News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Lost one of my best friends Wednesday.

Started by HAWK, July 20, 2007, 12:54:50 PM

HAWK

I got Sasha from Save-a-Pet 11 years ago. She was a year old and very timid. She had gotten off to a rough start with her first family but she came around in short order. Within a couple weeks she went from cowering at the sight of people to running and jumping at my chest at full speed when ever I came home. She was still a little timid around strangers but once she got to know you you had a best friend for life.

The last couple years she has delt with arthritis and last year she started to lose her hearing. Tuesday evening she would not eat and at Wednesday morning at 1:00 am she died peacefully in my arms.

Despite being a little destructive and rowdy she was one of the best friends I have ever had and she was always there when you needed a hug.

She will be sorely missed by my Elkhound Sabastian and myself.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

Tom Fredricks

I send my sympathy,  Pets such as that are the best companion you could ever ask for. I have a 18mo. German Sheaperd that has become quite a important and charished part of my family. enjoy the pics and remember the good times.

T & J racing

funsizeracing

Very sorry.  Animals (and racers) are the best freinds.
Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

Firecat

Quote from: funsizeracing on July 20, 2007, 02:22:20 PM
Very sorry.  Animals (and racers) are the best freinds.

+1 very sorry to hear of your loss
Brian Blume
Hix Racing #803

cbirk

Extremely sorry to hear of your loss Hawk. I have 2 dogs (4 year old pitbulls that I've had since pups) myself that mean the world to me. My dogs are my BEST friends... 

George_Linhart

Sympathy on the loss, Paul.  You did a good thing addopting Sasha and bringing her to a loving home where she was cherished.

The world really is a better place because of the unconditional love given by pets...

George

Kuala76

My deepest sympathies.  This week our family also lost our 13 year old beloved & loyal family akita, Yuki.

Maybe they'll meet in the "afterlife"  :thumb:

RIP Sasha & Yuki - congratulations on your wings
Kumi
MARRC Corner Worker of the Year 2008
MARRC Vice President 2012
MARRC President 2013

tstruyk

I'm so sorry for your loss.  My wife and I have a "kid" that is battling Canine Oral Melanoma.  He is a 7 year young Chow Chow named Prince.  I can say the thought of losing him is nearly unbearable for my wife and will certainly be no small task for myself.

You gave him a great life, celebrate that.

RIP sasha

CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

Jeff

So sorry to hear that Paul & Kumi...

Very tough to lose a loved pet.  I think you guys were here when I lost chief late last year.  Hit me much harder than I thought it would.  Hang in there and rejoice on the fond memories...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

HAWK

Thanks everybody, it's great to have friends and family at times like these and I've never had such a great bunch of friends as I have since I started racing.

Kumi I am very sorry to hear about your loss, 13 years is a long and I'm sure wonderful life Yuki had.

tstruyk, take lots of pictures of Prince now,  I have a lot but wish I had more. I used to "finish" rolls of film on them all the time but since I went digital I only shoot the "special" moments, now I wish I had all the everyday stuff too.

Jeff I remember when Chief passed, I hope that you've moved on from the pain of loss to pleasant feelings of good memories. It's always hard, they are like family.

Thanks
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

truckstop

Paul, sorry to hear... you gave that pup a loving home for 11 years, cherish that. So sad that our animal companions have to have such short life spans.

We had to put one of X's cats down a few months back. 16 years. I didn't know him long but still miss him.

steve p

Paul,

I can relate, and my heart goes out to your family.  We lost our Great Dane ,Blondie, almost 3 years ago and at times it is still rough.  They ARE family and are, well I don't have to tell you.  Her and Blondie can now play with no pain.

Steve
Steve Palella
MW #32
2002 Aprilia RSVR Mille

HAWK

Thanks everybody, not my first and won't be my last but it's always hard.

Jen, sorry about X's cat, it doesn't take long to get attatched to a friend that doesn't fight or argue. That's the thing about pets, we can always count on them.

Steve, that she is still in your thoughts says it all.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

EX#996

Sorry for your loss, Paul....

Wow, she looks a lot like our dog Tasha that we put down a few years ago at the age of 15-1/2.  Don't be surprised if your dog, Sabastian, goes through a bit of depression.  Our dogs did and it took them a while to recover. 

Animals certainly touch our lives and we'll always have our memories to make us smile. 

Dawn (and Max whom you met at RA)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

HAWK

Sabastian is  definitely  not himself, he seems anxious right now like he's waiting for her to come home. He has known her since he was 8 weeks old and has never been away from her for more than a day in 11 years so it has to be tough for him. 

Thanks again.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

Oscar_Madison

Paul, so sorry for your loss. Thought I'd share a few qoutes.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
                           - Roger Caras

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you.
This is the principal difference between a dog and a man
                           - Mark Twain

The one, absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him,
the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous, is his dog.... He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer;
He will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounter with the roughness of the world.......
When all other friends desert, he remains.
                                  - George Vest

Dogs lives are to short.... Their only fault, really
Jason Runte
I used to race, now I don't even own a bike. Dam limited income.

K3 Chris Onwiler

So sorry Paul!  She looked a lot like my Rommel.  He's getting old and slow now. (Like his owner....) I dread the day I'm in your shoes.
Remember, people are throwing away perfectly good dogs every day.  Your local shelter has your new best friend just waiting to meet you as we speak!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

HAWK

Thanks Guys,

Jason, all true, every time I'd lie on the floor with them Sasha would lick my face for no reason. I guess she had her reasons.

Chris, That's where we'll go when Sabastian and I are ready for a new friend. Healing time right now.

Thanks again.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

barb_arah

There are times I prefer the company of animals over people.  Talk about unconditional love.
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.

251am

Paul, sorry for your loss. I agree with Barb and Mark Twain.

Pound puppies and strays are the best critters.   

HAWK

Thanks Barb, You and Ed are good people but you're right, sometimes I just like the company of my pups and the fact that they judge nothing.

Todd, dogs give so much love sometimes it's hard to understand but take one who knows what bad times are and show it the good and you have a pup that can't try hard enough to make you happy.

They got loose one day when the meter reader left the gate open and animal control was able to catch my Elkhound but as anyone who knows Huskies will tell you, you can't catch a Husky that deosn't want to be caught. She chased the animal control truck with Sabastian for 2 miles and then went back to the driveway where they caught him and spent the night under the homeowners boat. I picked up Sabastian at the vet the next morning and went where they told me they left Sasha. She saw Sabastian in the car and she went through the open drivers window on a dead run to get to him. The neighbors who had spent hours trying to lure her with everything they could think of were amazed.

Thanks everyone, this is hard but it is great to have friends like you at times like these.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

Suzy

I am so sorry to hear about Sasha, she was a sweet doggie. She was always so happy to be with you too.  :wah:
2005 Rookie Corner Worker of the Year!

HAWK

Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

tzracer

Quote from: Hawk on July 21, 2007, 02:14:46 PM
They got loose one day when the meter reader left the gate open and animal control was able to catch my Elkhound but as anyone who knows Huskies will tell you, you can't catch a Husky that deosn't want to be caught. She chased the animal control truck with Sabastian for 2 miles and then went back to the driveway where they caught him and spent the night under the homeowners boat. I picked up Sabastian at the vet the next morning and went where they told me they left Sasha. She saw Sabastian in the car and she went through the open drivers window on a dead run to get to him. The neighbors who had spent hours trying to lure her with everything they could think of were amazed.

Elkhounds are easy to catch once you locate them. Food is their weakness, besides they are not really very fast. Huskies, as you stated are another matter. Bohr has gotten easier to catch in her old age.

Sorry to hear about your Husky. You can stop by and give Bohr a hug.

BTW the Cream CIty Century is coming up at the end of August if you are interested (and ready) to ride. I would do the 34mi or 100k ride.

http://www.creamcitycycleclub.com/century.htm
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

HAWK

Thanks Brian,

I'll take you and Bohr up on that offer. I was hoping you guys might be at BHF this weekend, I took Sabastian to the track, he's really not up for a day alone yet. He had a great time, I don't think he's ever met that many people in one day.

Let me talk to my brother about the ride, we usually do the Bike Psychos Century which is on the same day but we usually do the 125 mi route and I'm certainly not ready for that. I could probably handle a 100K but it would kind of depend on pace.

I'll get back to you soon
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413