News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

How serious are you about your weight for racing?

Started by ecumike, February 12, 2003, 07:37:58 PM

ecumike

I was curious how 'hardcore' people were about racing and their weight.
I usually try and keep active for the season, and summer in general, and just try and eat low-fat foods... nothing extreme.

I remember my first race weekend ever, @ VIR. We normally stop in Roxboro at the Burger King and grab some breakfast. So here we are, rolling up & getting our spot in the paddock. I get out and stand on the edge of the paddock 'road', still not believing I'm there to race, instead of watching a race. I'm chomping on my cholesterol infested, greasy, bacon egg & cheese croissanwich, as I see dudes walk by drinking Slim fast, eating bananas and yogurt and such. Man did I feel like a total stupid newbie, and seeing all these slim dudes made me feel like a fatty. (I'm 5'7" 165)

I felt like I should have puked it up after I ate it. It was kinda funny though, one of those "F*ck it, let just have fun" moments.

Xian_13

Though I am not 100% hardcore...
I am an Ex Road-Mountain Bicycler, and I will trim down to 135#s around May. Its more about other life activities but when you race bikes on paper paying attention to HP/Weight ratios I "in theory" hold a big advantage to the heavy weight guys. How ever skill will always over come this paper racing.
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

funksouljon

I am no more serious about my weight when it comes to racing than I am about regular day life. Of course 6'2 200lbs, there is not too much to slim off. I could loose enough to gain a HP or 2 if I tried really hard. But why bother!?

Nate R

In the last 2 weeks, I got REAL serious and hardcore about my weight. I think it's too late to be where I want to be by April, but I'll be slimming down a LOT.

I'm 5'10" with a medium frame. Once I stopped Mountain bike racing, i started gaining weight, and then i was on some meds from which i gained 15 more lbs in 3 months. I WAS up to 203. Down to 197 right now, and want to eventually be around 160.

Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

diesel748

I have been working on my cardio and eating a little better. The only problem is I'm 6.2" 215 and don't have a gut to loose we will see what happens. I am going to try to be about 205 by april.

MightyDuc Racing

Started watching what I eat and riding my mountain bike (no hills down here though).  I was 6'0 and 215 in December, now I'm down to about 196.  I actually don't want to lose too much more, cuz I'll have to replace my fat guy leathers ;D.
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

Jeff

I quit drinking in preparation for last season, and haven't had a drop since.  This dropped around 30lbs off of me.  I additionally spend 4-5 nights a week on a recumbant bike for a leg and cardio workout.

This has made a huge difference in my abilities...  You can remain much more focused when you're not dog tired.

The weight was not the concern for me, it was the stamina...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Super Dave

Stamina has a lot to do with set up and technique.  That's how I was able to outlast everyone at MAM. I used to be very preoccupied with my racing weight when I was an AMA Pro regular.  

My mentor, Dale Quarterley, put it into perspective for me.  He was like 6'3", 200+, and he eventually won an AMA Superbike race head to head.  In the end, you still have to set the bike up and ride it.

With my goofy life, racing school, a bike that I don't have time to work on because of kids, wife, and a job...  Working out just doesn't fit in for me.  I would like it too, but I really, really don't have the time.

After doing so many diets for so many years, I do have it all figured out though.  Unfortunately, I usually go off the diet during the season and gain weight because of all of the stress that I have trying to work on my school.
Super Dave

spyderchick

Ah...very, very good subject. Having been fat, mark that "morbidly obese" in the past, this is a subject I love. It's not only about weight, but about fitness.

7.5 lbs= one HP. If you are overweight, cheap ponies, right? But wait! there's more! It's more than slimming down and eating right. By fueling yourself properly you set yourself up for a whole cascade of positive health benefits, not only weight loss.

The body being the amazing machine it is loves good nutrition, and will use it to the best of it's ability, barring any disease. This is a tool for an athlete to use to his/her benefit.

Step 2 is conditioning. Cardio is good, produces stamina, and will further tune your body to perform at it's optimum. Ask your freindly personal trainer or gym rat about VO2 max. Strength conditioning is commonly ignored because some will tell you it bulks you up. However, your body has to have the right environment to become like Mr. Schwartzeneger, and most people don't even have the genetics to support that kind of growth. Strength training will condition your muscles, improve blood flow throughout you body, create a positive metabolic environment, and reduce recovery time of some injuries.

Step 3 Flexibily training. Probably the most neglected, and one of the most important for a number of reasons. Ever crash? Yeah, me too. Flexibilty conditioning can be a crucial factor between a sprained joint and a torn one.

Case in point, not at my target weight, I decided to give this sport a go. I'd been training, doing everything listed above. 2nd weekend ever, I crash in practice, cracking 2 ribs, wrenching my shoulder, knee and ankle. Blood pressure moments after the crash: 127/81 (normal) Heart rate: 78 (better than normal for the situation). Recovery time: sprains: 3 weeks, ribs:  most pain gone in 1 week, healed in 6 weeks. I'm allergic to alot of pain killers, I only took naproxin sodium (aleve) for the first week.

Do I think that a comprhensive training program is of benefit? Absolutely. However, each person has to evaluate their own goals and lifestyle, and tailor your program to your individual needs. And yes, I'm also a personal fitness trainer. you can e-mail me with questions if you like.

Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

sdiver68

I have a comprehensive training program centered around diet and weight training that I've been able to follow all since last year after the first race weekend where I realized how out of shape I was.

My winter results so far are (I'm 5'10"):
Starting Weight : 168, Now: 185 By April 1: 175-178

Bench press over 300 :D  :o

Note I feel that strength is also very important, so I spent the entire fall/winter gaining mass with a little extra fat along with it, only way for a hard gainer.  Now I'm in the phase to retain the gained mucle mass, increase cardio endurance, and reduce fat.
MCRA Race School Instructor

Litespeed

I weigh more than my bike so I'm thinking about getting in shape again.  I used to primarily ride bicycles and have been up over 300 miles/week average but don't really have time to do that anymore.  To be fair though, I don't think I will ever weigh less than my bike with full gear on.

Dawn

Quote To be fair though, I don't think I will ever weigh less than my bike with full gear on.

You could always get a bigger bike.  I have a 91 ZX-6 that would qualify for Thunderbikes.  I'm sure that bike weighs more than you.   ;)

Dawn   :)