Which Oil Do You Use And Why?

Started by PolishPete, March 24, 2007, 04:59:02 PM

PolishPete

After a lot of research, it seems that there's a lot of different oils used by everybody, but I'm having a hard time finding why each person uses that oil.  Personal preference towards the company, better for bike, better performance, lasts longer...etc.  So, what oil do you, the racers use, and why? 

catman

Search  :boink: O-I-L- gotta believe theres  :blahblah:miles of chat in there,Pete-  :thumb:

Super Dave

Yup, oil is good.

I generally use Shell Rotella T, the synthetic.
Super Dave

SnacktimeKC

Silkolene 5w40 full syn...and they pay. -Snack

Gixxerblade

Quote from: Super Dave on March 25, 2007, 10:51:48 AM
Yup, oil is good.

I generally use Shell Rotella T, the synthetic.
:cheers:
Or Mobil 1

Sobottka

Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

251am

Amsoil 20/50 Racing Series as I've used it for about 7 years in street bikes and 4 years in race bikes. Never had an issue with BMWs, Hondas, KTMs, or Suzukis.

I even paper filter the drained oil from race bikes and re-use it in stuff like the wife's car, lawn mower, generator. Haven't had a failure yet.     

PolishPete

Thanks guys for the responses...but I'm most interested in WHY you use the oils you do.  WHY is your oil better than the next guys?

Quote from: CATMAN on March 25, 2007, 12:47:13 AM
Search  :boink: O-I-L- gotta believe theres  :blahblah:miles of chat in there,Pete-  :thumb:

Hey, CATMAN, I did search, and you are right, there is a lot of information on oil, but mostly I use this or I use that.  I would really like to learn the specifics on why someone chooses Mobil 1 over Amsoil, etc. 

benprobst

they are all really good. thats the only answer you need. any quality race oil or high end off the shelf synthetic is going to be MORE than good enough to keep your bike lubricated especially in race motors where they get fresh oil every or every other weekend.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

spyderchick

Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Super Dave

Why?  Here's why I do what I do...

Shell Rotella T is a diesel engine oil.  Diesel engine oils have to go through a lot of hammering because of the orifices and all they have to go through in the engine.  And they need to have non-foaming capabilities.  They don't have some of the characteristics of some of the "energy conserving" car oils which aren't the greatest for motorcycle applications.

Honestly, there are a lot of opportunities. 

Shell Rotella T is easy to get a hold of.  It's a common diesel oil used by fleets, etc.  So, it's available at most truck stops and at Walmart or Tractor Supply Company.  Price is pretty reasonable.  I use it in my bikes, the bus, and our cars.  I recycle it after using it as a lubricant into my diesel tank to get down the road.

Super Dave

Jason748

Quote from: Super Dave on March 25, 2007, 06:55:33 PM
I recycle it after using it as a lubricant into my diesel tank to get down the road.

Anything special about doing this?  I've heard about it but never really did any research on it, don't even know were to start.

Oh yea...to answer your question Pete, I use Honda HP4....cuz I get it cheap from my sponsor.
CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com