banquit

Started by the_weggie_man, February 09, 2003, 12:09:14 AM

G 97

QuoteIn the spirit of Jack and Alexia's comments, CCS will gladly turn over to the racers the planning of the 2003 Awards Ceremony. For those who are interested, the parameters are:

1. Pick a date that everyone can make, stay off traditional dates such as the Super Bowl or the Daytona 500. (You want no excuses for riders to not attend your shindig.)

2. Make the location convenient to ALL racers in the region(s). Racers who competed regularly in the Mid-west, Great Plains and Great Lakes regions came from Minnesota, Iowa ,Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, North Dakota and Wisconsin.

3. The hotel/restaurant has to be flexible, crowd will be from 50 to 300 people, we won't know until the night of the dinner. (We had 108 pre-enter, 92 show up "unannounced" this year, 120 pre enter and 60 show up "unannounced" in 2002  and 150 pre-enter with 35 or so "unannounced" in 2001.)

4. Obtain a total price, including taxes, tips, set-up fees, room charge, bartenders, cash bar, public address system and any clean-up fees there may be. If it is a sit-down dinner or dinner buffet, you need to satisfy those who eat only meat and potatoes, vegetarians, and those who only eat "healthy" like chicken or fish. Must be under $35 per person total and include non-alcoholic beverages.

For an appetizer / finger food buffet, you must come up with a small variety of foods that will be acceptable to a very wide variety of people fro vegetarians to the meat lovers. Cost must be $15 or less and include non-alcoholic beverages

5. Negotiate a good room deal. No complimentary rooms for every 10-20, you want to get the discount spread over every room so it benefits everyone, not just a few.

6. Find an Emcee that won't offend the attendees. Pay scale is free dinner, must have prior experience and be acceptable to both CCS and racers.

Please e-mail me at kevinelliott@clearchannel.com with your intention to arrange next years Awards Ceremony, and I will choose a representative in each region to plan the 2004 event.

Are you serious?  One thing that I have learned in business is to take responsibility for what your position is.  Regardless of who made what decision, who looked at the facilities prior to the event, etc.  The ultimate responsibility in all of this lies ultimately with one person.   Taking the attitude of  " If you think you can do it any better, you do it" is unacceptable.  In my opinion this only illustrates and encapsulates a continued lack of management skill that is required to effectively and efficiently run this area of CCS.  It all starts at the top.  Part of being in this position is stepping up and taking responsibility regardless of what transpires.   Simple attention to detail goes along way.  I have several other specific and personal examples that I could share.  
G

the_weggie_man

Chris, I'm not trying to burn anyone at the stake. I spoke my mind on the subject and people are free to agree or disagree. It makes the world go 'round. ;D

I was embarrassed in front of people I brought into this organization and that p*ssed me off. So those are personal feelings that get a person a bit more fired up than your average race organization screw up. I'm so very glad I wasn't a racer that brought a sponsor.

I probably agree we are not directing our disappointment to the proper people. CCE doesn't give CCS the proper staff to do the job. They obviously don't understand the requirements, but is it our job to convince them of that?

The only way they would understand that is through their bank account.  You know as well as I do that is not going to happen because the average racer will just go racing.

Yeah, I can understand how Tiffiney may have felt Saturday night. Another point, why is CCE letting someone with little to no experience do these things? It certainly isn't to improve their image. They have people in the company that do this stuff as a profession, every day, but they won't let CCS use those resources. Why?

I won't even comment on the offer to turn over the banquet to someone else.  ::)

GSXR RACER MIKE

Previously there were suggestions of using Rockford Il. as a location for the MW / GL / GP regions banquet due to it's location and convience. As I mentioned before, I live in Rockford and would be willing to help find an appropriate location here if this is where the racers would like to have it. I personally don't have any past experience with this type of thing (and can only imagine all that is involved with planning such a banquet), but I could help in finding locations suitable and give that information to an event planner who could work their magic with negotiating prices and scheduling. I do agree that the M/C show weekend is a good choice of a date for obvious reasons (and the show is located only 45 minutes or so from Rockford).
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Super Dave

I hope I'm able to tack on one little thing on here...

I think the important thing that I do always look forward to is seeing everyone.  I did get that a bit, and I can' complain.  I even had the opportunity to talk with the man, Kevin Elliott, even though it was only for a few moments.  

I'm sure that EVERYONE is unhappy with it all.  Kevin and Tiffany included.  And like he said, there does come that point when there is nothing one can do.  You've got to make the best of it regardless...  Kind of like racing at Blackhawk when it snows...

Anyway, yes, if we can plan the gig for the end of 2003 and make it better.  It will definitely take some pressure off Kevin and Tiffany.  Agreed?
Super Dave

fourandsix

The problem here is not CCS it is CCE. The large corp CCE is just milking CCS for all it is worth. CCS makes money that is why they combined events with FUSA as FUSA made no money. CCE brags how they are the #1 provider of concerts and events but spends no money promoting FUSA races. It is obvious why FUSA fell apart. The problem with the banquet is just another example of their incompetence. The CCE office is local , i am sure the have had corporate events at hotels and facilities throughout this area over the years so they know what facilities are available.You are the customers of CCS if you keep making excuses for them please don't complain when they dump on you over and over. There are other choices out there for your money spend it where you get a return. Gordy has been around a long time also he was there for the good and bad days of CCS, he has done a great deal for the sport and i have to agree with a lot of what he said. Gman was also correct , if you want to be in charge of something be accountable and take your lumps. is it ok to screw up and then tell people to sit down and shut up when it's your fault i think not.  K3 it's a shame you looked forward to a exciting night and it wasn't what you expected , you still had fun because you made the best of it , good for you! Someone should start a campaign to tell CCS and CCE how you would like to be treated as customers.

Chef

QuoteJack and Alexa, there is a group that is a go between from racer to CCS. They are the regional race director and staff. They should be getting information, complaints or compliments to CCS and solving your problems during the year. Nobody should have to go beyond them to get things handled. I doubt seriously that CCS would recognize an outside group of racers.  

KC 124, no, I got on here and blasted away before I sent anything to Kevin. Notice the time on my post, 3:09 a.m., I sent it after I drove home from the banquet. Then I sent a message to Kevin and we are playing email tag right now.I did not send anything seperately to Tiffanny because I'm quite sure Kevin will share.

Why am I so disappointed with the banquet some of you may ask. Because I think the racers, workers staff and everyone else involved with this sport deserves a better effort than what was presented. And think of this.  Clear Channel prides itself in being one of, if not the largest entertainment promoter in the world and we have to put up with stuff like Saturday night. Let me ask you, WHY?

CCS probably has the smallest budget of any of their organizations, why? Because we don't make enough money for them? No, we don't pack the stands with thousands of people like the monster trucks, supercross or concerts they promote, does that mean we should not get a decent banquet to honor the guys that spend their hard earned money to race with CCS?

Yeah, we can have a good time getting together anywhere. Does that mean we have to settle for less from CCS? If you guys don't demand better you won't get better. Why are some of you willing to accept mediocrity? This is your organization. It is made up of members that pay an annual membership fee (your license) as well as pay dearly all year long for the privilege (?) of racing with CCS.

If you guys are willing to accept what they are giving you then go ahead. I will sit back and remain silent. It's your organization, do with it what you will.  ;D

GORDY FOR PRESIDENT !!!!

Ike
40. Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but powerful beyond measure. We were all meant to shine, as children do. When our light shines, we liberate others.

