Electric brake contollers

Started by Eric Kelcher, February 03, 2003, 12:14:47 PM

Eric Kelcher

Well I did some research on these a year+ ago and had someone ask recently about them. I HAD to do more research as my last controller burned up on the way back form Daytona (drug trailer and shorted a wire there; not controllers fault)

Found basically 4 types of controllers
1. Timed controllers: these operate on a pre-set time and apply a preset amount of voltage.
Pro: hard to mess up settings
Con: applies same amount of braking for stop and go traffic as emergency stop
Tendency to be very jerky at slow speeds and lacking on brakes at high speed
Brands: only one I know of is the Draw Tite controllers Activator series Price $100-200
2. Brake effect controllers: These operate with a spring or pedulum that applies more braking as the braking increases.
Pro: the voltage increases as you stop harder
Con: Downhill applies to much uphill not enough (generally not a problem)
If you set too much braking then it becomes self increasing the trailer brakes so much that it swings pendulum and applies more brake.
Uneven road can cause surging of the brakes.
Brands Kelsey $100-150
3. brake pedal movement controller
This type applies brakes based on how far you move the brake pedal
Pro: very linear braking based on pedal input
Con: moving parts that wear out and Manf recomends disconnecting when not pulling trailer.
Most be installed directly above brake pedal possibly interfence with steering colum
Cannot view under steering wheel
Brand: Prodigy Ultima $250-350
4.Brake pressure controller
These were outlawed a few years back due to brake fluid displacement. New model uses a micro switch in a T of brake line so no Brake fluid displacement. The micro switch tells computer how much brake pressure you are applying to determine how much voltage to apply.
Pro: Best most consistent braking over all terrian, trailer types, of any model I have seen Like old Kelsey Hayes Hydralic over electric systems
Con: $$$
must connect into brake lines with a T fitting
Brand: Brake Smart $300+ (install kit varies per vehicle)

Got to thinking this is better thread than general for this
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

wpasicznyk

There's another controller that is powered by the electrical signal of appling the brake pedal and has accellerometer inside it to determine braking effort.  There is an adjustment on the side to adjust how heavy the trailer brakes are applied.  There is also a "hard" and "soft" adjustment to adjust the brake levels for "emergency" and "stop and go" traffic.  In addition there is a manual switch to allow you to apply the brakes to the trailer only.  This is good on the highway in windy conditions to allow you to straighten out the rig.  These work great, I don't recall the manufacterer but check with your local trailer shop.  I believe we paid something like $169 for the piece.  If you want to the know the brand, e-mail me at wpasicznyk@crest-ultrasonics.com and I'll find out and post it here.  I added it to my F-150 but don't recall the brand and a friend has been borrowing it for the last couple months.

Super Dave

I've got the inexpensive DrawTite controller.  Simple and reliable.  And we sell them and install them at work...so, that's my input there.

I know we sell them for less than $100.
Super Dave

the_weggie_man

Dave,  I have a Hayes Lemmerz Energize III unit I'm thinking of putting in my van. It modulates and controls battery current to the trailer brakes.  The lit. says it monitors and measures tow vehicle deceleration and provides proportional trailer braking..... I'm not familiar with these things at all, a friend of mine gave me this unit (it's new) so I thought for the money invested I'm going to try it.

Ever heard of this one? Comments? ???