News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

applying for new CCS license

Started by ecumike, October 04, 2001, 10:07:13 AM

ecumike

I've applied for the CCS license, but heard that you don't really get a 'real license' at first... you get some kinda 'trial' license, and run a few races before you get your 'real' CCS racer license?

Anyone know about this, how it works, or if it's true?

Eric Kelcher

You get a paper reciept at the track then a hard plastic one is mailed to you. Kinda like DLs used to be you get it in about 3-4 weeks generally.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

TightSqueeze

You are given a "Provincial" status.  This means that you must complete two weekends while wearing a t-shirt.

If all goes well, then the third weekend you will be considered a true "Amateur".  From there, you do not HAVE to wear your t-shirt.

You will receive your actual license in the mail a couple of weeks following the schooling event.

ecumike

OK so that really all it is.... just wear the virgin orange shirt for 2 weekends, then you get your 'real'  amateur license... anything like... you can't come in last place for those 2 weekends?... and anything about the # of races you have to do in those weekends?

Thanks for the info so far!

And hey, Shawn (admin)   what's with the small fonts?  is there a way to make them bigger? I tried the icons, bt they didn't work

Admin

QuoteOK so that really all it is.... just wear the virgin orange shirt for 2 weekends, then you get your 'real'  amateur license... anything like... you can't come in last place for those 2 weekends?... and anything about the # of races you have to do in those weekends?

And hey, Shawn (admin)   what's with the small fonts?  is there a way to make them bigger? I tried the icons, bt they didn't work

I loved my green shirt.  It was my, "watch out for me, I don't have a clue" warning to others :).

As far as the small fonts go...I could make them bigger.  Anyone else think the fonts are too small?

Shawn

TightSqueeze

IMHO, I'd prefer that you come in last, as it means that you're not pushing too hard, and maybe getting in over your head.  It's harder to wreck when your apprehensive and trying to learn.

As far as # of races, I don't know of a limit.  Check the rulebook.  If you're only going to do one, make it the GT, as it's the most laps per buck.

The fonts are too small.  go to 10 and see what happens.  Also, do something to make the pictures on the left be not so squeezed. It's a tight squeeze over there. 8)

QuoteOK so that really all it is.... just wear the virgin orange shirt for 2 weekends, then you get your 'real'  amateur license... anything like... you can't come in last place for those 2 weekends?... and anything about the # of races you have to do in those weekends?

ecumike

OH yea, I'm not really worried about coming in last.. I've timed some of the racers in the classes I'd run in, and during my last track day, I had times faster than than the slowest few riders in the race(on VIR N.)  and I'll be riding again Sat. at VIR (hopefully no rain)

It's just that my buddy said that you had to do 2 race weekends in a row, and something like you couldn't come in last... like you can't just chill in the race just to get your amateur license.

TightSqueeze

I used to race with a guy that would dice through cars on the most crowded street in DC.  But when he got to the track, he couldn't transfer that energy.  He was a total rolling hazard.  But, back on the street, he still rides like a manic.

Don't walk in too confident, but don't be too nervous either.

Somebody's got to come in last, but there will never be a penalty for it.

fzr400tony

QuoteI used to race with a guy that would dice through cars on the most crowded street in DC.  But when he got to the track, he couldn't transfer that energy.  He was a total rolling hazard.  But, back on the street, he still rides like a manic.

Don't walk in too confident, but don't be too nervous either.

Somebody's got to come in last, but there will never be a penalty for it.

i finished last in my first race.  but i still had a better day than the guy on the r6 who was battling for the win in our rookie race.  

RickyRacer

QuoteYou are given a "Provincial" status.  This means that you must complete two weekends while wearing a t-shirt.

TightSqueeze

What shirt? I thought that was for student racers. I have seen riders take the school and then they get a red shirt for their first race that day.

No one said anything to me during my first race. I just wore my regular leathers. And I did not do my first two weekends in a roll. I skipped a month.  
"HEY!, quit being a hog and pass the racepipe"
SpringsRacing
DUCATI MIAMI

TightSqueeze

Ok.  After scouring the Licence Entry forms, Rulebook, and other files,  I could not find where it is 'required' that a new rider wear their race school t-shirt for the first two weekends.

Unless someone can point out the exact page, then it has to be considered one of those 'safe practices', but it's not a requirement.  ???

ecumike

Cool, thanks for the feedback everyone.

Yea, instead of wearing a t-shirt, maybe I should just tape a target on the back of my leathers.

Eric Kelcher

The two weekend thing is a WERA thing not CCS.

In the south Central, CMRA, as we had been a WERA affliate before I believe we are the only CCS club that has the two race weekend Provisional Amatuer. Not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things but we run a PA race, gives a chance for new racers to go out with riders of similar skill and feel more comfortable for the first weekends. It is not a required race.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

Admin

I bumped the fonts up.  Let me know what you think.

Shawn

TightSqueeze

sportbikepete

I must say, I'm totally confused. I thought prepping the bike was gong to be the hard thing. It looks like figuring out how to actually get the license is harder.

RickyRacer

It's no big deal. Just take a track school, get your cert, send in your $100 for the year and they give you a CCS# and a license # and that's it. Go racing.
"HEY!, quit being a hog and pass the racepipe"
SpringsRacing
DUCATI MIAMI

TightSqueeze

Just be smart and wear your t-shirt for the first two weekends.  ;D

It really is important, becuase you don't have a clue what you're doing out there, and you need to give everyone else around you a huge warning.

Admin

I didn't have any problems getting my license.  I took a course with Frank Kinsey at Roebling road, got my certificate, then went to the race.  I signed up by showing my certificate, raced that weekend (with my shirt!), and got my license a couple weeks earlier.  Almost too easy :)

Shawn

LonnieM

QuoteTightSqueeze

What shirt? I thought that was for student racers. I have seen riders take the school and then they get a red shirt for their first race that day.

No one said anything to me during my first race. I just wore my regular leathers. And I did not do my first two weekends in a roll. I skipped a month.  

Ditto, noone ever said anything to me either??

CCS

Like Steve said, wearing the shirt is a good idea for as many weekends as you want. I was a product of the West Coast "instant Expert" program, three races without a crash and you got white plates. (we used yellow tape on your back as the sign you were a newbie.)

I have seen every method for new racers, from long probations to "instant expert" and the one that works best is the new racer himself taking his time before getting into the middle something he or she can't handle.

Oh, and keeping Clark away from them helps too... ;D
Kevin Elliott
Director of Operations-CCS/ASRA
Fort Worth, TX
817-246-1127

yzfr1rider

Kevin,
That was great advice...seeing I will be attending the N.R.S. at Oak Hill in Feb. Only one question....
Who is Clark!

Eric
Dallas, Tx

Papa_Thiam

Steve Clark, a.k.a. Tight Squeeze Racing. You don't want to go anywhere near him, as he might take you down with him when (not if) he crashes.  ;D