News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

RESPONSIBILITY

Started by riderupred, June 17, 2007, 09:41:25 PM

riderupred

I am a cornerworker. my job is an optional responsibility. key word RESONSIBILITY. If I'm not mistaken, i am there to keep the riders as safe as possible. and to be there for them when they have fallen. I am not there to act like a child or play B.S. high school drama games. I'm there for the riders and that's it. I would hope the other cornerworkers would agree.  AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT FEELS THIS WAY?
Mrs. Gntbldr!

Simon

Just a wild guess....but I'm thinking that maybe you're not happy with someone? ::)
MARRC Cornerworker
CCS AM 48
Always in the gravel, one way or another!
www.marrc.org

Jeff

well, without more details, I'd say your post has a bit of drama to it! 

Do tell...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Kuala76

I agree with you....unfortunately it seems that BS and drama tend to find folks in all types of places! ~Of course NEVER with the MARRC crew........... ::)

Kumi
MARRC Corner Worker
Kumi
MARRC Corner Worker of the Year 2008
MARRC Vice President 2012
MARRC President 2013

Simon

NEVER, EVER, with the MARRC Crew....  :ahhh:
MARRC Cornerworker
CCS AM 48
www.marrc.org

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quote from: Jeff on June 18, 2007, 09:50:46 AM
well, without more details, I'd say your post has a bit of drama to it! 

Do tell...

I wouldnt worry about it Jeff. The other party in question isnt even a member on here.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

EmerWil

well..maybe no drama when the net is on the air...

after hours...well..hmm..ummm...

:pop:

riderupred

She doesnt like me cause of who my friends r. she must not understand responsibility.
Mrs. Gntbldr!

TheHiriser

Who doesn't like who?    Did I miss something here?

Simon

I think we're being teased.
MARRC Cornerworker
CCS AM 48
www.marrc.org

251am

Charlie Brown knows the cute little red haired girl...who else?

:pop:

riderupred

im not giving details of what actually happened. it's not important.  :jerkoff:     i will be honest i don't know the difference between a kaw or a bmw. I know what the levers are and were they are. i know what not to touch. i could care less about the make of the bike. i care about the rider and if they are ok. and control only cares about the condition of the rider and their bike #. we could careless what kinda bike your riding.  she is younger then me. she needs to grow up. she needs to learn responsibility. and the radio is not the place to have diareah of the mouth. watch the bikes and riders! OPEN YOUR EYES, PAY ATTENTION, (forget the suntan)AND DO YOUR JOB!!! PLS.
Mrs. Gntbldr!

Dr. Evil

Quote from: riderupred on June 17, 2007, 09:41:25 PM
I am a cornerworker. my job is an optional responsibility. key word RESONSIBILITY. If I'm not mistaken, i am there to keep the riders as safe as possible. and to be there for them when they have fallen.

1st -your own safety
2nd-(my) other corner workers safety
3rd- Racers on the track safety
4th- fallen rider safety
and...have fun!  Thats how you know you are doing it right.

Did I get it right?

TheHiriser

5th downed bike, but it does tie in basically with the 4th.  Not like he fell out of the sky or anything without his bike.

Unfortunately I do have an unspoken 6th.
Spectators, either standing in the wrong place, wearing wrong colors or injuring themselves.

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quote from: TheHiriser on June 25, 2007, 11:31:19 AM

Unfortunately I do have an unspoken 6th.
Spectators, either standing in the wrong place, wearing wrong colors or injuring themselves.

We've had some issues with specators at BHF especially in the T4-5 area. One year we had a couple of them try to stop the race themselves by running trackside (for those that never been to BHF, theres an open gate for the ambulance to get on track there). They just dont understand that if a bike goes down there its travelling near 80-100 mph and they WONT be able to get out of the way. Personally I;d like to see a law that allows tracks to prosecute peopl elike that just like they do in MLB parks.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141

TheHiriser

At Summit Point we had to stop races because we were out of ambulances due to a spectator trying to show off on a 4 wheeler and busting their head open.  We already had 2 busses down for riders and that little event took the third.  Needless to say that sparked the "No Pit Bike" or other little vehicles outside the pits rule to be enforced causing even more grief.  People would complain to us about it as if we had anything to do with it.

Simon

It's interesting that as corner workers we seem to catch the wrath of spectators (and sometimes racers) because we have rules we have to follow, whether our own, race promoters or the track managments. I can't tell you the number of times I've got yelled at for having to tell people to get of the fence (track managers rule) or move from in front of ambulances. My most recent expiriance was having a spectator yell at me because a flagger didn't drop his flags and run onto the track to assist a downed rider while the race was being red flagged. I don't know what the guy expected the flagger to do, roll the guy over to see if he was ok!! I tried to explain what the flaggers primary role is and that an ambulace was dispatched to the riders aid with in 10 seconds and that the medics are trained to give the best possible help etc, etc...But he still kept yelling. Whatya gonna do, comes with the territory I guess.
MARRC Cornerworker
CCS AM 48
www.marrc.org

Kuala76

And that, my friend, is EXACTLY why I could NEVER be an ASD with MARRC.  NOTHING ticks me off more (okay maybe some things do, but at this given moment this is it) than spectators yelling at us on the corners.  As an ASD you have to "diplomatically" handle these situations.  As a mere corner worker, I get to call you guys out...vent to you guys  :blahblah: and if warranted you guys get to either speak with the spectators, or just calm me down enough so I don't hurdle the fence and tell them what I really think!!!!  :finger:  HE HE...I've never used that "smiley" before, but this is the perfect use.  Okay, so the spectators in question probably get to HEAR exactly what I think of them as I vent my frustration to the lucky ASD  ::), BUT I don't personally confront them right? As we all know, despite how much we LOVE doing it, corner working can be very physically and mentally taxing, to say the least.  I have been to a couple of different tracks as a spectator this season and really tried my best not to comment on corner worker actions.  Yes, it was difficult, but I also know what it's like to be in their position and have people yelling over the fence.  Spectators get caught up in the moment too, and some really don't understand our rolls out there. 
Kumi
MARRC President 2013

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quote from: Simon on June 25, 2007, 04:04:32 PM
But he still kept yelling. Whatya gonna do, comes with the territory I guess.

