News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Pro Racing Privateer Winning or podium???

Started by grasshopper, April 11, 2007, 12:29:07 PM

grasshopper

I'm just curious, when was the last time a privateer rider in AMA pro racing actually won or podium finished a race. Pro racing here guys, against all the factory teams. What year was it? Who was it?

tstruyk

CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

Super Dave

My friend and mentor Dale Quarterley won the 1993 AMA Superbike race at Mid-Ohio.  In Supersport, Todd Harrington won the AMA 600 Supersport race at Road America, I believe.  1998?  Jim at http://www.4and6.com should know because he built the bike and worked with Todd from 1992 or so on.  Todd got like a third at Laguna later in the year? 

Recently, Robbie Jensen got fifth at Brainerd on his self built R6 at Brainerd in Supersport in 2003.  There's other things out there, but that's a decent list of some kind off the top of my head.
Super Dave

Eric Kelcher

Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

Super Dave

Are we considering M4 and Attack private teams now?  I'm struggling with that. 

I know Dale greased the trailer hitch and drove his truck and trailer away from Mid-Ohio after the win.  Kind of blurry anymore.
Super Dave

JBraun

Can you really call Barney and Eslick privateers though?
Certainly they're not factory riders, but they both ride for well funded teams, and I would guess they collect a small salary.
I realize that some riders invest their own money into the team to get a ride, but I don't think that's the case with either of those two.

The best privateer showings I can remember as of late were Rob Jensen and Chris Peris who I believe were both in the top five a few times in 2005.
ASRA/CCS MW #29
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
PIRELLI

JBraun

Quote from: Super Dave on April 11, 2007, 01:13:34 PM
I know Dale greased the trailer hitch and drove his truck and trailer away from Mid-Ohio after the win. 
That's what I'm talking about! :thumb:
ASRA/CCS MW #29
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
PIRELLI

Mongo

Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing
www.wera.com

Super Dave

Careful, I'll send Shane Clark to your place.

:spank:

I think that Barney and Eslick are paid by American Suzuki, but I can't say for sure.
Super Dave

Spooner

Yeah, I don't really call M4 'privateer'.  Still they aren't' on the same stuff as say Spies so its still impressive how well they do. 

Wasn't it Cory West leading Supersport at Daytona for a bit.  Looked like he crashed on a shagged out tire but I was freaking out seeing him run up front like that.  Still got top ten I believe..??

Wasn't Jensen torn down after getting a podium and they swapped his head or something crazy like that?  That dude is a freak of nature lol!  I would love to seem him run more AMA stuff.
CCS Expert #172
'04 R6

Super Dave

Quote from: Spooner on April 11, 2007, 02:30:43 PM
Wasn't Jensen torn down after getting a podium and they swapped his head or something crazy like that?  That dude is a freak of nature lol!  I would love to seem him run more AMA stuff.
Yup. 

Would be nice, but he looses money.  More profitable to follow contingency money.
Super Dave

grasshopper

What Privateer guy (s) has the best chance of getting a podium finsish this year AMA road racing?

Super Dave

Well, what are you defining as privateer?  Which class?
Super Dave

JBraun

Quote from: Super Dave on April 11, 2007, 02:41:52 PM
Yup. 

Would be nice, but he looses money.  More profitable to follow contingency money.
Uh-oh. Don't get me started on this again... :biggrin:

Really though, wouldn't it be great if the "premier" racing series in the US included all the best riders...
ASRA/CCS MW #29
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
PIRELLI

grasshopper

Quote from: Super Dave on April 11, 2007, 02:55:26 PM
Well, what are you defining as privateer?  Which class?

I just want to know what person with a lot of talent to root for who doesn't have near the resources as the factory guys, satalite teams or heavily funded so called privateer teams.

I don't know, what is the least expensive class to run in AMA road racing. More than likely it's 600ss rite?

Super Dave

Hard to say, Nick.

A 600's power can be harnessed, but it isn't cheap to keep one running. 

A 1000 can make enough power that it spins in sixth on the banking at Daytona...stock...

But can you afford tires?

Super Dave

Super Dave

Then, does it include all the fast guys?

Again, who knows...

The AMA is a show. 

If one could "cap" the cost of running in the AMA, kind of a buy a ride gig, what should it cost?  $40k, $60k, $80k?
Super Dave

grasshopper

LOL!!! Dave we aren't talking about me here. I'm asking who the underdog with talent is to root for. The dude with less money. You won't ever see me on a 1000 cc inline. They scare me.

Super Dave

LOL!  I know that...

You asked which class is the least expensive to run.  They are all expensive.  I think supersport will be harder this year with more factory based teams.  Superstock seems to have limited entries because it's going away. 
Super Dave

PaulV

I like Scotty Ryan and the Safety First guys....:)

Definitley worth rooting for and all around good guys!

Oh yeah, didn't our own Tommy Mason, of Mason Racin Michelin tires, podium or win an AMA Superbike race as a privateer???

Paul
Polar-Optics
MW Ex 79
See Better, Ride Safer!

grasshopper

Is that a fact? When was that way back in 1942?

Sorry Tommy, if you read this, you know I love you man. LOL!!!

Garywc

would Chas Davies count as a privateer?
I will bet he will be on the podium this year
CCS/ASRA #77
AMA #776
http://www.eastcoastsupertwins.com
Monmouth Cycles,Woodcraft, bel-ray,AXO

Scotty Ryan

Quote from: PaulV on April 11, 2007, 04:52:28 PM
I like Scotty Ryan and the Safety First guys....:)

Definitely worth rooting for and all around good guys!

Oh yeah, didn't our own Tommy Mason, of Mason Racin Michelin tires, podium or win an AMA Superbike race as a privateer???

Paul
Polar-Optics
MW Ex 79

Thanks Paul - I really appreciate that!!!!  As far as Tommy goes - I'm not sure what his best finish was in an AMA race - But I do remember hearing from Tommy himself, that he was in the top ten - I just don't remember where.... Tommy still goes really well on any kind of bike that he hops on..... So here's to Tommy - The best tire guy in the paddock - bar none!!!!!
"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??

loc_dogg

Mark Ledesma & Scott Jenson are good finishers. Mark was the first Honda rider to finish over Honda factory teams at one event that I know of.  RRSW HW class riders

Bigsexy

I thought Tommy put a bike on the pole at BIR back in the early 90's.
as for who to cheer for this year id say all of the MW guys could use a nice big fan club, i know of a few guys running
Scotty Ryan
Rob Oliva
Mark Shnettler
Matt Hall
Brian Hall
so ill be cheering for these guys. good luck to all. sorry if i missed you im sure there are more
Rob

Mongo

Last true one was probably Chuck Chouinard at Loudon, however there were extenuating circumstances like rain and none of the factory riders running.

Sean P. Clarke
www.wera.com

khanson

Superstock probably has the best chance because nobody is in it this year.

Supersport has 18 factory or factory supported riders team riders in it this year....

FX has 12 factory or factory supported team riders in it this year....
Kevin Hanson<br /><br />www.SafetyFirstRacing.com<br />Safety First Racing<br />847.357.1309

Scotty Ryan

Super Dave, Meghan, Mike Riebe and myself are on our way to Topeka - and Dave thinks that it was 85'when Tommy put himself on pole at BIR. But something happened with the weather and they couldn't run the races. Just thought I would mention.

scottg22

2001 Chuck Chouinard finished 3rd in 750 Supersport at Loudon, then was disqualified because his valves were cleaned using a scotchbrite pad during a rebuild.

I won 600 Supersport that year at Loudon after the factory riders boycotted the race because the AMA wouldnt allow the riders a practice session before the race began... so the factory riders sat out the event.

Other so called Privateers have been on the podium in AMA since - including Eslick, May, Barnes, Attard and others... but I have a hard time calling them privateers with their salaries and semi's.

Scott Greenwood

catman

I will be routin for the youngest grenade launcher I saw go(fast foward)  at Daytona this year- a thrilling ride for scotty 727- catman predicts BIG FUTURE!

Mongo

Damnit, went with the wrong fast guy at Loudon - sorry Scott!  Your win is what I was thinking of and I agree on the privateer thing. 

Sean P. Clarke
www.wera.com

Court Jester

I'll be rooting for Brian Hall. I have his bikes from last year and went up to speedtech this weekend to drop off my old beat down R1, and saw his 07's. They are cool. And anyone that can go out on their *own* bike and finish 14th in their very first AMA race is sure to make leaps and bounds with time. I wish them all the best, but that's my pick.
I'll be watching this year with a lot of interest.  
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

racerhall

thanks Mike but that wasnt my first time, only my first ama race last year that i finished
this year will be better, missed you at nesba over the weekend at blackhawk
Midwest ccs #69
asra #69
ama #66
www.schaumburgaudi.com

Court Jester

I thought that was your first one. either way, still a hell of a job for not having a full team.
I had too much running to get done and not a huge nesba fan. i'll be at topeka and then at black hawk may 5th.
CCS# 469

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

Scotty Ryan

Quote from: Court Jester on April 17, 2007, 10:46:52 AM
I thought that was your first one. either way, still a hell of a job for not having a full team.
I had too much running to get done and not a huge nesba fan. i'll be at topeka and then at black hawk may 5th.

May 5th - BHF has a car thingy going on - no bikes until the 7th.... Take a look at their website....

Super Dave

Super Dave

Court Jester

5th, 7th, 75th. hell. i'd be willing to hang out for the weekend. i'll be there either way
CCS# 469

catman

bettin on your not an accountant mike-but a guy with some great 2 wheeled jewelry !

stk0308

If we're going to call Barnes a privateer than Rapp winning the '07 200 tops the list as latest privateer.  Attack isn't a factory team, as I understand it.
Steven

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity