Nate Kern - crash @ Barber w/WERA - updated 05/09/07

Started by PJ721, May 08, 2007, 08:44:41 AM

PJ721

I passed on the info to Art Staples @ Summit this past weekend about Nate's crash @ Barber in the WERA endurance race...see the following link for an update on his condition.

currently he has had surgery on his knee to clean out and repair an huge chunk that was ripped out
from the ARMCO - concussion - broken rib - and broken wrist (that he still needs to go in for surgury and have pins put in)

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=344981&perpage=20&pagenumber=3

Get well soon Nate....
Paul Castiglia
CCS - #524 - SV650

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Laugh uncontrollably...
And never regret anything that made you smile....

Super Dave

Super Dave

Jeff

When the time comes, let us know if you need any help.

-RFF Team-
www.redflagfund.org
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

chaplain220

Nate, we heard about ya while we were racing at Summit Pt, and a group of us been prayin for ya at the chapel service and still are.  Time for some readin, and I dont just mean Roadracing World.  Don't mess with the nurses too much and enjoy the percoset while ya got it, prayin for ya bro, Art.

Team_Serpent

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery Nate.

Jason and Jim Temme
Serpent Racing

PJ721

Nate went in this morning for surgery to repair his wrist...
Paul Castiglia
CCS - #524 - SV650

Ducmarc

really sorry to hear about nate get well soon make sure you bm every day don't get plugged up like i did

Hollywood

hope you feel better soon, bud. Hopefully we won't have to miss you at VIR this year.........

get better soon.
ASRA/CCS EX#20  
www.rpmmotorsportsracing.com

badmonkey

Do you want to touch my Monkey?

APP_Racing

A Dean
APP Racing LLC
St. Louis, MO
314-757-0364

Donate today!
www.redflagfund.org/

L8brake731

Wishing you SPEEDY RECOVERY!!!!

Sorry to hear about this....
S. Fukiage
CCS/ASRA  #731

EL ZEE

Hope you heal up quick brother. Let me know where to bring the chili. :thumb:

rwracer

prayers and best wishes for a speedy recovery N8!

:thumb:

Rick Beggs

D@@mn Nate, rough weekend, sorry to hear it, hope you get better fast, anything you need, let us know
Rachel Sasse and Rick Beggs
RICK BEGGS
RnRCycles VPLubricants TuckerPowerSports FullSpectrumPower MotoLiberty RSTaichi AraiHelmet EBCBrakes EvansCoolant EVS DIDChains MaacoSterling ArmourBodies LextekMotorcycle WoolichRacing Woodcraft JTSprockets ZeroGravityRacing PitBull Lapking ChickenHawk PodiumMotorsportsPirelli

gixxerzoli

Hey N8!
I wish you a speedy recovery!
If you need some help, let me know!

HAWK

Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

PJ721

Nate was released from the hospital this afternoon   :thumb:
Paul Castiglia
CCS - #524 - SV650

PJ

That's gr8t news. Heal fast N8!

See you at Road America in July.

You too, PJ721.

Signed...

The other PJ.
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

Mongo

Umm, just to correct one pretty major thing.  Nate didn't hit any armco, he hit the ground and was for a time tangled with his bike but he wasn't close to a barrier.

Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing
www.wera.com

PJ721

spoke with Nate again this evening...and to confirm what Mongo has posted - N8 didn't hit the armco...
that info came through 2 or 3 people before it got to me @ Summit last weekend - right after the crash.

My apoogies to N8, Mongo & WERA for posting something that wasn't 100% accurate.

N8 has posted to the pelican parts thread and there is also an e:mail from someone that saw the crash happen...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=037738ad06fb0e0e88682b814a6c069f&threadid=344981&perpage=20&pagenumber=5

Peace - Out

Paul Castiglia
CCS - #524 - SV650

Mongo

Yeah, the rumor mill was working overtime for a while, it was a nasty crash without any help :)

Sean P. Clarke
www.wera.com

Gixxerblade

Was it a mechanical that caused the crash to N8? If so that sucks. I would like to see N8 on a more reliable bike one of these days. I guess the Beemers weren't designed to have the piss rode out of them that hard. Anyone remember N8 blowing his Beemer up at VIR last year and hi-siding to the moon? He was about 10 feet in front of me when it happened and that was caused by a mechanical issue as well (something about the piston or conrod coming out the top and busting a hole about the size of a baseball there :eek:) Anyways heal up quick N8! Youa re fun to race against and watch race!

dietDrThunder

Ya, a rider who was behind him when it happened told me that he hit the barrier...musta not gotten a good enough look at it on the way by or whatever. I'm glad he didnt' hit it...that would suck.

251am

Quote from: Gixxerblade on May 10, 2007, 09:22:37 PM
Was it a mechanical that caused the crash to N8? If so that sucks. I would like to see N8 on a more reliable bike one of these days. I guess the Beemers weren't designed to have the piss rode out of them that hard

From what I gleened outta the other postings, elsewhere, they were screwing around with tire pressures right before going out onto the track right after pulling the warmers. Something about finding 18 lbs in the rear and 20 in the front or vice versa, and then the ensuing rush to get some air in them,     blah blah blah...

After 2 weekends of thrashing my beemer I knew she wasn't meant to be out there. Gearbox and rear ends are not for chasing SVs.     :banghead:

PJ721

as far as I know..wasn't a mechanical...bike went into a violent tank slapper that he just about rode out but the bike spit him off...

and I wouldn't say the Beemer can't be raced hard...thing just did 24 hrs of LeMans...and has won 2 of 4 Moto-ST events (starting with the 8 hrs of Daytona in October) and Nate has put the #1 plate on it for back to back years...
Paul Castiglia
CCS - #524 - SV650

Gixxerblade

Yeah but it seems like it needs more love and attention than other bikes seeing as its a shaft drive opposing piston motorcycle. I am not saying anything bad about the bike or N8! (he is a great racer) its just that I was wondering if it was something else that caused N8! to crash.

Mongo

From the CW reports and what I saw of the crash it looked like he was pushing too hard on lap 3, bike stepped out and when it came back he got into a tankslapper that put him in the grass and then down all within a very short distance.

Sean P. Clarke
www.wera.com

Court Jester

That really sucks to hear.
Part of the game i guess. but it really sucks to hear he got so tore up.
best wishes for sure.
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

PJ721

yea a nature of the beast...we race....and we all know at some point something could go wrong. Just hope it's never serious...but it's a relief to know that our race family supports one another when it does go bad. 

Nate is very lucky...he has good support behind him from his crew and BMW, his family and friends - along with fellow racers @ CCS, WERA & Moto-ST

From talking to him last night and reading his blog
http://www.nate-kern.blogspot.com/
he is looking at getting back on the bike for a "shakedown" @ Roebling and back to full form @ VIR in June. Time will tell...but knowing him....I wouldn't bet against it  :thumb:

Paul Castiglia
CCS - #524 - SV650

Ducmarc

looks like that beemer has been super reliable for Nate he rides it to the limit on every lap the beemers had the last daytona under control until the exhaust fell off and i think it had an electrial problem is that right Paul ?

PJ721

yup

pretty sure that was what took them out of Daytona.

Paul Castiglia
CCS - #524 - SV650

apriliaman

heal up quick N8! and see you at VIR winning again!!!!
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006