Simple call security and have said idiot removed. Problem solved.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141

EmerWil

hmmm

Maybe we could come up with a "Idiot's Guide to being a Motorcycle Road Racing Spectator" and when someone wants to get mouthy, just hand them a copy.

I've gotten yelled at by spectators who see a rider go down and stay down not moving.  They're screaming for someone to help them (little do they know the ambulance is already in route, the red flag is out and workers are making their way to the downed rider but can't cross the track because of oncoming riders) but all they see is a downed rider.

It's like when people are watching a house, car or other possession burn out of control and they're waiting for the fire truck.  It always seems like HOURS but in actuality it's really only minutes but because they're sense of time is so distorted and they're emotional they want to lash out at the closest person they find.

Our course I'm preaching to the choir here but I have on more than one ocassion gone over and confronted a mouthy spectator and 'explained' to them what was going on that they DIDN'T see.  I also take that oppertunity to invite them to come out and learn how to be a corner worker and make a difference.  Of course 9 times out of 10 that would mean they'd have to put down their beer for the weekend (well..it sounds good right??) and make a...say it with me kids...COMMITMENT.

So next time I'm spectating and see another 'uneducated' spectator with the "i know it all" hat on I am just going to say "hey...I'd don't see you out there helping..." and leave it at that...

dylanfan53

Wow...I never knew that you guys took that much crap. 

From the track what we see are good people in white who, for some reason (and I don't think its the lunch ticket or the pay), have decided to pitch in and do more than anyone has a right to ask.  As one who's been helped when incapacitated, I'd be happy to explain how it really is to anyone that needs a little education.  I've always felt like you're there before I even hit the ground!

Ya'll rock!     

Don Cook
CCS #53

TheHiriser

Don,

I don't speak for everyone but we do appreciate the kind words.  As far as MARRC we do not get paid.  We do get lunch tickets but most of us are out there for the pure love of the sport and to have the best seat in the house. 

Plus I don't currently own a race bike and I get to touch a bunch of them most weekends.  So that is a major plus for me.

Kuala76

Yes we do appreciate the kind words and the "thank yous", and a quick wave on the cool down.  And no, we aren't being paid out there at Summit other than the obvious things already mentioned (best seats in the house, and the love of the sport).  Being out there is one of the most physically and mentally taxing jobs I have EVER done.  We are constantly on our toes...all senses keyed in to sites, smells and sounds.  As far as us "being there before you go down", sometimes I literally have to stop myself from trying to run down the track as I see a rider in the preliminary stages of a crash, no, I can't catch you no matter how hard I tried!!! After being out there so much and observing every site smell and sound, there are times I think we know riders are going down before they do!  We learn your style, the way you take turns, your "normal" pace and we notice differences.  Even as a corner worker, KNOWING that the calls have been made, awaiting that ambulance can be a VERY NERVE RACKING experience, and spectators yelling over the fences just intensifies the affect.  Do they think we are standing there thoughtless and heartless as there is a rider down on the track?  All that being said...I LOVE WHAT WE DO and there won't be a weekend race at Summit that you won't find me on one corner or another  :biggrin:

~Kumi
MARRC Corner Worker
Kumi
MARRC President 2013

Simon

Always appreciate a thumbs up. :thumb:
Working for the MARRC Safety Crew is as much fun as racing. Luckily I'm a better Cornerworker than Racer...and it costs me a whole lot less!
MARRC Cornerworker
CCS AM 48
www.marrc.org

EmerWil

I agree with what Kumi says...it's very mentally challenging...you want to do everyting right....I've spent many a sleepless night replaying events in my mind trying to figure out if I could have done things better..

I remember my first few weekends working and I would actually have dreams/nightmares of riders crashing...kinda wierd...

I also found working a turn to be an awesome escape from reality.  Out there I can forget about my problems (bills, work issues, problems at home) and concentrate 100% on the track and on the rider.

TheHiriser

It is an awesome escape out there.

Kuala76

Quote from: EmerWil on June 26, 2007, 06:11:47 PM
I also found working a turn to be an awesome escape from reality.  Out there I can forget about my problems (bills, work issues, problems at home) and concentrate 100% on the track and on the rider.

I think this is one of the BIGGEST benefits I get from working the track!  It's a place to "let go", to forget about what other real life issues there may be, to focus on something I LOVE all day!  Anyone who has seen me at the track will be able to testify to the fact that the level of carefreeness (is that really a word??) and excitement I get at the track is hard to come by...just to turn around on Monday to come to work in my business suit and sit behind a desk...... so  :cheers: to escaping from reality at any given track in your area !!!  :cheers:
Kumi
MARRC President 2013

EmerWil

that's why seeing people in "real clothes" at the banquet has always been kinda shocking..lol

Kuala76

LOL!  Yeah, I think if people didn't hear me coming before they saw me, they wouldn't have recognized me  ::)

~Kumi
MARRC Corner Worker
Kumi
MARRC President 2013

TheHiriser

It's always funny at the banquets to hear the expression "Wow you really do clean up nice."