NESBA trackday riders place well at CCS / ASRA Road America Races

Started by G 97, July 16, 2007, 04:17:27 PM

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quote from: 61Ex on July 20, 2007, 03:49:19 AM
Freaking puggle breeders. :lmao:

Anit no fucking puggle breeder. Puggle isnt anything more than a mixed breed with a fancy name to scam people out of money. Sad when you have to deal with people who think pugs came from puggles.  :banghead: Yep, pugs, a 2000 yr old breed, came from a designer dog thats not been around more than 5-7yrs. Fuck yuppies and their 'need' for having 'breeds' for their mixed breed dogs.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

251am

Quote from: Woofentino Pugrossi on July 20, 2007, 12:58:59 PM
Anit no fucking puggle breeder. Puggle isnt anything more than a mixed breed with a fancy name to scam people out of money. Sad when you have to deal with people who think pugs came from puggles.  :banghead: Yep, pugs, a 2000 yr old breed, came from a designer dog thats not been around more than 5-7yrs. Fuck yuppies and their 'need' for having 'breeds' for their mixed breed dogs.

:kissy:  yup, I bought a fishing license for trolling whilst up nort der, eh?!

My post is Garth and NESBA related as there's a bunch of dog owners in the NESBA crew that need 940's lowdown on JUST what exactly IS in a puggle anyway!! :lmao: 

no labradoodles, chickapoos, or any other of the teddy bears or golden doodles too! :biggrin:

eightonezero

Quote from: Speedballer347 on July 20, 2007, 12:03:10 PM

My post is not nesba or Garth related

A big +1.  I don't have much (if any) respect for a trackday guy waiting for his laptimes to reach a competitive level before sacking-up in amatuer....at that point, even the best amatuer finishes are not going to be impressive to me. 
Like K3 said, these multi season trackday guys put in hella more laps than a racer, so they should be faster than the normal amatuer.

+2

r1owner

A big +1.  I don't have much (if any) respect for a trackday guy waiting for his laptimes to reach a competitive level before sacking-up in amatuer....at that point, even the best amatuer finishes are not going to be impressive to me. 
Like K3 said, these multi season trackday guys put in hella more laps than a racer, so they should be faster than the normal amatuer.

Quote from: eightonezero on July 20, 2007, 01:11:03 PM
+2

+3

truckstop

I dunno, I'd say it's a very individualized thing too. I didn't wait for my laptimes to go down before I uh, "sacked-up" with my imaginary nuts and got a license, but I'm sorry that because I'm a track day rider (with a variety of orgs) that some of you may not have any respect for me. That's unfortunate. (I'm also not fast, nor competitive, so I might not count, but hear me out anyway.)

There's a distinct difference in the personality of a race day and a track day. Both myself and and a friend who just got his license and started racing after doing a lot of track days have found that there's a switch in our brains that changes the level of adrenaline and focus during a race vs. track day. I'm 10-20 seconds faster in a race. There's no comparison in the feeling. You wont learn race craft at a track day, but you will learn how to ride better, no doubt about it.

I'm not fast, but of every fast guy I've talked to, they've all said the same thing to me - that they're more comfortable with me on the track than some people who are faster just because I'm smooth, predictable, and take good lines. I owe that to the amount of time I've spent on track. I'm quite happy that even though I feel like a moving chicane, that I'm not pissing everybody off by being one of those slow amateurs who's all over the track and has no business in a race (which I've heard discussed in the past). Guess we can't win no matter what we do?

I also don't see a lot of people who's goal it is to be a racer hanging out for years at track days until they're "ready" for racing. If you've got the fire in your belly to go race, you're not going to wait. Plenty people can hit the track a couple times and end up fast without much practice. Some can't. How many guys out there do you know that have been racing for a while but never win any races? Maybe they should do a couple track days? More often I see peeps get into riding at track days, advance through the groups, and then decide later on they want to take it to the next level and try racing. Not everybody has to take the same path... and not everyone has to race to get enjoyment out of riding at a track.

I would have never started racing had I not started with track days, racing was never my intention. It has been said before and I'll say again, that it might be wise to cultivate more racers, and welcome track day riders into racing to help keep the sport going.

This animosity between track day riders vs. racers and track day org. vs. track day org. is a bunch of hooey to me.

Firecat

Quote from: Speedballer347 on July 20, 2007, 12:03:10 PMA big +1.  I don't have much (if any) respect for a trackday guy waiting for his laptimes to reach a competitive level before sacking-up in amatuer....at that point, even the best amatuer finishes are not going to be impressive to me. 

I'm thinking about racing next year and have been following this thread and I have a few questions regarding this post.

1. If I'm a former trackday rider and I choose to race then I'm not  "worthy" of any credit for my accomplishments?
2. If I choose to work on my skills before racing in order to be a safer and more competitive rider I lose respect from my fellow racers/riders?
and the final question
3. Who would YOU rather throw your bike into turn 1 with.... someone who knows there way around the track or someone who decided they wanted to race and has never set foot on a track other than the licensing school?
Brian Blume
Hix Racing #803

Firecat

Quote from: truckstop on July 20, 2007, 02:17:55 PM
I would have never started racing had I not started with track days, racing was never my intention. It has been said before and I'll say again, that it might be wise to cultivate more racers, and welcome track day riders into racing to help keep the sport going.

