ROC prep questions

Started by Fast4fun, July 21, 2007, 12:27:24 AM

Fast4fun

What does it take to win at Daytona?  Is it a purely horsepower track?  Do you prep your bike for superbike and hope to pass tech for supersport? How much head work is necessary and allowable in supersport?  After RA I got the feeling that horsepower alone can put you on the podium. So I imagine that would be the case for Daytona as well.
CCS Mid West EX #675
Tri 675

Super Dave

No head work allowed in Supersport.  Purely HP?  No, you still have to learn the tricks of the track and get the chassis set up. 
Super Dave

Fast4fun

Dave,
  I'm a relative noob to the tuning aspect of this sport but it seems that there is a pretty big HP disparity within the middleweight class. And, I read that you can go 1mm over bore which means you can use thinner gaskets (deck the head!?) and I'm sure I'm just scratching the surface for maximizing tuning. Not to mention the fuel. So, with that in mind, what are the chances anybody could win at Daytona without doing a significant amount of "legal" tuning? 
CCS Mid West EX #675
Tri 675

Ducmarc

1mm over is the piston bore size. base gaskets adj the compression ratio to a point but it also moves the cam timing .if you have never raced at Daytona ask about your gearing with the bike you have and take the team hammer it's more important to learn the track and practice is limited.HP is always a plus .but turn one entry and entry into the chicane is more important.

Fast4fun

Duc,
  I just assumed that within any class, someone would go over bore and take the opportunity to replace the gaskets with thinner racing gaskets. Lets call that max tuning for supersport. Within the class, is it possible for a mildly tuned bike to win if the riders are close in ability? By mild tuning I'm assuming a race pipe and PCIII, gearing, and suspension. I've been to Daytona once as a spectator and it looks like an all out hp race to the finish. But if I'm reading you correctly, you think that there is a genuine chance that a better rider can win.
CCS Mid West EX #675
Tri 675

resurection

Ive read before that the high speed banking and tight infield are harder on tires than most tracks .Some tire research may be worthwile

Super Dave

I wouldn't call the infield "tight".  Strange maybe.  You don't get a lot of heat into the right side of the tire.  A GSXR1000 will beat up a tire, but they do that everywhere too.  Yeah, it will do it more at Daytona.

Honestly, Daytona will put a load on an engine, sure.  Build a stellar modded motor for Daytona?  Well, a lot of those break.  If anything, I'd just lean on a fresh motor, rings and all.  Sure, if you have more power, one might be able to go faster, but how much time do you have to learn the track and get your bike set up?  A really fast bike that doesn't handle is scary and a decent risk to give you fits or toss you off.  If you can have a fast bike that handles at Daytona?  Well, that's good.  Again, it has to stay together too.
Super Dave

Ducmarc

dave's right.back in the day people would build cazy motors just for daytona and they usually blew up now I think only the foreigners that come over do this i.e. europe and japan. thinking they need a thousand hp and usually they don't have much success. reliablity and set up is more important .(bring plenty of gearing) sometimes too tall a gear the motor won't pull and you run around in 5th. it's not real technical but the long high speed then the 45 ( maybe it's 30 i don't know) degree turn 1 takes getting used to.but i'm old and slow.I remember TZ 750's in the 200.

Scotty Ryan

This year was my first time at Daytona - it was for the AMA 200. Getting off the chicane and into T1 are the most important things on the track - in my eyes. And since you haven't been on the track before - i would worry more about learning how to go fast and then worry about what your gonna do when you do start going faster and all of a sudden you start bottoming the suspension on the banking. Fun times :)
"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??

d-wire

the draft is very important.  I drafted past bikes at daytona that are consistently faster than mine at other tracks :thumb:
Dunlop, Crush Leathers, DCDecals.net, GPBikes Inc, Acme PowderCoating, Sharkskinz, Leo VInce, Bazzaz
FL region #2

Super Dave

Quote from: Ducmarc on July 25, 2007, 08:51:53 PMthen the 45 ( maybe it's 30 i don't know) degree turn 1 takes getting used to.but i'm old and slow.I remember TZ 750's in the 200.
29 degrees.  You're close.
Super Dave

Eric Kelcher

Quote from: Super Dave on August 01, 2007, 02:57:35 AM
29 degrees.  You're close.

He was closer Dave.
Daytona International Speedway Specifications

Superspeedway
2.5-mile trioval
40 feet wide with 12- to 30-foot apron

Turns
Banking: 31 degrees
Length: 3,000 feet
Radius: 1,000 feet

Tri-oval
Banking: 18 degrees (at start/finish line)

Frontstretch
Chute length: 1,900 feet (from turn to middle of trioval)
Total length: 3,800 feet
Banking: Minimal for drainage only

Backstretch
Length: 3,000 feet
Banking: Minimal for drainage only
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition