News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

SV 650 tire size

Started by 2vornot2v, April 02, 2007, 05:06:04 PM

2vornot2v

Is there any advantage in runing a F3 wheel with an 180 rear on 2nd generation sv650?

thanks

Woofentino Pugrossi

Probably not. SV's dont make enough power to justify using a 180. F3's didnt even use 180's
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

2vornot2v

Quote from: Woofentino Pugrossi on April 02, 2007, 06:30:19 PM
Probably not. SV's dont make enough power to justify using a 180. F3's didnt even use 180's

Hey thanks

clutch

The F3 wheel is a little wider than the SV wheel, which makes the 160 spread out to where it is supposed to be.  And a 180 is about 6 ounces heavier than a 160

stickboy274

Just run the right sized slicks (120/165) and you'll be better of than using the big tire.
Stickboy Racing 803-413-0721
Bridgestone/Dunlop Tire Rep.
www.stickboyracing.com
FB: Stickboy Racing

Gixxerblade

Quote from: sv814 on April 02, 2007, 10:30:36 PM
The F3 wheel is a little wider than the SV wheel, which makes the 160 spread out to where it is supposed to be.  And a 180 is about 6 ounces heavier than a 160
Then how come 180's are more 'spensive than 160's?  :wtf:

clutch

Just tellin ya I weighed them for comparison

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quote from: Gixxerblade on April 03, 2007, 09:46:22 AM
Then how come 180's are more 'spensive than 160's?  :wtf:

Theres more rubber silly. :biggrin:

Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

catman

At what horsepower level on a SV would a 5.5 in wide   marvic with a 180michelin slick be appropriate?  :err: ::) 8)

eeky

I tried a 5.5 inch rear rim with a 180 Pirelli slick on my 75 hp (Dynojet) super sport bike a couple of years ago at Blackhawk. My lap times immediately dropped about a half second and the bike was way more comfortable to ride. The advantage of the 180 is it allows for a better drive off the apex.

The downside is the weight increase, and it's the worst kind of weight as it's unsprung. Depending on how bumpy the track surface is the 160 may be a better choice suspension wise. The steering was slightly slower but the change was so small it was irrelevant.

If you are not concerned about keeping the bike super sport legal I would recommend the 180, even at lower hp levels.  In my opinion any thing over 80 hp and the 180 rear is desirable. Anything over 90 hp and the 180 is mandatory.

I purchased a 100 hp SV super bike a number of years ago. The original owner was winning races with the 160 rear. The first time I raced the bike was at Daytona and I was in rear tire trouble after 1 lap. The difference was riding style, specifically apex off style. One of the first changes I made to that bike was going to the 180.

The answer to the question, like so many answers in this sport is it depends. I t depends on how you ride and where you ride.

Ed Key

benprobst

+1. I run a 180 on my superbike sv. last year it made 73 horsepower, this year a bit more  :biggrin:. I am lucky in that I have a lightweight wheel so I get back some of the unsprung weight penalty but the tire was great to have. When switching back and forth form my supersport bike to the superbike that was one of the single biggest differences, the rear tire (the bikes are waaaaay different so the fact the rear tire was one of the nicest thing is important). I have a bit of a dirtbike style so i stuff the thing into the corner on the front tire the stand it up on the rear tire and let it dig. The outright traction between the two tires wasnt huge, but like Ed said it made it much easier to get it on fat rubber post apex and after the tire started to go off or overheat in the case of the Pirellis I was MUCH more comfortbale sliding the rear tire around on the 180. Also, the majority of the sv people I know who run the 180 and know how to set up a bike lost NO direction changing ability, in fact most of them thought it entered/rolled into corners better and certainly finished them better. Is it necesary for under 85 hp, NO. but does it work well in basically all situations, YES.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

Super_KC124

Wow! That's alot of info from an amateur. :ass: