NESBA trackday riders place well at CCS / ASRA Road America Races

Started by G 97, July 16, 2007, 04:17:27 PM

Headdog122

Quote from: Gixxerblade on July 19, 2007, 07:55:02 PM
Actually JRay NESBA does fall under the section 501(c)(7) rules of engagement as a social club,

1. It charges a membership fee.
2. It is organized for fun.
3. It does not discriminate against members.
4. All members share the same interest and have "social gatherings" (trackdays) towards there purpose of fun.
5. It doesn't make a profit of greater than 15% They probably dump it right back into the org.

I don't imagine that NESBA makes more than a million dollars a year and probably dumps most of that back into renting the tracks. NESBA charges a membership because according to the law of the US(IRS) have to.

P.S. I am not a member of NESBA either.
Edit: They are not 501(c)(7) like I thought. You guys really should be, at least you could justify your membership to others.
Also they(NESBA) did not really make much money according to their 2005 return:
http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2005/232/845/2005-232845798-029f0d75-9.pdf
If you can't open it just go to guidstar.org and open an account, it's free.

Clark..

Why you always got to disagree...  You seem to always try and take oposition.  Having said that, I would like to disclose my favorite Steve Clark QUOTE..!!

"See Jamie, your one of those guys that knows how to go fast and tell people, but can't go fast yourself!!"   :kicknuts:

That one is classic...!!  Thanks for the motivation..!!  You should be a traveling motivational speaker, Tony Robbins watch out..!!   :thumb:

he,he,he....
"Ride it like you stole it, or put it back in the shed!!"

Speedballer347

You guys either don't get it, or don't want to get it.

There is a BIG difference between doing trackdays, then wanting to get into racing
-versus-
doing trackdays, hitting all of your region's tracks for far too long....with the INTENT of going out and crushing in amatuer.

Nothing wrong with honing your skill and confidence....I am talking about something different here.
There aint nothing in the rules about going into amatuer with 32,000 trackday miles....but you wont get my vote for rookie-superstar.

Like I said, INTENT is what I am talking about here.  Two completely different intents.  One I am all for, and one I have no respect for.
CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

truckstop

Naw, I didn't miss the point, that's why I said in the first paragraph that I realized I might not count as far as who you're talking about and I know it wasn't directed at me. Just wanted to throw my own POV out there as a track day rider. While I don't agree with a lot of what Garth says, and many times I don't think what he says here is good PR for NESBA, (FYI I've never had the opportunity to ride with NESBA) a lot of what racers say about track day riders in general in a number of different threads hasn't been exactly welcoming either.

QuoteNow... if all I did was train from the time I was 4 until I was 15... never competed, just trained.  trained until I KNEW that I could beat anyone in the pool... then came on the scene and finsihed top 3 everywhere I went.  Would it be THAT impressive?  Yes the results are good... but would it be a suprise? 

Impressive? Honestly? Yes. I think anybody in any sport who can do well is impressive. A surprise? No. As for the original point of this thread, yes, I'm impressed with the finishes of the listed riders. Am I surprised? No.

At the same time I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who starts out track riding with the intention of racing, then goes and practices for 11 years (from your swimming example) at track days, and then go out to race. Would I be impressed? Heck yeah, that's a lot of dedication to a sport.

My main point to all my  :blahblah: was mostly that I really don't think you'll find a lot of racers who have done this, with the intent to put in 32,000 miles and then go out and race... or who hold out to crack the top three. Double check their intentions - did they all start out wanting to be racers? ... and I was in total agreement that different people have different motivation ... but I'm not going to look down at someone for how they got somewhere unless it was by nefarious means.

Thanks for the clarification on your thoughts though.

Speedballer347

Quote from: truckstop on July 20, 2007, 03:28:38 PM
I really don't think you'll find a lot of racers who have done this, with the intent to put in 32,000 and then go out and race... or who hold out to crack the top three. ...

I can name one  :biggrin:

I have ridden with NESBA a couple time and liked it a lot.  I think they have a good structer designed to improve ones riding, something I haven't seen with any other TD org.
I like Garth, he's nice guy in person, and from what I have heard from Mike Pruitt....smoking fast.
I have ridden Cycle-ops, STT, MCRA and Nesba and liked them all equally well.
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

red900

I would also like to make some other statements here:

Micheal Jordon - supposedly practiced hoops before joining the NBA  = Sandbagger
Tiger Woods - was caught practicing his swing before joining the tour = Sandbagger
Dale Earnhardt - ticketed several times for speeding before joining Nascar = Sandbagger
Frank Sinatra - recorded singing in the shower at age 13 = Sandbagger

I mean seriously, the thought of these guys practicing before the became stars really ruins my opinion of them.  I mean they may be good, but are we really surprised how good they are considering what we know now??