unforgivenracing

QuoteThe problem here is not CCS it is CCE. The large corp CCE is just milking CCS for all it is worth. CCS makes money that is why they combined events with FUSA as FUSA made no money. CCE brags how they are the #1 provider of concerts and events but spends no money promoting FUSA races. It is obvious why FUSA fell apart. The problem with the banquet is just another example of their incompetence. The CCE office is local , i am sure the have had corporate events at hotels and facilities throughout this area over the years so they know what facilities are available.You are the customers of CCS if you keep making excuses for them please don't complain when they dump on you over and over. There are other choices out there for your money spend it where you get a return. Gordy has been around a long time also he was there for the good and bad days of CCS, he has done a great deal for the sport and i have to agree with a lot of what he said. Gman was also correct , if you want to be in charge of something be accountable and take your lumps. is it ok to screw up and then tell people to sit down and shut up when it's your fault i think not.  K3 it's a shame you looked forward to a exciting night and it wasn't what you expected , you still had fun because you made the best of it , good for you! Someone should start a campaign to tell CCS and CCE how you would like to be treated as customers.
Did'nt someone speak of feeding the pig earlier?  As far as making money, at this rate, That won't last for long.
As for seeing the gang, well why not just have them at a booth at the bike show handing out trophies when you show your race ID.  Would that be personal enough for them?  It would be less expensive for us.  plus you can leave the show with the felling that it was'nt a total waist of time. 
CCS Midwest EX 501(RETIRED) E-mails welcome @: unforgivenracing@hotmail.com or, IM and e-mail me @: unforgiven_racing@yahoo.com also,
Check out pic's @: http://www.facebook.com/wolff.shawn

chris_chops

QuoteIn the spirit of Jack and Alexia's comments, CCS will gladly turn over to the racers the planning of the 2003 Awards Ceremony. For those who are interested, the parameters are:

1. Pick a date that everyone can make, stay off traditional dates such as the Super Bowl or the Daytona 500. (You want no excuses for riders to not attend your shindig.)

2. Make the location convenient to ALL racers in the region(s). Racers who competed regularly in the Mid-west, Great Plains and Great Lakes regions came from Minnesota, Iowa ,Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, North Dakota and Wisconsin.

3. The hotel/restaurant has to be flexible, crowd will be from 50 to 300 people, we won't know until the night of the dinner. (We had 108 pre-enter, 92 show up "unannounced" this year, 120 pre enter and 60 show up "unannounced" in 2002  and 150 pre-enter with 35 or so "unannounced" in 2001.)

4. Obtain a total price, including taxes, tips, set-up fees, room charge, bartenders, cash bar, public address system and any clean-up fees there may be. If it is a sit-down dinner or dinner buffet, you need to satisfy those who eat only meat and potatoes, vegetarians, and those who only eat "healthy" like chicken or fish. Must be under $35 per person total and include non-alcoholic beverages.

For an appetizer / finger food buffet, you must come up with a small variety of foods that will be acceptable to a very wide variety of people fro vegetarians to the meat lovers. Cost must be $15 or less and include non-alcoholic beverages

5. Negotiate a good room deal. No complimentary rooms for every 10-20, you want to get the discount spread over every room so it benefits everyone, not just a few.

6. Find an Emcee that won't offend the attendees. Pay scale is free dinner, must have prior experience and be acceptable to both CCS and racers.

Please e-mail me at kevinelliott@clearchannel.com with your intention to arrange next years Awards Ceremony, and I will choose a representative in each region to plan the 2004 event.
Would we be so lucky as to be actively involved in our safety issues as well?

Matt

unforgivenracing

QuoteWould we be so lucky as to be actively involved in our safety issues as well?

Matt
Start a new topic on safety.
CCS Midwest EX 501(RETIRED) E-mails welcome @: unforgivenracing@hotmail.com or, IM and e-mail me @: unforgiven_racing@yahoo.com also,
Check out pic's @: http://www.facebook.com/wolff.shawn

TreyBone

Man, I''ve been following this thread all week now. Sounds like it was a cluster f*&k. I am looking forward to the banquet here in the Southeast and MidAtlantic. Ours will be held at beautiful VIR. (the same place as last year).  I remember a while back when Tiffany was asking for everyone's suggestions for a banquet. She got a lot of ideas from all of you. I thought having the banquet at VIR was a great idea because it is the same as a combined event weekend (SE and MA). Most of us racers will be there racing anyway, so why not go to the banquet as well :) Don't any of the tracks in the MW or GL regions have facilities to accomodate a banquet? I guess the tracks up there are closed this time of year because of the cold weather huh?   My .02

Dawn

QuoteI guess the tracks up there are closed this time of year because of the cold weather huh?   My .02

I was happy when I went out to start my truck this morning.  It was 3 degrees.   ::)

Dawn   :)