Brake Fade for 06-07 GSXR's 600/750

Started by howlieboy, May 30, 2007, 12:38:03 AM

howlieboy

I get horrible brake fade on the second or third lap of a race.  There are three of us that race 06 GSXR's that have the same issue.  I have Galfer braided lines, stock m/c and calipers, Vesrah RJL's and run silkolene PRORACE 2000 that I change after every race weekend.  I've bled the heck out of the brakes and there is no air in the lines.

I set the lever all the way out and by the end of the race, it's pretty close to the bar.  Once it fades, it's consistent, but I'm just waiting for it to go all the way back in turn 1 at RA.....

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks,
Kurt.
Kurt
www.d2cycles.com
www.caferacerinc.com

Super Dave

I think it's a common problem that seems to happen to the Suzuki/Nissin system.  I think that the problem varies from a problem with the material the caliper pistons are made of to the master cylinder. 

Kurt, if you have access to a Yamaha/Brembo mastercylinder, swap that out.  It might help.
Super Dave

tstruyk

I think speedballer found a fluid that works well for the Gix... maybe PM him.  He also threw a brembo on his, stops on a dime, no fade.

But really for Great Plains races I would just leave it as is!   :ass:   :biggrin:

Tim
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

Sobottka

on my 04 it was a matter of finding the right fluid, i think i used motul but the castrol srf stuff is supposed to be the sh*t (if you can afford it).  dave's right, the master cylinder is the culprit
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

tzracer

Quote from: sobottka on May 30, 2007, 11:20:28 AM
on my 04 it was a matter of finding the right fluid, i think i used motul but the castrol srf stuff is supposed to be the sh*t (if you can afford it). 

I use the SRF. Great stuff. Brakes are very important, how much is too much? One bottle will last a season. Don't have to change the stuff every weekend.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

howlieboy

Thanks fella's, I'll try the the SRF stuff first, then go from there.  I almost spent the $250.00 on a brembo m/c, but I'm glad I checked first.  If that doesn't work, I'm pretty sure we have a Yamaha m/c laying around...

Tim, my ultimate goal is to be like Doug polen and just not brake at all.  I've also been riding in the dirt a lot, so I might just back it into every corner.  I don't recommend trying to pass on the outside!!

See you guys at Hastings or Gateway!!
Kurt
www.d2cycles.com
www.caferacerinc.com

howlieboy

Yeah... the SRF is $80.00 a pint.... No doubt well worth it, but I don't think it will solve my problem.  If it was 30-40, I was going to see if it made a difference.  I don't think it's a boiling issue or water, since I'm a freak about how often I change the fluid and it happens so quickly in the race..  Once I get the problem figured out though, I'm going with the good stuff!!
Kurt
www.d2cycles.com
www.caferacerinc.com

yetidave

I ride an '07 750 and I'm having the same problems. The Brembo is going on now, and we're putting the Castrol supermegafluid in as well. I hope it works. I went through 4 this weekend at Summit with a nice lead, I stood it up to set up for five, grabbed the brakes and the lever came right back to the bars. I tried to run it off into the grass/mud but I hit a rut and down we went.

Ducmarc

you'll de happy with the brembo check around make sure you get the right ratio (I think theres 3 or 4 ) you can always call fred at yoyodyne . don't know why jap's don't have a suitable one must be a patient issue.don't even get a radial one on a new ducati.  marc

howlieboy

Yetidave.... Let me know if the brembo m/c and the CRF fluid works...
Kurt
www.d2cycles.com
www.caferacerinc.com

yetidave

Quote from: howlieboy on May 31, 2007, 09:11:36 PM

Will do. I'll check in after Roebling next weekend.

Spooner

I think if you went more 'full stick' you wouldn't be having any problems.. :)
CCS Expert #172
'04 R6

yetidave

Quote from: Spooner on June 01, 2007, 01:45:45 PM
I think if you went more 'full stick' you wouldn't be having any problems.. :)

LOL, yeah I know, I'm working on it. I watched Jenson at Summit this past weekend. Dude may as well not have brakes on his bike.

Spooner

Actually I was giving crap to Kurt.  We did a track walk with Doug Polen and he kept repeating 'full stick' over and over.  Dude was cracking us up big time.  I dont' believe he needs brakes on his bike either...
CCS Expert #172
'04 R6

tzracer

Quote from: howlieboy on May 30, 2007, 11:20:05 PM
Yeah... the SRF is $80.00 a pint.... No doubt well worth it, but I don't think it will solve my problem.  If it was 30-40, I was going to see if it made a difference.

SRF comes in liter bottles, which is larger than 2 pints, do it is about $40 per pint.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Blackbeener

I'll have to check on the fluid I'm using I don't know off the top of my head I wanna say it's silkolene, but I have a 06 & 07 GSXR 600 wit no brake fade problems whatsoever. I use EBC pads, Goodridge Kevlar lines, and have had no problems with either bike fading. I am however an amatuer so maybe I'm not as hard of a braker on my stuff as some of you guys, but my buddy is expert finishing top5 in Fl region and has same set up with no issues either? Just my .02
R.I.P. RICHARD BRITTON

yetidave

Quote from: howlieboy on May 31, 2007, 09:11:36 PM

Ok, I had the chance to test the new setup at Roebling and it rocks. Granted, I'm pretty sure you could just take the brakes off your bike at that track to save weight. In fact, a friend of mine lost his brake lever on lap one of a race and still managed a third place finish.
But I digress, the brakes rock. I played with them a bunch during practice to test them and they were outstanding. Zero fade, zero air in the lines at the end of the day. I'm beyond happy. I can't wait to try them out in turn one at VIR in a couple of weeks.