NESBA trackday riders place well at CCS / ASRA Road America Races

Started by G 97, July 16, 2007, 04:17:27 PM

red900

Quote from: xb9racer on July 21, 2007, 05:23:55 AM
I do think some here are very paranoid.  I'm not personally attacking anyone.
But I also think it's retarded to say "these are OUR TD riders and look how good they are." I know Joel. He's very fast for an AM. But he's also done over 12 TD so far this year with various organizations. God Almighty!! He better be fast with that much track time!! I don't care what organization he runs with!! 

Stop thinking that way. 

TRACKTIME DOES NOT EQUAL FAST!!!!!

Fast is what is in you.  It is Will, Drive, Determination, Sacrifice, Energy, Failure, Listening, Learning, Pushing, Falling, etc etc etc etc

Do you get it, just because a person does 12 TD's does not mean he is fast, nor does it mean he is ready to race. 

Is it that hard to grasp?
Dustin Boyd
Cyclepath Racing LLC
Midwest Race Supplier

Super Dave

Quote from: Firecat on July 21, 2007, 12:18:26 AM
I have come to the conclusion that you are a smug unhappy little man who has a serious inferiority complex. Your track whore comment clearly illustrates this. 

I am bewildered at why you would spend the time to post what impresses you and what does not.... You post over and over and over about what impresses you when in reality...who cares what impresses you? 

My only hope is that your opinions aren't indicative of how the CCS community as a whole thinks.
Honestly, I hope that he's fully able to make his points as he wishes.  As for him being a smug unhappy little man...I'm not sure what kind of personal point you're trying to make, the times I have met him, he hasn't been any of them.  Good luck with that.

As for the CCS community...

He can say what he wants.  Communities are made up of individuals that are capable of making up their own opinions.  This is certainly the same as other communities like WERA, STT, AFM, AHRMA, and so on that actually have different opinions than other people in the community.
Super Dave

Super Dave

Quote from: red900 on July 21, 2007, 03:37:19 AM
In racing you will have to be able to deal with an inferiority complex for the years until you have earned the ability to finish at the top.
Nice post, Dustin.

However, for some champions, the inferiority complex never goes away.  The drive to continually strive to be better and better and better and better is part of the cycle that racers at the upper levels have which is pretty much a disorder.  Is it always healthy?  No.
Super Dave

red900

Quote from: red900 on July 21, 2007, 03:37:19 AM

In racing you will have to be able to deal with an inferiority complex for the years until you have earned the ability to finish at the top.  Hopefully, instead of jealousy, you will look deeper and realize that the people you are jealous of are no different that you,except they have just gained the knowledge and experience that you have not.  Your next question should be how do I get that good?  It should be a never ending cycle.  Did I look at Ben Thompson or Andy Fohyerstaller this last weekend in jealousy, for a moment, but I realized that I am better served to go up and pick their brains and try to unlock the secrets.  And finally, just push myself to put up or shut up.  Push myself to the edge once again.  What am I willing to risk to ride at that level?   

Dave, your post seems awfully similar to what I wrote. 
Strive to get better, never ending cycle, gaining knowledge and experience, how do I get that good, push myself further......   Did my post not cover it?
Dustin Boyd
Cyclepath Racing LLC
Midwest Race Supplier

suzukigirl

Well, I'm glad this thread has a made a little bit of a turn for the better, and while I try so hard not to, I can't help but to put my 2 cents in.  

Dustin... you are kicking butt this year!!   Are you an expert rider?  yes, but an expert racer? NO.   Also, even if Garth was trying to 'bring up old arguements', or whatever.... He is a director of an orginazation that MANY people on here were bashing HARD, not very long ago.  So what if he wants to show you how well some of his riders did.  And so what if its to prove a point.  Maybe its a point that some of you don't really care about, but its important to him and everybody who's name he posted in the first post, even if they didn't happen onto this thread to post on it.  These ARE the people that everyone was talking shit about a couple of weeks ago.  (Maybe not directly, but as a group.)  

I know that one of my MAIN concerns about going racing is the fact that it is very possible that there are going to be a few people on the grid that HAVEN'T done any track days, and in turn I'm going to end up getting taken out.  It truly amazes me some of the advice that SOME of you give new riders, ie 'just do the learning curves and start racing'.  Like you don't understand that these are going to be the same people gridded up next to you.  (I have seen the threads)  I understand that there is a good chance that you will just get away from them at the start, but still... there's plenty of oppertunities for something to happen.  

I did my first races at the end of the season last year.  (at the end of my 1st season)  I was pretty disappointed with my results... even though I was running good times, didnt get lapped, and the fact that it was a very competitive weekend.  I don't care to place last in a race, or 2nd to last, or whatever, so I decided to get a little bit more 'training and practice' before I try again.  Now, I have a little bit over a year's experience, have gotten a lot of good help and advice from friends (nesba folk), and completed an awesome riding school (Freddie Spencer), and feel that I could actually be competitive in a race.  I planned to race at RA, but unfortunately buggered up my knee in a lowside at the NESBA day, but plan to get out and race as soon as the finances allow.  I'm feeling pretty good about it, and think I'll be very competitive and finish well.... now that I have some good practice.  Honestly, the only people I'm REALLY worried about are my fellow NESBA riders    :thumb:

xb9racer

Really!!?? What's that old saying oh yeah Practice makes perfect.
Sorry dude, but you're dead fucking wrong.  So wrong it's to the point of stupid.
Yes, will and drive and skill are major factors. But along with that goes, knowing the tracks. Knowing your limits, knowing your bikes limits, knowing where to push and where not to. The list goes on and on. Can you honestly tell me that track days do NOT help a rider/racer? If so, what the hell is the point of this entire thread. Seems to me some people are equating NESBA with doing well at races. :blahblah:

Firecat

Quote from: Super Dave on July 21, 2007, 09:10:12 AM
As for the CCS community...

