News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Alpinestars back protector uncomfortable

Started by DavidV, June 11, 2007, 08:48:34 PM

DavidV

I run an alpine stars back protector. Does anyone else find that it is a little uncomfortable? I think it limits my mobility a bit. Sometimes it rides up my neck when going through kinks. But the thing is, it works so damn well and I've crashed several times in it.

Thoughts? Should I change to one that countours the body more, like Knox?  Who has crash tested their knox or bohn several times here

PJ721

bought a Bohn back and chest protector this year..and have tested them out 2 times so far - and I'm very happy to say all the gear worked well. If you're not comfortable with it - I would change to something you feel better with.

I can say the Bohn dosen't ride up like my old Teknic did.
Paul Castiglia
CCS - #524 - SV650

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Laugh uncontrollably...
And never regret anything that made you smile....

cbirk

I have the alpinestars tech back protector (one with with straps) and I'm totally happy with it. It did ride up on my back and bump the back of my helmet when I was using a two piece suit but once I got my 1 piece it worked perfect for me. Heres the one I use. Same as yours?

DavidV

that is the same as mine. I'm happy with it, it just interferes with my body positioning I think. I probably should get it sewn inside my 1 piece?  I feel like there's no other protector thats as "tough." I may try a bohn

Sig

I have the dainese wave and love it. I've also had success with the bohn.

HBS Racing

you just need the next smaller size.  I had the same problem.

Court Jester

Quote from: DavidV on June 11, 2007, 11:04:57 PM
that is the same as mine. I'm happy with it, it just interferes with my body positioning I think. I probably should get it sewn inside my 1 piece?  I feel like there's no other protector thats as "tough." I may try a bohn

that's what i have. if it's riding up, try not to make the waist strap too tight before you put on your leathers and don't sinch the shoulder straps up at all. it'll stay in place just fine. but the shoulder straps will pull it up and if the waist strap is tight it wont let it fall back down.
that fixed my problem with it anyway and crash tested fine at 135.
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

Spooner

I hit an armco barrier with my back a few weeks ago with my astar spine pro and had no damage to my back at all and I was MOVING when I hit it!  Get a shorter one and you will be good to go.  I also ditch the shoulder straps as I find they make it ride up too easily with them on.
CCS Expert #172
'04 R6

DavidV

Interesting, so the shoulder straps are what causes it to ride up? Sweet! I will try without it. I really like the back protector and dont want to get rid of it

Thanks for all the info guys

DavidV

by the way, i've crashed mine a few times. Should it be replaced??I dont see any damage on it? Do the A-stars back protectors generally need to be thrown away after crashes?  i know the knox's and bohn's do right?

TommyG

I cut the shoulder straps completely off and just use the waist band

zeroice

I've always been comfortable with my a star tech. But this last race at roebling was hell. On the second lap of the Solo it started riding my neck and caused a nasty blister. Belt needs to be somewhat tight to hold your guts in. Right? Its a kidney belt and thats what its for?

I'll try it without the shoulder straps...
Krishna A. Pribadi
CCS #707