Safety Wire Help

Started by vale46, March 21, 2007, 09:37:51 PM

vale46

How do you safety wire bolts that have recessed heads Like axel pinch bolts and front axels that are the same way.
CCS #58
2008 Sponsors Burke Engineering, Lithium Motorsports, Monster Energy, Iowa City Motorsports, Vortex,  Leo Vince
Lockhart Phillips, Pirelli

Gixxerblade

Before you take the bolt out mark where you would like to drill then remove bolt and drill at an extreme angle. It works pretty well for those recessed brake pad bolts on a Gixxer.

Jeff

Some of them you don't have to or it's not common to drill them.

Caliper pad pin bolts are a great example.  They are recessed.  Most people simply use the torque value and/or locktite (as prescribed by the service manual).  If someone wants more assurance on a bolt like this, they tend to use some silicone over the end of it to know when/if it has moved.

A recessed axle...  Personally I would just wire the nut on it, not the large axle side.  The odds of the whole axle turning counter to wheel rotation is extremely slim and a risk I am comfortable with.  You may not be...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Super Dave

I've ran into some that I needed to wire, and what I've done is mark them with a pen where I'd think I'd like the hole to be.  Next, I take out the bolt and safely use a grinder to make a flat spot that I can use to drill into.  Usually keeps me from marring up the piece that the bolt is recessed into.
Super Dave

Jeff

I guess I don't understand that though Dave...

Let's use a pad pin for example.  The threaded portion is completely recessed and completely threaded.  That would be the place you'd want to safety wire.  How do you wire it when it is recessed?
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Super Dave

Ok, I need a pen and paper, but MJ's got my good pictures of my innate drawing ability...LOL!

So, I'll try to elaborate.

A pad pin is a great example.  If you were looking at the pin you'll have the threaded side and the face portion, where the allen key goes in.  You're just gonna put a flat spot on that 90 degree angle between them.  So, you'll have the flat face, an angle (whatever one will work for you) and then the thread side.  You just need enough flat area to make a spot that you could drill into and put that hole through and into the area where the allen key will go. 

if you took out a little bit of thread at the top there, it wouldn't matter so much.  Your holding power isn't going to be at the end of those threads near the face.  But you really don't need much of a flat to make that little hole.
Super Dave

Jeff

we'll have to talk at the track.  The hole isn't the problem.  It's how you're going to wire it that I can't resolve.
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

tzracer

For caliper pins, I drill through the caliper and the bolt (with the bolt installed). Then loop wire through the hole. I have also gone through both sides and used an R clip. Maybe tomorrow I will snap some pics and post them. I have doe this on the nissin calipers on TZs, very similar to others.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Jeff

okay, if you're going through the caliper with the bolt installed and then lining it up on reinstall, that makes sense...  I just didn't see any other way.
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest