News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

A couple more questions about bike setup/tech

Started by rynoracing, March 07, 2007, 06:50:10 PM

rynoracing

I'm trying to understand the rule book as well as I can, and I dont want to fail tech and be out of luck, so I wanted to ask for some imput from the pros. 

The radiator overflow container needs another container in case it over flows?

The crank case needs vented to air box and air box drains plugged right? Wont that suck oil out and into the air box?

The stock oil cooler needs to be safety wired too?

I'm running a gsxr 1000, stock tires are 120 front and 190 rear, well thats whats been on it since I bought it.  Should I down size to a 180 for the rear for cornering?  Or will I need the extra rubber for acceleration?

What cold psi should I start a race with?  Front and rear differ?  I dont have tire warmers.  I think I'm going to start with pilot powers.  Maybe go to the power race after a while.

Well any info will be appreciated, Thanks all!!!

Woofentino Pugrossi

Radiator over flow tube needs to empty into an overflow container is correct.

Venting the breater shouldnt draw oil into the airbox.

Stock oil cooler. Hoses should be secured, just in case. When in doubt, wire it up.

A 180 should let it corner better than the 190, but you may like a 190.

As for cold psi, I used to ask the tire guy for suggestions. I ran my 600's between 28-32 depending on temps.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Super Dave

Tire PSI's are specific to manufacturers and some of their tires.  The current crop of Michelin DOT race tires run 22 PSI in the rear, as an example.

Internal pressures in the crankcase can develop resistance for the movment of pistons.  So, any sucking of that pressure from the air box is generally a great thing.  It doesn't have so much suction as to pull out oil.  If the engine is beginning to self destruct, and it's generating a whole lot more internal pressure, yes, actual oil will go into the air box.  But that might stop the motor from going completely nuclear, or nucular, depending upon how you pronounce it.

190 vs 180.  Yeah, what Rob said.  It does depend upon what the manufacturer actually recommneds from the racing side.  Don't go by written material.  Get a verbal answer from where you're going to buy your race tires at the track.  A 190 rear is generally going to have more opportunity for side grip.  But in some sizes, the "good" race tire isn't as readily available. 

The 190 can change your chassis.  Some manufacturers have a 195/60 rear which is dramatically taller than some tires.  Again, back to who's tires you're going to use.
Super Dave

Super Dave

Ah, Pilot Powers.  Yeah, the are pretty darn good tires.  Where are you going to be riding at?  They can benefit a bit from some heat.  Not a lot, but a little helps.  There are some threads about tire warmers.  Our general concensus is that we all try to use warmers pretty much any time so we don't waste one, two, or three laps of out time, and money, trying to warm something up.  That can leave one open for the risk of falling down on something that isn't really ready to go.
Super Dave