He can say what he wants.  Communities are made up of individuals that are capable of making up their own opinions.  This is certainly the same as other communities like WERA, STT, AFM, AHRMA, and so on that actually have different opinions than other people in the community.

Dave,

Anyone can say what they want...its America after all.  I think you missed what I was trying to say.....which was

"I hope that the majority of the CCS community doesn't have the same opinions about trackday riders turned racers"

You are right...eveyone is entitled to their opinion...he stated his and I stated mine. It seems like this has kind of cooled down now, which is good. I hope that everyone took away at least a look and feel for the other sides perspective
Brian Blume
Hix Racing #803

r1owner

I agree with Dustin (to a point) that track time does not necessarily mean fast.  It is as he says.  You have to decide if you can go that fast through the corner.  If you don't have the will, no matter how much track time you have, you aren't going to go any faster.

But, assuming two riders have the same will and determination, then I do believe that more track time will make you faster.

No matter what though, up to a point more track time will make you come up to speed quicker.  I don't understand how it can take 4 years to decide you want to race, but everyone is different.  In my case, as soon as I took Ed Bargy (never been on a track before that), I couldn't wait to get on the track and race!

red900

Quote from: xb9racer on July 21, 2007, 10:16:21 AM

Really!!?? What's that old saying oh yeah Practice makes perfect.
Sorry dude, but you're dead fucking wrong.  So wrong it's to the point of stupid.
Y :blahblah:

Ok, so now im stupid....Considering the fact that I supposedly have more track time than almost everyone on the track.  Considering the fact the I am actually a control rider whom works with people at track days every other weekend.  Considering I am a rider whom has moved from trackday to racing after 4 years.  I can see how you think your perspective must carry some weight to the point that you are right and i am stupid... 

I have not coached hundreds of people on the race track.  I have not seen countless people choose to never grow beyond the beginner group, years at the same level and happy with that being the limit of their comfort zone...

Ya, im stupid...   

Dustin Boyd
Cyclepath Racing LLC
Midwest Race Supplier

Helmsman

I got into racing ONLY because i did trackdays.  2 years ago, if you had told me I would ever race a motorcycle, I would have laughed in your face, and said that you were crazy.  I did my first trackday because I thought it would be fun, and I wanted to improve me STREET riding skills.  I figured i could push the limits on the track, and it would give me a greater safety margin for riding fast in the twistys on the street.  It wasn't until the next year, when i got a pretty good deal on a bike that had been raced, and had both street and race plastics that the thought ever even crossed my mind to grid up for a race.  Then I did a couple more trackdays because I wanted to at least be semi competitive before spending a bunch of money to finish dead last.  I think I have done a total of 6 or 7 trackdays.  I am some where around middle of the pack for the AM, but hope to get better.  I dropped nearly 2 seconds off my PB lap time at BFR in my first 4 laps of racing, then i promptly decided to take a dive into a wall and broke my collar bone.  But I can say I am completely bitten by the racing, and the thought of doing trackdays bores me now.  Sure, if i had unlimited funds i would do them just as practice, but my goal is to not run up any debt in this expensive hobby, so I haven't done any.

I don't think this thread was ever started to say that trackday riders where better then racers or anything like that.  Maybe G97 can clear it up (he never answered my question when i asked it earlier) but i suspect that he is trying to suggest the NESBA riders are better then other riders.  I can't see any other reason why he would have posted up the things he has posted up.  That idea is just plain odd though.  Considering the number of members that NESBA has, and the number of dates they do, combined with the number of years that many of the riders have in the program, it would be more embarrassing if they DIDN'T have a few guys and gals that were winning and doing good every race weekend.  I'm not trying to take anything away from anyone, just pointing out its a matter of numbers, not necessarily any great thing that NESBA provides.  If you have several hundred riders, yeah there are going to be some damn good riders in that bunch.

So, G97, i am asking you, what was the purpose of putting this thread up?

red900

Quote from: Helmsman on July 21, 2007, 12:05:41 PM

So, G97, i am asking you, what was the purpose of putting this thread up?

Your question is justified.  Not to put words in G97's mouth, I would be willing to guess it has something to do with the thread that was about Road America track days.  You would have to take a look back a couple weeks.  it was a huge thread, and may answer your question. 
Dustin Boyd
Cyclepath Racing LLC
Midwest Race Supplier

Helmsman

Quote from: red900 on July 21, 2007, 12:13:56 PM
Your question is justified.  Not to put words in G97's mouth, I would be willing to guess it has something to do with the thread that was about Road America track days.  You would have to take a look back a couple weeks.  it was a huge thread, and may answer your question. 

I read parts of that thread.  Most of the complaining seemed to be about it costing so much to do the trackday, and having to buy a membership even if people only wanted to do that one day.  Not saying NESBA riders sucked or anything like that.  (all though I will admit that i didn't read the entire thread, and certainly don't plan on doing so now.)