To Mill Or Not to Mill?

Started by grim_racer, February 03, 2003, 06:16:56 PM

grim_racer

Is milling of the head allowed in supersport? I am not the smartest person in the world, so I can't really figure out what the rule book says is ok. Sorry again for yet one more newbie question???

mdr14

If it is not legal, a large portion of the grid would have to be disqualified
Matt Drucker
MD Racing
www.mdracingstp.com

mdr14

ANd actually you don't want to mill. What you want to do is grind your cylinder head. It produces a better finish, & provides a superior sealing surface.
Matt Drucker
MD Racing
www.mdracingstp.com

grim_racer

Just wondering. I am still trying to figure this all out before I jump into it.  Thanks

Super Dave

And you'll HAVE to reset the cam timing because the distance between the cams and the crank will change if you do any cutting of the cylinder deck, cases, or head.
Super Dave

chris_chops

QuoteANd actually you don't want to mill. What you want to do is grind your cylinder head. It produces a better finish, & provides a superior sealing surface.
Matt,
What are you using to grind the head with, the image in my head is grim.  I picture someone with a grinder.  I'm not be sarcastic, I'm actually curious.

Matt

mdr14

I of course don't do the heads in shop. Although i have a local proffesional that I subcontract with to do that type of precision machining.

I do know that there are several different types of machine that are used for grinding. The particular one that is used for my work, I do not know. I was just happy at the quality surface finish that was produced.

Here is a link to my website with some pictures of a finished surface.

http://www.mdracingstp.com/performance.htm

its about half way down the page
Matt Drucker
MD Racing
www.mdracingstp.com

chris_chops