News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Stock vs. stock for your bike.

Started by gkotlin, March 20, 2007, 11:22:10 AM

gkotlin

I wanted to run a ducati monster.  The monster does not have adjustable forks.  Is it possible to mount Ducati stock superbike forks on the bike and still run it in stock class.  It's a stock factory part, it's just not from the same model.

Greg K.
CCS MW Expert # 12
2000 SV 650 - 1989 FZR 400
Vinylsaurusrex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - STT

Eric Kelcher

No, you have to use the forks that came on that model.

Now you can replace the internals and switch out the fork caps to allow for external adjustment.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

gkotlin

Greg K.
CCS MW Expert # 12

PaulV

Greg,

take them over to Ed Kwaterski(sp?) at trackside eng.
very reasonable and can work wonders.

Paul
Polar-Optics
See Better, Ride Safer!

gkotlin

I have another similar question.  I'm looking at a GSXR 600 and the frame might be tweaked.  If I put the components on a 750 frame does this mean I can't run in the 600 class?  Or do they classify the bike by the motor?  (I don't know if the frames are physically compatible, but just wondering how they classify things like this.)

Thanks!

Greg
Greg K.
CCS MW Expert # 12

Super Dave

Eric will have to chime in, but it IS a GSXR750 frame, so no.  It's not a legal set up.  A GSXR600 motor in a GSXR750 frame would be legal in Middleweight Grand Prix, Unlimited Grand Prix, GTU, and GTO.

Depending upon the year of the GSXR frame, they have different swingarms and even front ends.
Super Dave

gkotlin

I hadn't looked into the physical fit of everything yet, but was curious about the legality of it all. 
Greg K.
CCS MW Expert # 12

Super Dave

If the bike is that good of a deal, you could have it straightened out.  I use http://www.4and6.com  We found that I straightened my bike out after a few crashes one year.
Super Dave

Ducmarc

our tech here in fl does not know if your monster came with adj or none adj forks but now that you told us competitors your in trouble now ha.  as far as the 600 better to untweak the stock frame the 750 is probably bent too