News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Super Duty brake job parts question

Started by 251am, June 11, 2007, 11:12:41 AM

251am

Need to do pads and rotors on a early '99 Super Duty 4WD.

Anybody got suggestions for these parts besides a Ford shop. A Cali. Co. on E-bay has a complete kit-4 rotors and 8 pads for $320 +shipping. I'm not real excited about aftermarket stuff but the OEM is supposedly REALLY expensive for Ford.

TIA   

Jeff

did you check what the OEM cost was?  You might consider it.  Some of the crap you get off of ebay will give you more problems than they're worth.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

251am

Quote from: Jeff on June 11, 2007, 11:55:09 AM
did you check what the OEM cost was?  You might consider it.  Some of the crap you get off of ebay will give you more problems than they're worth.

Yeah, 10-4 on that, that's why I'm asking for any previous experience. This truck is/was manufactured at a break point for parts changes in the rotors and calipers. Ford OEM Motorcraft stuff is generally at least 2x the cost of aftermarket, but if there's a mix up all I have to do is drive the part 1 mile over to Boucher.

Motorcraft set of rotors and calipers, loaded with new pads for the rear only, is about $450. Autozone rotors and pads only, no calipers but all the way around for 4 wheels is about $250. Time to get to work.

Ducmarc

when my customers ask for non factory parts we have used napa or discont rotors and pads with good results  marc

251am

Quote from: Ducmarc on June 11, 2007, 11:29:44 PM
when my customers ask for non factory parts we have used napa or discont rotors and pads with good results  marc

Hmm, I'll check with NAPA for the fronts assembly. Tore into the rear brake assembly and found something I've never seen before. I thought I had a sticky caliper piston that was holding the pads to the rotor. Actually, the inboard pad seperated from it's backing and lodged in between the rotor and caliper bracket. At least I was close to home and could limp it from the track. Thanks for the insights.  :thumb:

Woofentino Pugrossi

Let me know if you need help Todd. I'm not too busy this week. :D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

251am

Quote from: Woofentino Pugrossi on June 12, 2007, 11:03:25 PM
Let me know if you need help Todd. I'm not too busy this week. :D

Sure, I'll be finishing it off in the driveway out back today, Wednesday the 13th.

Ducmarc

were the pads rusty? find that a lot from salt on the roads especally  motorhomes they get a couple of salt seasons on them and make it here to fla and the pads fall of marc

Woofentino Pugrossi

Key words of advise, make sure you have the RIGHT parts before you leave the dealer. Right Todd?:biggrin:

BTW What time are you starting back up on this friday?
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

251am

Quote from: Woofentino Pugrossi on June 13, 2007, 11:50:54 PM
Key words of advise, make sure you have the RIGHT parts before you leave the dealer. Right Todd?:biggrin:

BTW What time are you starting back up on this friday?

Cripes, yes, and make sure the guy helping you at the parts counter isn't the ONLY one in the ENTIRE shop who doesn't know a THING about ford trucks. Good thing it's only a mile away. Probably around 11 or 12.

Super rusty. Thing is I don't drive it that much in the winter-I run $500 beaters for the salty times. 

251am

Quote from: Ducmarc on June 13, 2007, 10:51:25 PM
were the pads rusty? find that a lot from salt on the roads especally  motorhomes they get a couple of salt seasons on them and make it here to fla and the pads fall of marc

Yeah, rotors were rusted beyond turning, but the real problem was the inboard pad on one side had seperated from it's backing. The pad itself then dropped down between the caliper bracket and rotor, and lodged there. Fresh Motorcraft rotors and re-built and "loaded" calipers transformed the whole machine. Thanks to Woof for the assist.    :thumb:

BTW- if you own a similar year F250 Super Duty, 1999 generation, the parts catalog at the dealership is wrong for calipers. You need (2) BRCL-64-RM calipers for the rear.