This is true for me too...I have been riding for MANY years and NEVER considered racing until I did a few trackdays.

Brian Blume
Hix Racing #803

red900

QuotePersonally I found more enjoyment testing my abilities with peers of equal experience (real AM's with minimal laps), then sandbaggin at TD's for 2-4 years to make sure I can finish in the top 3.  I dunno, just seemed more... pure.  Maybe thats my underlying issue.  Everyone has their own motivation.

+5 Gadgillion......

I mean seriously, come on, practice before you go racing??  Measure and hone your skills at a racetrack before trying to be competitive on a race track?  That takes all the fun out of it for us guys that just want to go out there with no practice and win races...  As a matter of fact anyone that rides a bike that was made after 1995 is really cheating in my opinion.   These new bikes are so much better than the bikes that are really the "sole" of racing.  Additionally anyone who uses these full face helmets really takes away the true meaning of racing.  I mean seriously, anyone who goes racing without the fear of ripping their face off is really not riding with the same mindset that we used to have back in the day...  I mean lets face it, racing was so much more fun when the bike couldn't turn, open-face helmets were common, tires were half as wide and twice as sticky, and there were no trackdays to practice...   It's just plain cheating too me and no fun...  Amazingly comparable to competing in the special olympics, it just aint fair....
Dustin Boyd
Cyclepath Racing LLC
Midwest Race Supplier

r1owner

Quote from: red900 on July 20, 2007, 02:34:12 PM

that are really the "sole" of racing

I think you meant "soul", or maybe you really don't get it...

tstruyk

truck and fire... you are missing the point completely.   :banghead:

your worthy if you choose to race now
your worthy if you choose to do trackdays until you can run a top 3 expert lap time, its just not that impressive to me for a "first race weekend ever".

get over the thought that this thread is directed at anyone, or more to the point... you... its not.

I just refuse to get overly excited for people that hang out in track days until they can run up front.  If thats there motivation.. fine.  But I'm not going to be impressed, I dont have to be.  If you are impressed.. then YAY you!!

How bout this. 

Lets see if I can make an anology.  I used to swim competitvly 15 years and 50 pounds ago.   I competed in USS swim meets throughout the midwest.  never really won anything big, was competitive but only at a regional level... never made nationals.

Now... if all I did was train from the time I was 4 until I was 15... never competed, just trained.  trained until I KNEW that I could beat anyone in the pool... then came on the scene and finsihed top 3 everywhere I went.  Would it be THAT impressive?  Yes the results are good... but would it be a suprise?

thats my point.  If you still dont get it I dont know what to say.  I have repeatedly stated that the results are good.  No doubt.  you finish well you should be congratulated.

IMO if you hold out on racing because you feel "unsafe" then yeah... wait til your ready, I call that smart.  I did 4-5 TD's before I felt comfortable gridding up, I'm not referring to that mindset.  But to hold out until you can crack the top 3 every race?  I guess I just dont see what the fun in that is.  again, different people have different motivation.

red900... who said its cheating?  I just said I'm not impressed.

CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

rogers1323

Wow, another twist.

Quote from: Firecat on July 20, 2007, 02:22:49 PM
I'm thinking about racing next year and have been following this thread and I have a few questions regarding this post.

1. If I'm a former trackday rider and I choose to race then I'm not  "worthy" of any credit for my accomplishments?
2. If I choose to work on my skills before racing in order to be a safer and more competitive rider I lose respect from my fellow racers/riders?
and the final question
3. Who would YOU rather throw your bike into turn 1 with.... someone who knows there way around the track or someone who decided they wanted to race and has never set foot on a track other than the licensing school?

1. The point was made about people doing trackdays for years, and then making a huge deal about being fast.  Credit is still due, but it is less impressive.

2. I'm not sure anyone said anything about respect based choosing to be safer.  Plus, most people improve much more quickly by racing than by doing trackdays.

3.  There are plenty (thought not all) people who do track days for years and are still not comfortable with close racing.  Those people, however, may register early and get into the front group for turn 1 because of their skill.  Those who are brand new to the track with no experience, however, will be at the back of the grid and will rarely make their way to the front by turn 1.  Yes, I have to worry about it later in the race when I lap them, but I am not at all comfortable throwing it into turn 1 with a trackday rider who is just starting racing.

superspud

Quote from: red900 on July 20, 2007, 02:34:12 PM

I mean seriously, come on, practice before you go racing??  Measure and hone your skills at a racetrack before trying to be competitive on a race track?  That takes all the fun out of it for us guys that just want to go out there with no practice and win races...  , it just aint fair....
It's great to have CR's (coaches) out there doing well with us common amatuers.  I did two days with nesba a couple years ago, got bumped to intermediate, maybe rode three more track days with other orgs then, and did two free race licensing schools.  More of a true amatuer, I dropped four seconds from my track day times in the first weekend racing.  I'm on about my sixth race weekend with just about no trackdays since I started racing (can't really afford them) and I'm hooked on the competition that racing has to offer.  I've placed 3rd, 4th, and some 5th's in some very competitive classes, but I don't have the same amount of track time as some out there with us.  I don't believe I'm a dangerous rider having less track time, but comparing the # of laps we've both run around a given track would be a joke.
CCS MW Am #778