News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Pro Racing Privateer Winning or podium???

Started by grasshopper, April 11, 2007, 12:29:07 PM

grasshopper

I'm just curious, when was the last time a privateer rider in AMA pro racing actually won or podium finished a race. Pro racing here guys, against all the factory teams. What year was it? Who was it?

tstruyk

CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

Super Dave

My friend and mentor Dale Quarterley won the 1993 AMA Superbike race at Mid-Ohio.  In Supersport, Todd Harrington won the AMA 600 Supersport race at Road America, I believe.  1998?  Jim at http://www.4and6.com should know because he built the bike and worked with Todd from 1992 or so on.  Todd got like a third at Laguna later in the year? 

Recently, Robbie Jensen got fifth at Brainerd on his self built R6 at Brainerd in Supersport in 2003.  There's other things out there, but that's a decent list of some kind off the top of my head.
Super Dave

Eric Kelcher

Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

Super Dave

Are we considering M4 and Attack private teams now?  I'm struggling with that. 

I know Dale greased the trailer hitch and drove his truck and trailer away from Mid-Ohio after the win.  Kind of blurry anymore.
Super Dave

JBraun

Can you really call Barney and Eslick privateers though?
Certainly they're not factory riders, but they both ride for well funded teams, and I would guess they collect a small salary.
I realize that some riders invest their own money into the team to get a ride, but I don't think that's the case with either of those two.

The best privateer showings I can remember as of late were Rob Jensen and Chris Peris who I believe were both in the top five a few times in 2005.
ASRA/CCS MW #29
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
PIRELLI

JBraun

Quote from: Super Dave on April 11, 2007, 01:13:34 PM
I know Dale greased the trailer hitch and drove his truck and trailer away from Mid-Ohio after the win. 
That's what I'm talking about! :thumb:
ASRA/CCS MW #29
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
PIRELLI

Mongo

Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing
www.wera.com

Super Dave

Careful, I'll send Shane Clark to your place.

:spank:

I think that Barney and Eslick are paid by American Suzuki, but I can't say for sure.
Super Dave

Spooner

Yeah, I don't really call M4 'privateer'.  Still they aren't' on the same stuff as say Spies so its still impressive how well they do. 

Wasn't it Cory West leading Supersport at Daytona for a bit.  Looked like he crashed on a shagged out tire but I was freaking out seeing him run up front like that.  Still got top ten I believe..??

Wasn't Jensen torn down after getting a podium and they swapped his head or something crazy like that?  That dude is a freak of nature lol!  I would love to seem him run more AMA stuff.
CCS Expert #172
'04 R6

Super Dave

Quote from: Spooner on April 11, 2007, 02:30:43 PM
Wasn't Jensen torn down after getting a podium and they swapped his head or something crazy like that?  That dude is a freak of nature lol!  I would love to seem him run more AMA stuff.
Yup. 

Would be nice, but he looses money.  More profitable to follow contingency money.
Super Dave

grasshopper

What Privateer guy (s) has the best chance of getting a podium finsish this year AMA road racing?