News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Ok Mechanics/Wrenches, answer this one...

Started by grasshopper, June 20, 2007, 10:40:28 AM

EX_#76

Quote from: grasshopper on June 21, 2007, 02:43:59 PM
Hey Guy, go out in the garage and fire up your bike and try it. Hold your hand over the front, the bike will die. Hold your hand over the rear carb the bike will keep running.

Get back to me.

I'm going to strap a quarter stick of dynamite to that Potatoe head of yours.

You mean Potato? because there is nothing on my feet!!  LOL!!! 

I totally believe you.  I also think you are correct about inertia being too low, but for a slightly different reason.  I was thinking about the firing order and the associated delays between them and it make sense in one way but not in another.  On one hand the firing order is uneven in terms of the time lag between the power stroke between the front and rear cylinders.  On the other hand there is 720 degrees (two full rotations) of time between between each cylinder firing no matter what.  That tells me that the lag between the cylinders can't be the issue here. 

Here is my theory.  The rear cylinder is nearly vertical in the chassis.  the front cylinder is nearly horizontal.  When you lift a mass vertically it requires more energy than pushing the same mass horizontally.  Therefore there is a higher loss of inertia when the rear cylinder stops contributing to the power output, and the engine stalls.  I'll bet that if you could run the engine on its side this phenomena would go away because the losses on both cylinders would be the same.

Soooo... that is my two cents.  If you do not like it, shove that quarter stick between both cheeks and light it up buddy!!! 

Just kidding, See ya at RA!!!
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor

JBraun

ASRA/CCS MW #29
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
PIRELLI

EX_#76

Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor

Dr. Evil

Quote from: grasshopper on June 20, 2007, 10:40:28 AM
First and foremost:
When I cover up the front carb with the palm of my hand on my SV the motorcycle dies.

I recommend not to do that anymore.
:banghead: