Main Menu

Iowa track unsafe?

Started by Sig, July 14, 2007, 01:51:11 PM

Sig

Quote from: Noidly1 on July 15, 2007, 01:10:40 AM
Sig;

Read the last line of my second post...

this one?

"Just because you are in a race does not nessisarily mean you have to go fast Everywere on the track."

That also doesn't make sense. Sure you go slower in the slow parts but you are still going as fast as you can go without wrecking. That's racing.

racrx451

great... just when I was getting excited about this track, (cuz it's only 45 min away) I have to worry about safety and being on a 170hp machine. 
'08 Ducati 848

CCS/ASRA #451

Mongo

Lemme see...  We ran a National at Gateway the weekend before the AMA race there in I think 95.  But I'm horrible with years.  Not sure ever had a rider die at either Gateway, had one hurt bad at the new track when he didn't let go of his bike and got stuck between it and the wall.  He held on for a long long time.  We have done some races on the new track obviously, ran at night under the lights with an Endurance, ran pro/am and amateur sprints and it worked pretty well especially for a modified oval track.

The new track isn't perfect but it can be run safely, you have to rethink how you do the chicane, it can't be like a normal one, think more funnel like. We've done it and done it well (thank you Ed Bargy).  We quit running there due to turnouts, not safety issues.

Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing
www.wera.com

Super Dave

Maybe it was a track day.  They were just starting around that time. 

This is where I need all those back issues of American Road Racing and RRW. 
Super Dave

r1owner

Quote from: racrx451 on July 15, 2007, 02:58:18 PM
great... just when I was getting excited about this track, (cuz it's only 45 min away) I have to worry about safety and being on a 170hp machine. 

If you're talking about Gateway, it's not as bad as some people are making it out to be.

r1owner

Quote from: Mongo on July 15, 2007, 04:09:37 PM
The new track isn't perfect but it can be run safely, you have to rethink how you do the chicane, it can't be like a normal one, think more funnel like. We've done it and done it well (thank you Ed Bargy).  We quit running there due to turnouts, not safety issues.

Yeah, I wonder if they put more pavement just to outside of the last turn (NASCAR pit in).  Then we could go further out and slow down out there (maybe with a slightly sharper turn that would put us onto the straight at less of an angle.

racrx451

Quote from: r1owner on July 15, 2007, 04:43:33 PM
If you're talking about Gateway, it's not as bad as some people are making it out to be.

no, i raced gateway this year and that track is by far my least favorite.  Im talking about the Iowa Speedway... I don't want that one to be 2nd from the bottom but Im afraid it may very well be. 
'08 Ducati 848

CCS/ASRA #451

Noidly1

FYI-
95/96 was the transition between old and new Gateway tracks per officials...
BTW, the o'riley score board is where "Stages" was and the grassy area between track and paddoc of oval is where old strip used to be. Some of the old buildings are still there but moved to include security and mantinence bldgs. some of the old equipment are still there too.

Mr. Bret Kepner, of drag racing notariety, is one of the historians.
He can be reached at his website  www.bretkepnerphotos.com and the stlsr.com forum.

If you don't ride beyond your abilities and the track's capacity there shoulden't be any probs...
'08 R6, CCSGP44EX

Sig

Quote from: Noidly1 on July 15, 2007, 06:38:23 PM
If you don't ride beyond your abilities and the track's capacity there shoulden't be any probs...

So let's say you are out there not really pushing it in a race, maybe you are just racing to get in track time......

Who is to say somebody won't lay it down right in front of you or hit you from behind, or cut you off and cause you to wreck....etc etc etc.

Riding within your limits isn't going to keep you safe always.

Super Dave

I do agree.

There are places that i've raced at that have been called dangerous.  Some of those places still allowed me a short opportunity to at least decide that I should put the bike on the ground before hitting something.  It would be nice if Gateway didn't have the wall separating the infield from the oval entering turn one.  A different chicane would be good too. 

I like the layout even though I've plowed the wall on the brakes into one. 
Super Dave

r1owner

Quote from: Super Dave on July 15, 2007, 07:54:38 PM
It would be nice if Gateway didn't have the wall separating the infield from the oval entering turn one.

For the life of me, I can't understand why that wall is even there!  Wouldn't it make more sense for the BUSCH guys to have a wall separating pit in from the track where a car is most likely to spin back up on to the track if they lose control?

T1 is IMO the scariest turn there, not the chicane.

Noidly1

Quote from: Sig on July 15, 2007, 07:39:25 PM
So let's say you are out there not really pushing it in a race, maybe you are just racing to get in track time......

Who is to say somebody won't lay it down right in front of you or hit you from behind, or cut you off and cause you to wreck....etc etc etc.

Riding within your limits isn't going to keep you safe always.

Dude;
You can "What-if" everything to Death.

If life scares you that much, stay in bed...

Oh BTW. Lay on your back, I don't want you to die of "SIDS"...

Not to be mean  but, damn... Get over it. You can Not control Everything in life, Just live it and be HAPPY.
'08 R6, CCSGP44EX