News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Rotor direction critical???

Started by PitBoy, June 21, 2007, 07:40:35 AM

PitBoy

Just got done prepping a spare set of rotors for some of the new Ferodo XRAC pads and noticed that the spare rotors I prepped were from the same side so when I put them on (the front) one rotor has the directional arrow pointing the wrong direction. These are just stock rotors but I was wondering if this would be an issue or not...

NightHeat

i don't know how it would cause a problem, only thing you can do is be your own test pilot and give it a shot.  Thats what I would do!! :rollseyes:

PitBoy

Yeah, I took it up and down the street last night just to see if anything strange would happen but I just wanted to make sure.

Jeff

Now I'm no metallurgist, but I did actually speak to one once who stated emphatically that it WAS critical.

Think about it, if it was not critical there wouldn't be LEFT/RIGHT rotors.  The spacing isn't different nor are the bolt patterns.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Jason748

The stress imparted on the "HUB" of the rotors is what is going to be a factor, especially under repeated and Hard braking.  The Hub itself is what determines the direction and they're designed only to be used in one direction due to the inherent strengths and weaknesses of each design (in direction rotors).

I wouldn't recommend it.
CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com

PitBoy

Well there's enough doubt thats its probably in my best interest to just swap it out.... Thanks for the help.

gixxer188

I just put some stock rotors on my '05 GSXR 1k and ran the last race weekend at BHF and 2 track days since and haven't noticed a problem braking and I never even considered that there could be a right/left side and that I might have put them on wrong.
MadisonSBK.com Online Store
MadisonSBK Racing - Owner/Racer
2012 CCS Midwest Regional Formula 40 Champion
2012 Blackhawk Farms Raceway Formula 40 Track Champion