Repair engine block mating surface

Started by cgorham, June 07, 2007, 04:23:46 PM

cgorham

The ignition cover on my 2000 R6 will not stop leaking oil.  I took it to a shop to have them do a J-B type repair but that failed.  Does anyone have a very specific method to doing such a repair, or have you guys seen any sites that provide an in depth guide?  I'm really getting frustrated.

Court Jester

the best and only fixes would be to actually weld over the area.
at that point you would need a lazer to connect to several points and HAND SAND it down to perfect.

or

weld it and cnc machine the surface area.

sorry
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

loc_dogg

How is it damaged? My clutch cover side was crashed and had to be re-welded causing an uneven surface. I rebuilt the motor and resurfaced that side on a surface plate sand paper and WD-40. This was without the crank in obviously so it was a bit easier to get a better finish. Another option is to get a wet stone long enough to cover the surface end to end and try to resurface it.  I used 600 grit paper. DO NOT ATTEMP TO FILE! If you use a file on the soft aluminium it will gaul the hell out of it and ruin the surface further.