Gridding

Started by R6Chris760, February 02, 2003, 12:27:10 PM

R6Chris760

Does anyone know if CCS has considered gridding by best practice times rather than by who pays first?  Seems like there may be some better racing if the guy next to you is doing about the same lap times.

Chris

Woofentino Pugrossi

Though I saw someone ask about that a while back. The big problem with the 'qualifying' idea is what about the racers who only can race Sunday due to work or such that they cant get off fri or sat? Like many, my job is Mon-Fri with 1 sat a month. Someone said in the earlier thread, have the top 7 spots (2 rows) reserved for the top 7 in the standings in each class no matter if they pre register or register at the track. Generally would keep the fastest regular guys up front.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

R6Chris760

What I was thinking, was having the gridding correspond to the times that morning, so you would be ok getting there on Sunday.

Chris

Eric Kelcher

There is a place for gridding by qualifying it is PRO racing. Show up for a FUSA event you will run a qualifying session and be gridded based on that.

On CCS weekends there is not time for qualifying ONLY way to run qualifying is for each specfic class. All else has shades of gray slicks/DOTS/SB/GP/400/600/750/1000/singles.
Gridding is based on entry date, Anyone can be gridded up front register early! Going by points does NOT ensure fast guys up front and expense is higher(or at least can be) listen and follow my logic here IF you grid by points you would have to run all events to that point to have a good grid position aka spent $$$ if you are only running some events you enter for those events AKA spend $ now if you are running the whole series then you have equal dollars out granted some may be out for more time in advance. You plan your budget and dates in advance.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

oh344ccs

I don't think it would be hard at all to grid by morning practice times, heck a computer would keep the times, and seperate the classes too.  Maybee grid the top 5 in points, then go by times.  Then guys like me, who cannot afford the whole season get a fair chance to race for a win while not stuck behind guys running 10 secs slower per lap.  Its more of a saftey issue then anything else.  How many crazy chances have you taken to pass a slower rider early in a race so the leaders wouldn't get out too far, before you cleared traffic? :o

Thingy

I think it would be great to come up with a new method of gridding the bikes.  Gridding by morning lap times or class points are both a better idea than how it is done now, in my opinion.

I don't think that gridding by class points is possible.  When was the last time that CCS knew the point standings even a MONTH after a race.  ...and we won't even talk about the accuracy.

I think gridding by morning practice times IS possible.  After all, they did it last year for the Team Challenge races.  The only question is whether the staff has the time to do it for all the races of the day.  That might be tough.  There would also be some minor issues like using slicks in practice and then having that time used for gridding a Supersport race.

Either way, I would like to see a new method of gridding.  Especially since if you preregister for the whole year, they charge your card right away these days instead of a few weeks before.  (I understand their reasons for no longer doing it that way.)

Maybe if enough people post a request for new gridding rules, CCS will listen.  Maybe we can get it accomplished for this year, if not hopefully for next year.  How about it, Kevin?
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

twg

Eric:  I was going to pre-register for the first few races in the CMRA, but Nancy told me they would grid all the races (after the first one) by points position.  So I figured if I registered early enough for the first I would take whatever I earn after that.  Do you know some thing different?  I would still have time to salvage a spot or two closer to the front for TWS and MSR.

the_weggie_man

Ah, the good old days before 8 zillion freakin' classes.  Heat races on Sat. determined your grid position for Sun finals. Of course heat race grids were by entry but still better than your points race gridded by entry.  Another benefit of fewer classes ... but that's another thread. ;D

Super Dave

Forgot myself, Gordy.

I think practice times are good.  It's not about a pro race, it's about safety and some reasonable amount of equity.  Heats would be good.  I think ULGP and the new Sportbike class should be set up with heats or times.

I cannot afford to enter so far in advance.  CMRA?  You've got it good!  You have just a little bit of independence that helps you out.
Super Dave