Just got Xrays....My track/racing is done :(

Started by Speedballer347, April 19, 2007, 04:29:14 PM

Speedballer347

Got some bad news yesterday.

For the past couple years my right hand has been going numb by the end of a sprint-race or trackday session.  Harder I ride, the faster it goes numb.  It feels like my hand/fingers are detached from my brain, like my hand has MS, like I know what I want it to do, but it won't do it.
Feels exactly like when you sleep on it and it goes numb, but it does it when I am riding. Just lose control over what I want my hand to do.
I also have unbelievably sharp pain if I flex my wrist up-or-down with any force.

It has gotten so bad, that it is actually happening now when I try to write with pen/pencil....I can't hardly even write legibly.
Went and got X-rays yesterday, so I could get it squared up.  Said my wrist is bone-on-bone and swole up around the wrist, Dr said it was the wrist of an 80yr old man....said he had never seen anything like it on someone in their 30's.
I think my racing/track career is coming to an abrubt halt  :banghead:

I am soooo bumbed out!  :wah: :wah: :wah:
I was really hoping to race this year, but it sounds like my riding days are numbered.

If anyone has any medical type advice for me....any direction I might take....please let me know.... As of yesterday, I am desperate and depressed.

CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

Sig

Aren't there injections you can get to mimic the fluids that are normally in place so the bones slide better?

I think i remember reading about randy johnson getting those type injections in his knee.

Super Dave

Super Dave

bigdon

Speedballer ...sorry to hear that I was looking foward to having you at our events this summer.
My best advice is to go see Dr.Prieb in Belleville Ill.
Thats the Dr. that put my hand back together when I crashed my H-D in 1994.
He is the best hand surgeon in the area.

Don

HAWK

Like Dave said, go to a sports ortho. There are all kinds of ways to fix problems like that now.  The wrong ortho will tell you to quit, the right one will figure out how to get you back out there.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

catman

+1 Hawk & Dave on the sport specs! Wouldnt be too sure its not fixable- gotta do some legwork but my bet is anything is repairable with anywhere from minimum to excellent results- seems you have a valid insurance repair,or you are disabled-on a permanent basis- it seems worth the effort ,not just to be able to ride well enough,but to work and enjoy life too - Chin up - as you look around your opinion is likely to change! - DAYM - with a signature "speedballer" I'm bettin on ya :thumb:! BEST `o` Luck!!!john in nj~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Court Jester

I'm going to school to be a psychologist but had enough medical experience of my own to tell you that it could be a number of things. But keep in mind that I'm in no way a doctor, just offering a few things to throw at your dr. they tend to look for the simplest explanation and leave it at that.
What ever the problem is, it's a nerve issue. When the muscles flex or pressure is in the right spot, the nerves are stressed or pinched and that causes the numbness. Bone on bone wont do that unless a nerve or nerves are getting pinched between the bones. Which could be the case. If that is so then they could be rerouted. They could move them to the side or grind a grove into the bone that the nerves could sit on.
If it's bone to bone then they could put in a chunk of plastic to separate the bones which would hold the nerves up and out of the way.
It could also be a very severe case of carpotunel syndrome. A case that bad would wake you up in the middle of the night.
Like the others, I would suggest someone that specializes in sports medicine and therapy, but a "GOOD" chiropractor may be able help. I have knee problems from a bad break when I was 6 years old. A doctor told me I needed surgery but I didn't want it. I looked around and heard of a chiropractor that treated more than just backs. He nearly yanked my leg out of socket and ruptured my testicles in the process, but it's been great for 4 years and still going strong. Just make sure you take your x-rays with you and make sure he's good.
But there's a few things. I hope like hell it all works out for you. 
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

catman

Hey Mike- with that avatar you could be your own best client! :spank: :ass: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

251am

a. get a 2nd opinion.

b. sounds like simple carpal tunnel-start wearing a wrist brace off the track.

c. change your riding style by putting more weight on the pegs.

d. don't give up hope!    :thumb:

race712

don't know where you are, but.... 

http://www.unionmemorial.org/npt.cfm?id=1129

Highly rated and recommended just this week by several Dr's at Johns Hopkins when I made some inquiries about my own hand injury from CMP.  ie - "don't come here, go there"

Court Jester

Quote from: CATMAN on April 19, 2007, 11:28:34 PM
Hey Mike- with that avatar you could be your own best client! :spank: :ass: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
people go into for two reasons. to help others and them self. i'm thinking the later of the two.
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

K3 Chris Onwiler

Man, the bad news just never ends for you....  Chin up bro.  You've been through worse.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com