you planning on going from running the lightweight classes as an amatuer to the bigger bikes as an expert? I don't know your experience, but that is a big big jump. I ride both and there is a big difference. You might want to stay on lw bikes for your first year expert unless you are staying am another year.
Arnie
A&M Motorsports
Mid-Atlantic VP Fuel Vendor

benprobst

Ill be ok, but thanks for the concern. I know its going to be a big jump, but ill spend next year running a shortened schedule while i learn how to ride a big bike as well as get some personal stuff sorted out then go for my AMA license the following year(collect expert regional points).  :thumb: My future if I have one in motorcycle racing is on big bikes most likely endurance because of my size, so im going to skip the 600 class and start learning how to ride the big bikes.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

Kris87

i've been around long enough and won enough races to know a ss SV and a ss Duc 1000 are not equal machinery.  thats the reason i asked my question.   i dont care if they're allowed in or not, rules are rules and i respect that with any organization.   looking at the results and times from barber this weekend, i should have come over anyway.  oh well. 

123user

yes.  SV is not equal to Ducati is not equal to Buell.  There are benefits and drawbacks to each design. 

SV advantages over Buell and Ducati:

1. Low buy-in cost
2. plentiful spares
3. Good aftermarket representation
4. Reliable
5. OEM parts take less than 3 weeks to get!

The SV has allowed hundreds of racers to "club race" competetively, while Ducati's and Buells continue to cause hair loss and teeth grinding for team owners.  That's why the SV has been the dominant bike in the lightweight class for 7 years now.

benprobst

Hey scott, you should go ahead and do a live comparison, buy my superbike at the end of this year and run them both next year, every other round. That will give you time to work on the Ducati and time to look at the SV and appreciate only having to check the valves  :biggrin:
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

benprobst

Quote from: 123user on August 08, 2007, 02:51:52 PM
  Heavy trail braking just isn't necessary on such a small bike (mine weight 331)

you so crazy. my sv is 15 pounds lighter than your old hawk and I trail brake waaay deep. Have you seen Ed run his bikes? they weigh 15 - 30 lbs less than mine and he trail brakes into the next damn corner nearly.
Home of the GSXR 565

123user

Ben, you caught me,  I'm a p*ssy!  I'm trying to make it to F40...  only 9 seasons to go!

Kris87

yeah, what does trail braking have to do with the bike being light?  that doesnt make any sense. 

123user

I think I answered that question in my response to Ben's question.  "I" don't need to trail brake on the hawk, because "I'm" a p*ssy.  Trail braking would require me to ride fast!

So I'll revise my previous statement: For people other than me, feel free to grab the brakes on the entrance.

benprobst

Quote from: 123user on August 14, 2007, 08:51:26 AM
Ben, you caught me,  I'm a p*ssy!  I'm trying to make it to F40...  only 9 seasons to go!

You're not a pussy, you rode a hawk chassis with a 70hp KX500 motor that you built in your garage around a racetrack, that automatically qualifies you as not a pussy. As well as riding the most brutal dirtbike ive ever swung a leg over around the rocky ass woods at St. Joes, once again not a pussie. I was gonna say maybe your smarter than most of us and might actually make it to F40 then I reread the fist two sentences of my post and i changed my mind.  :biggrin:
Home of the GSXR 565

123user

Honestly, I can say I rarely trailed in to corners on the hawk because it just wouldn't go fast enough with me on it.  Maybe, only turns 7 and 1 at blackhawk.  The bike would just take everything I could throw at it.  Either I just went neutral after turning in, or I'd bang a down shift and the bike just seem to turn on its own.  I guess I should have tried leaving the throttle open all the way through.  Remember, it only made 37 hp when I dynoed it at Heartland Park.

I think I'm bringing the ol' Hondasaki 500 to blackhawk this weekend.  I wanted to run it at least once this year... I was thinking about bringing it to Daytona this fall, but I'm afraid it'll seize.

Xian_13

If I read this thread correctly...
The whole topic of trail braking stems off of comments made about me riding Truckstop's bike.

Yes, I was trail braking...
If you have to use the brakes, the only fast way around the track includes trail braking.
Yes, if is possible to use lean angle and pushing the front tire on purpose to slow the bike down.
I was unwilling to do this, on her bike. Simply put, it is the first time I ever rode it at BHFs or trying to go fast.

As far as how when I did my braking...
Turn 1 and 7 yes.. as hard as the brakes would take it... and yes, right up to apex.
This is NOT how I wanted to brake, I actually wanted to be WFO by apex, to get better exit speed.
The lack of brakes on her bike did not meet well with my chosen brake markers.

Also, I was hard on the brakes going in to 3A.
On the exit of 3, I was getting the bike to wheelie from the hard drive (man twins are fun). In an effort to reach my lap time goal, I was not going to lift till the last second.

More braking...
Entering 3, I had the bike topped out in 5th. I needed some brakes there.
Entering 6, I may have been able to get away with just a down shift... But it was still an unfamiliar bike, and I was not going to force any issues.

I do NOT claim to be a good light weight bike rider. Hell I do not claim to be a great rider on any bike rider.

It is my humble opinion... If you have to use the brakes, the only fast way through the corner is, drive it in deep and brake at the last possible moment.

123user...
I look forward to seeing this bike. I heard about it at Gingerman in 2005.

XIII
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT