How serious are you about your weight for racing?

Started by ecumike, February 12, 2003, 07:37:58 PM

LSTD

I'm not hardcore, but definitely watch my fat intake and try to drink a lot of water in general.  I'll have a bag-o-chips here and there, with the occassioanl burger, but mostly have Slim Fast for breakfast and another one for a snack, here and there (Creamy Milk Chocolate flavor rocks!) and lean towards the grilled chicken, etc.

I used to be a serious gym freak, had huge protein intake, but stopped doing the heavy weights and literally lost 30 lbs. (I have the metabolism of a rabbit on crack), but started to keep a bit extra on the mid-section.

What to do?

All I do now is continue to watch what I eat, ride the dirt bike as much as I can + I've got a punching bag in the garage and I'll work on that for about 30 to 40 minutes, 3 or 4 days a week... and I'll play some basketball sometimes, or do some really fast walking on our treadmill (can't run due to a knee injury via a crash on the street... pre-racing that is).  Nothing scheduled to the minute, but ya know... gotta always stay active and do SOMETHING after work/on the weekends.

I'm about to get a trampoline (again)... a 15 ft. circular one.  I gotta tell ya... these can be some serious excercise + it's a boatload of fun.  I know, sounds kind of silly, but it can really get the heart rate up and be a great workout.  Sam's Wholesale... $200 out the door!

8)

Oh yeah, the day before a race, I'll start drinking a little more water + eat PB&J at the track.

pmoravek

Well...I work for Fitness Resource in Oakton Virginia, and I can tell you from experience that no matter what program you pick (Atkins, Bill Phillips, whoever)
it all boils down to cooking more calories than you take in. I used to have the "Rabbit on crack" metabolism too, but when I turned 35 everything I ate started sticking to me and I had to start being more conscientious about what I was eating (carbs, sugars, etc.) But a good balance of cardio work, resistance training, and watching the diet will go a long way toward making you feel more energetic, stronger, quicker, and just better in general.
...Now here comes the plug.
If any of you guys need exersize equipment...
RACERS DON'T PAY RETAIL AT MY STORE!!!
Come see me and I will get you set up with whatever you need.

Super Dave

You really need to read Atkins...

I can loose a lot of weight without working out.  Fat mass, not muscle.  And I eat a lot.  Ketosis is the key...  I don't have the book in front of me, but you can really surprise yourself.  There is science behind it.
Super Dave

GSXR RACER MIKE

I tried something about 10 years ago that worked very well for me. I had heard that one of the problems with our current life styles was that we get out of work, go home and relax, have a big supper, crash in front of the tube for an hour or three, then go to bed. The biggest problem with this senerio (other than the lack of physical activity) was the time between when we last eat and then go to bed or become inactive. What I had learned was that it takes something like 4 hours for food to leave your stomach and start thru the energy machine. What you are doing at this time will greatly determine what your body does with this food, in other words store it as fat for future use or keep it on hand for more immediate consumption.
     I began eating dinner immediately after arriving home and then would not even snack for the rest of the night. Over the next several months I lost 45 pounds by doing this alone, I did not change my diet at all! I also wasn't exercising to achieve this goal (though this probably would have sped up the process). Another thing that can help is if you exercise sometime after eating supper, but preferably not too close to the time you go to bed. This will help with your body deciding what to do with that last meal of the day. Also eating a lighter meal as the last meal of the day helps tremendously too.
     Say what you want about this type of approach but I know it works. Just don't eat (or snack) during the last 5 hours before going to bed and I guarentee you will lose weight. It may take a few weeks before you start seeing the results but it will happen, so stick with it! Once you achieve your desired weight you can reduce the time of last eating to about 3 hours to maintain your weight.
     A word of caution though, this is for losing weight and not for overall fitness. Exercise and nutrition are needed for good overall fitness and if combined with what I described above will be very affective in losing weight and getting in shape. This is what I am planning on doing to get where I need to be physically (after the last several years of slacking off).
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Super_KC124

QuoteI have a comprehensive training program centered around diet and weight training that I've been able to follow all since last year after the first race weekend where I realized how out of shape I was.

My winter results so far are (I'm 5'10"):
Starting Weight : 168, Now: 185 By April 1: 175-178

Bench press over 300 :D  :o

Note I feel that strength is also very important, so I spent the entire fall/winter gaining mass with a little extra fat along with it, only way for a hard gainer.  Now I'm in the phase to retain the gained mucle mass, increase cardio endurance, and reduce fat.

Where does heavy drinking figure into your comprehensive training program? (La Passage) ;D

Super Dave

Buy the book.  It's a natural state that your body can enter.  That's about it.  Dangerous?  Diabetes is dangerous...  That's what you get when you body can't handle carbs.

And there is a lot of bad talk about Ketosis...

And remember, the USRDA just changed their food pyramid because they know it's been screwing us all up for about forty years now.  Watch it change again.
Super Dave

Super_KC124

I'm 5' 8" 140. I'm going to work my way down to 138 for the race season. (I'll stay at 5' 8" though) ::)

Super Dave

With an electric shifter and a stand, I figured that I could drop an easy forty pounds by just cutting my legs off and still race.  

Better yet, it happens in an "industrial accident"...  Lawyers, compensation...  I mean, I've been trying to find a way to have a bigger race budget... ;D
Super Dave

racer46

here is a good article to read about fitness

http://www.sportrider.com/features/146_0010_fit/

as for me, i run and bike a few miles every day, lift weights every other and try to eat low carb, high protein and vegies.

ecumike

Yea, Dave, and everyone has some good points here, but just remember.. every body (no pun intended) is different, and there's no 1 solution for everyone.

The only kind of general 'diet' that everyone can benefit from is eating healthy, regular exercise and SLEEP.

Of course, depending on you're body's state, depends on what works for you, some of the methods described will might not be the best for YOU.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to shoot down any diets (atkins, The Zone, Hollywood, etc) or anyone's advice here... there's some great advice on this thread.

Just an example of what I'm saying, taking myself, when I was a personal trainer at Gold's, there was NO WAY that I could cut out carbs: I was doing 30 min. of cardio, and 45 min of weight lifting 6 days a week.. I was taking in over 3000 calories a day.. my bodyfat was at best down to 8%... It's like Pete said.. you need to use up everything you take in. And yea, I have the rabbit on crack metabolism, year-round soccer for 20 years did it to me, but I'm not complaining.

And then there's suppliments... I use Glutamine to regulate blood sugar to keep the cravings away when I eat low-no fat, and Ripped Fuel for the energy boost. But that's a whole 'nother topic... of non-healthy ways to burn fat.

Only eat as much as you think you're going to spend in the next 2-3 hours. If you're going to sit on your ass and stare at the computer for 4 more hours, eat half that chicken breast, not the whole thing. Then if you need it, eat the other half later. Eat smaller portions more often.

Anyways... sorry for the rambling. The best advice I can give, in general, is that you have to know your body... know what you eat, how much you should eat, and how your body reacts to different foods.

my .03

EX#996

QuoteWe are Borg...

Resistance is futile....  You will be assimulated.....

Paul says please assimulate me!!!!

Dawn   :D
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Super Dave

You will be absorbed...

SLEEP?!?!???!

When I started racing (I think that's around the invention of the wheel now), I lived in Omaha.  So, the closest race track was Blackhawk farms.  That was 442 miles away.  Next the original Gateway, Brainerd,MN, Hallett, OK, then Second Creek in Denver.  Sleep was just not an option.

Give me a good night's sleep before a race, and I'm all screwed up.  Just the way it is from habbit.

Here's a good one...

We used to have an AMA National at Charlotte Motor Speedway.  Neat town, but the track was a mess.  In 1991, it was a Thursday, Friday, Saturday event.  So, hey, Grattan's got something going on, I'll just drop in on the way back home to Omaha.  Nine hundred miles later, it's 630AM and the gates opening...(Did I mention that someone gave me $100 to bring their bike up from Charlotte too?).

I slept between practice sessons.  Didn't do too bad or too good.  The bike was just evil.  As Brian J Nelson...he still remembers.
Super Dave