News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Recruiting and Retention

Started by EmerWil, June 26, 2007, 10:26:54 PM

EmerWil

The age old problem...getting members and keeping them...

MARRC has a distinct disadvantage right off the bat, we don't pay people to work.  We have a committee that is responsible and they do a good job at bike shows but I've always thought there were other ways we could get new workers.  The hardest part, in my opinion, is explaining (and showing) people who we are and what we do.  When people ask me what a corner worker is I tell them that we throw the flags and pick up the bikes when they crash.  I know it's a little over simplified but people have short attention spans.

The club is only as effective as our members.  If we have less than a good turn out it's going to mean we have to work harder to do the same job.

So, maybe we can learn from other organizations.  How do they get and more importantly retain workers??

Gixxerblade

I think many org's actually kidnap people out of their homes.

EmerWil

Quote from: Gixxerblade on June 26, 2007, 10:40:54 PM

no way!

Woofentino Pugrossi

Midwest Safety Crew pays $50/day (after the training day), free lunch and free gate. But yet even now we are slightly hurting for workers. Last BHF we were announcing over teh PA that we NEED people to work. No one volunteered. :(

We lost a couple quality long timers due to lack of a way to get to the track (gas prices I take it as one reason). Also some people just get burned out and take off for a while.

Racers. If you know someone that would be interested in helping, get them out here to work. Its not like they will be tossed on a corner alone for their first time. Just need a white shirt, gloves, hat and sunblock and want to help out (and at least 18yrs old). Remember, if theres not enough workers, theres no racing. We cant do trackday style staffing from what I understand. We need a certain number of workers to get the races going.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Kuala76

Quote from: Gixxerblade on June 26, 2007, 10:40:54 PM
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I really don't have any good suggestions with regard to recruiting (retention is a different matter, but I won't go there for now...).  As much as I love being a corner worker, I don't know how EVERYONE wouldn't love doing it  :thumb: I know I have left our MARRC cards numerous places, and of course talk at length with lots of people.  As many of you know, Lori was working corners and trying to recruit me for a number of years, and you can't get more enthusiastic about corner working than she did!!!!  However, getting up at the crack of dawn on a weekend, working in the heat/cold, rain,etc., and running around a "dirty" track picking up bikes and peeing in the woods just wasn't appealing to me.  I also didn't think I would be qualified to do such! On the other hand, all it took was ONE DAY and I was hooked!!! The training we received from MARRC, classroom and trackside built my confidence in my ability, and I think the race fumes are addictive because I can't stay away!!!  Not to mention the commaraderie with the other workers and the fun they are!  So after all that  :blahblah: I don't have any really good suggestions  ::)

Kumi
~MARRC Corner Worker
Kumi
MARRC Corner Worker of the Year 2008
MARRC Vice President 2012
MARRC President 2013

EmerWil

maybe rob has something...

maybe we should be hitting the racers harder...

TheHiriser

I think being more active on here is one beneficial way.  The more we show that we are actually an active organization on boards the more response we may get.  I have a few suggestions in the mix already and I'm always open for more.  I mentioned handing out flyers to all the vehicles that come in the gate that aren't towing race bikes.  Some spectators may be too shy to ask how to get involved, think we may be too busy to bother, or for any other number of reasons just don't ask.  The announcers at the track always thank us it seems and mentions the website but honestly unless you are somewhere with a PA speaker (and it is actually turned on) do you hear anything else except from fellow cornerworkers?  I say more advertising at the actual place we play.  I know of atleast one person that got tired of sitting in the pits and actually jumped into MARRC feet first.

Suzy

Quote from: Woofentino Pugrossi on June 27, 2007, 02:01:14 AM
Midwest Safety Crew pays $50/day (after the training day), free lunch and free gate. But yet even now we are slightly hurting for workers. Last BHF we were announcing over teh PA that we NEED people to work. No one volunteered. :(

We lost a couple quality long timers due to lack of a way to get to the track (gas prices I take it as one reason). Also some people just get burned out and take off for a while.

Racers. If you know someone that would be interested in helping, get them out here to work. Its not like they will be tossed on a corner alone for their first time. Just need a white shirt, gloves, hat and sunblock and want to help out (and at least 18yrs old). Remember, if theres not enough workers, theres no racing. We cant do trackday style staffing from what I understand. We need a certain number of workers to get the races going.

yep, I agree, and I am also trying to bring in new people, and they don't seem interested (other plans, lack of motovation, etc.  :blahblah:), but like me, once I got to the track and tried it, I thought it was great. ::)
2005 Rookie Corner Worker of the Year!

EmerWil

so how do we get them hooked? lol

free passes to the next bike show? 

TheHiriser

I don't know to be honest.   One day at the track for me was all it took and I was whipped.  :spank: I admit it.  I don't know why everyone wouldn't react the same way.  Sometimes it makes me wonder if they are the sane ones,  :lmao:

grandpanot

I think that there is no magic bullet to solve this and that there are 1000 reasons to do this and 1000 reasons not to do it. Each person has their own variation on what compels them to do this. For many it is a passion for the sport and the up close and personal view the corner worker gets. I have worked in the midwest and while the $50 is a nice recognition it is not going to attract someone who doesn't have other reasons for doing it.
I think the MOST important aspect is a well run and likeable team with good leadership. The reason I mention leadership is that it will solve many issues like;
preventing or mitigating petty bickering between workers
fighting to get them the best equipment/training
pushing the tracks and organization to think about the cornerworkers (an example is the maintenance and repair of the cornerworker stations) (or even having decent ones AHEM Autobahn comes to mind as an offending track)
If I knew my limits I would probably exceed them anyway

Kuala76

Well the good leadership and advocacy for workers is VERY evident in MARRC.  Everyone knows I can be "difficult"  :boink:, and I am not sure I ALWAYS agree with EVERYTHING going on  ::), but bottom line is that I feel like they do a good job of "having our backs" and that's very important for what we do.  Again, it's a matter of getting people out there and showing them a good time, and maybe sometimes observing how things are run at other tracks/races where there is no good organization/leadership, in order to appreciate what organization, leadership and training can do to "advance motorcycle racing" in the form of both quality and quantity of corner workers.
Kumi
MARRC Corner Worker of the Year 2008
MARRC Vice President 2012
MARRC President 2013