Dustin Boyd
Cyclepath Racing LLC
Midwest Race Supplier

red900

Dustin Boyd
Cyclepath Racing LLC
Midwest Race Supplier

Firecat

Quote from: rogers1323 on July 20, 2007, 03:08:34 PM1. The point was made about people doing trackdays for years, and then making a huge deal about being fast.  Credit is still due, but it is less impressive.

I don't recall any of the finishers listed coming on here and boasting about how fast they are. I also think you are jumping to a SERIOUS conclusion when you assume all those people listed in the first page have been riding trackdays for "years"

Quote from: rogers1323 on July 20, 2007, 03:08:34 PM2.  Plus, most people improve much more quickly by racing than by doing trackdays.

I think that this statement is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. When I started riding on the track..my form was horrible...I knew nothing about race lines and was lost and honestly was a danger to those around me because of my lack of knowledge. Through coaching I was able to learn the proper race line, how to properly get off my bike and how to actually ride the track.

Not with that said...I probably could have dropped laptimes much quicker while racing...but for me, eventually I would have hit a wall because there were so many other things that would have been wrong with my riding. I may have improved more slowly doing trackdays but my improvement while riding trackdays has been in the areas where I will truly recognize faster times when the time comes to race...and what I have learned will keep me safer when racing.

Quote from: rogers1323 on July 20, 2007, 03:08:34 PMbut I am not at all comfortable throwing it into turn 1 with a trackday rider who is just starting racing.

I didn't ask if you would be comfortable....I asked "Who would you RATHER...."
Brian Blume
Hix Racing #803

backMARKr

Quote from: truckstop on July 20, 2007, 02:17:55 PM
There's a distinct difference in the personality of a race day and a track day. I'm 10-20 seconds faster in a race.

I sure hope I can pick up 10 seconds or more between Friday and Saturday next weekend........

I might actually get into the 20s at Blackhawk... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
NFC Racin',Woodcraft, Pitbull,M4, SUDCO,Bridgestone
WERA #13

Speedballer347

Quote from: red900 on July 20, 2007, 03:59:02 PM
Who?

I aint going down that road.  I am not here to oust or insult any particular person or discredit their finishes.
I know of one, I am sure there are others.  I don't need to name names, because I really don't care.  I was never impressed by their finishes....are they fast? are they good riders? did they deserve their finishes?....YES, absolutely! 
Am I suprised or in awe...nope :sleeping2:

truckstop

Hey man, I said several times that I'm slow, and I know it... that means lots of room for improvement.  :biggrin: My 10 second increments are like a fast guys' .10 increment at this point.  :ahhh: ... and I'd be thrilled to get into the 20s... hey... stop laughing.

r1owner

Come on Speedy, it's OK, you can out yourself...

Hi, My name is Speedballer and i'm a...

tstruyk

Quote from: red900 on July 20, 2007, 03:50:30 PM

I would also like to make some other statements here:

Micheal Jordon - supposedly practiced hoops before joining the NBA  = Sandbagger
Tiger Woods - was caught practicing his swing before joining the tour = Sandbagger
Dale Earnhardt - ticketed several times for speeding before joining Nascar = Sandbagger
Frank Sinatra - recorded singing in the shower at age 13 = Sandbagger

I mean seriously, the thought of these guys practicing before the became stars really ruins my opinion of them.  I mean they may be good, but are we really surprised how good they are considering what we know now??

lets see...

1.  Michael Jordan spent all that time shooting jump shots before he competed???  He never once played in a match until the NBA?   I dont believe he waited until he had the skills of an allstar before competing. 

2.  Tiger woods.  Are you really trying to throw in a golfer??  LOL. You think he waited until he was one of the top 3 golfers before he competed?

3.  Dale Earnhardt... yeah he didnt race anything at all before going to nascar...  :lmao:  He waited until he knew he could run in the top 3 and THEN he went and raced.

4. Frank Sinatra.  He didnt wait until he was the best singer to start recording.  someone saw talent and had him record.

and really I would have used more "grass roots" examples... as the top 3 obsiously had SOME experience in competition before they landed in the NBA/PGA/Nascar. 

Yes Red... people practice.  and yes they practice before they compete.  to hold out until you are sure you can win... as speedy said, its about intent.

I asked the question earlier... I'll ask again.  Are you going to bump to expert this year?  Or are you shooting for AM championships?

and finally why are you so intent on impressing me???    :biggrin:  really, I'm not that important.

yeah I know... smitesmitesmite... DONT DRINK THE KOOL-AID!!!!   :ahhh:

CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"